“beautiful!”

Ranked #5 of 466 Hotels in New York City
New York City, New York
“beautiful!”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I live in New York but this is the hotel I recommend for anyone coming to stay who has a bit more of a budget. This is not a cheap place, but it is an impeccable one. The common areas are just terrific, the lounge and dining rooms are imaginatively and beautifully decorated. The restaurant is excellent and the location in the middle of Soho is wonderful. It's close to subways but also very easy to get a taxi and great to walk around. It's an elegant place, not child unfriendly, but not especially kid friendly either. I recommend it for lovers and very upmarket business travel. I go there for lunch often, it's a respite in the hubbub of New York.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Liat0001

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Arabic first
Paris
Reviewed February 27, 2014

The location, decor, and amenities in this celebrity studded hotel are exactly what you think they are going to be. Uber stylish and cool, the rooms are comfortable, the restaurant superb, the location perfect and to top it off they mix a mean martini in the bar.

The walk to the toilets from the bar is a bit of a trek and some of the staff were clearly hired more for their good looks and fashion magazine froideur than for their efficiency or even interest in their jobs. But it is all part of the fun. Who doesn't want to be ignored by a model in a painfully groovy Soho hotel?

Not really a businessman's hotel unless one is in film or fashion, but certainly worth staying in for those weekends when you simply must pretend that life is like a Sex and the City episode.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mpk17
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I decided to try out Firmdale's United States experience, based upon the strength of my previous stays at the company's properties in London. I was glad that I did.

It's almost like they have transplanted one of the London properties into SoHo. Arriving at the property presents the same feel as arriving in The Haymarket in London. Cheery faces and the now expected readiness to please attitude from the Front Office staff. My room as not quite ready on arrival, and I was politely shepherded into the restaurant adjacent the lobby and settled at the bar for a drink while I waited. This restaurant reminds me of Brumish as well. The same warm, comfortable furniture and English drawing room feel with uplifting colour added to the decor.

Once again, great food and beverage served with flair and confidence from the staff. The restaurant has a an outdoor terrace, which I can imagine would be lovely when the weather isn't -4C!

Now for the rooms. Again, that same British feel and complete with the transplanted bathrooms and British made tap ware. My shower door did not close properly and ended up with a large puddle around the toilet and moving towards the sink. A small matter, but could be dangerous as the tiles are grey and some people would not necessarily see the water on the floor, possibly slipping. A very comfortable bed as well as the signature seamstresses manikin in matching décor. My room looked out onto Crosby street with floor to ceiling glass windows to enjoy the very urban view. Double glazed windows shielded me from the street noise.

As far as the location is concerned, a great spot central to SoHo and surrounded by lots of shopping and food and beverage locations, literally a skip around the corner or across the road.

I've rated the property a 'Very Good' vs. excellent, for only one specific reason. My breakfast experience this morning and the behavior of the staff in the restaurant. Sadly, this disappointed me. It may be my feelings only, but I found the hostess surly when arriving for breakfast. I was really looking forward to the experience and this set me off on the wrong foot. As I type the manager is standing at another table mentioning, 'that breakfast is the most important meal of the day.' That should be matched with a cheery greeting when you arrive at what would otherwise be a great experience. This experience continued with my waitress determining that despite never having met me before, I would be referred to as 'honey', for the duration of the meal. I then got to listen to the staff discuss their love life.

For me, in this standard of property that is not acceptable and far too familiar when I am paying $600 USD per night to stay. I can see that the hotel does have a number of regulars and definitely agree that this type of rapport is both appropriate and familiar, as I would expect to be treated if that was my circumstance.

Having noted this, I would definitely stay here again. As I've noted before I really like what the Firmdale brand offers as an overall hospitality experience. Although the challenge of building a brand, is that customers then start to compare. On this occasion my comparison was related to the staff's manner and behavior compared to London and it came up a little short. I hope that this can be addressed so that the next stay moves my comments to 'Excellent'.

Room Tip: I have only faced Corsby St and that was nice.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Im_a_travlin_fool
London
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Stayed in June 2013. Very comfortable, very large bed (we stayed in a superior room on 11th floor) - great shower but no bath. The staff were all very friendly and genuinely helpful. The location is fabulous, right in the centre of the shopping area of Soho with its excellent boutique shops. They charged the wrong credit card when I left which cost me a lot in exchange rate and when I went back to them (after I had been home for 3 weeks in the UK) they refunded the difference with no issue - that's customer service at its best !! Oh it also has a nice bar and does a good breakfast !

Room Tip: Try and get room on upper floors as quieter and fab views
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed February 15, 2014

A visit to NY is not complete without a stay at the Crosby. Kit Kemp's stylish hotel is a must.
The rooms are lovely. The service excellent and the food delicious. Extremely well located in the heart of Soho close to fabulous shopping and trendy restaurants.
In the summer, the lovely patio allows you to enjoy outdoor dining in a cosy atmosphere.
The decoration throughout the hotel is refined yet whimsical which defines Kit Kemp's style.
She promotes artwork of young designers.
She is not known as the Hotel Queen for nothing. The Crosby Hotel summarizes what we love about the Brits : tradition and fun.
A must see - even for drinks

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Lage-Vuursche, The Netherlands
Reviewed February 15, 2014

We stayed at the Crosby Hotel for 4 nights (including new year's eve). The hotel is situated in the SoHo area and located near metro stations, pubs, restaurants, shops, shops, shops!
The rooms are nicely decorated and big. The bathroom is also spacious, the shower is wonderful!

The staff needs an extra mentioning: there are simply the best! Friendly & helpful and always with a smile! The restaurant is a nice but expensive, there are many nice restaurants in the neighborhood to choose.

Yes, this hotel is expensive but worth every dollar!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Canton, Texas
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Lovely, sizable rooms full of natural light. My room's outside wall was a floor to ceiling window and the ceilings are high. We were on the sixth floor. The transitional decor is warm, smart, clean and inviting. Beautiful color, wonderfully comfortable bed. The bathroom was well appointed and roomy. All the best.
The hotel is located on a cobblestone street in Soho, close to shopping, the High Line and the more historical parts of Manhattan. The frontdesk and concierge service was professional, friendly and helpful. We enjoyed refreshing drinks in the salon followed by a delicious meal in the restaurant. The Crosby is one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in and I will be returning later this month.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple