“Well...if you are really into industrial design...”
Review of Chambers Hotel

Chambers Hotel
Ranked #147 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Vienna, Austria
“Well...if you are really into industrial design...”
Reviewed March 29, 2010

Next time I'll try to stay in a more conservative in terms of design hotel. Pipes sticking out of dark grey concrete ceiling are just not my idea of a relaxing atmosphere. The service could be a little faster and it would help if the junior staff could speak some English;) I mean New York is still a part of an English speaking country, is it? But the location is superb!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Minneapolis
Reviewed March 26, 2010

I stayed at the Chambers Hotel this past week for two nights and was very impressed by the hotel (I tend to be a "Goldilocks" type when it comes to hotels and am very picky about hotels and overall service). The Chambers is a boutique hotel, nicely furnished with quirky art and modern lines. I had a basic room which had a fantastic architect's desk that was great for all of my papers and computer and was pleasantly surprised on how nice the room was, especially since I had gotten a great deal on it - about $260/night. And a nice amenity - free wifi! It kills me when you stay at expensive hotels and then they charge you $15 - 20 for wifi, so I thought this was a nice touch. The bathroom features a glass shower with a great showerhead and the hotel features Red Flower products, which I love and seem to be larger sized than normal. The bed was comfortable, the mini bar stocked (very tempting, but I managed to avoid dipping into it) and the room had more than enough room for all of your clothes.

The service is great; they have a nighttime turn down service and bring you bottled water and chocolates, which I thought was a nice touch. The doormen were wonderful! I remember the nighttime doorman's name (Jose) but they all were great. Always more than willing to call cabs, get an umbrella when it was raining and offered fantastic local coffee and lunch spots.

The location is key. It's blocks away from MOMA, Rockefeller Center, Trump Tower and all of the most wonderful shops in the world - Bergdorf's, Saks, H. Stern, Henri Bendel, Cartier, etc. Everything you need is basically right there.

If you love food, David Chang's latest restaurant, Ma Peche, is located on the Mezzanine level and was doing a soft opening while I was there. I didn't get a chance to try it when I stayed there, but I'm sure it'll be busy once it actually opens.

Overall, I loved this hotel and would definitely stay there when I return to NYC - for both work and personal stays.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank chic11gal
Paris
Reviewed March 22, 2010

Chambers is located in an ideal Midtown spot, if you are visiting New York the location is one of the best (although Soho will be as nice). The hotel is not a run of the mill one, with nice rooms, with a clear attempt at furnishing them pleasantly. The staff is friendly and we greatly enjoyed our stay. The price is on a par with the competition, i.e. "average". Only minus, we regular rooms look toward the back, where the noise from the big airconditioning plants from the nearby buildings is positively annoying. OK, they cannot be stopped, but the windows should be better quality and better noise-insulating.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Portland, OR
Reviewed March 16, 2010

My S-I-L and I recently shared a studio double on the 4th floor for 3 nights. The room was clean, roomy, and comfortable. The rain showerhead was great, and there was plenty of hot water.

We chose this hotel because it is located only a few blocks from Carnegie Hall. It is also close to MoMA, Rockefeller Center, St. Patrick's Cathedral, the 5th Avenue shopping district, and Central Park to name a few. There are many delis and restaurants located within a block or two of the hotel as well.

The hotel staff was extremely friendly and helpful every time we asked for information or assistance. My original return flight home was cancelled due to bad weather. I had no trouble changing to a smaller room for an extra evening, and I was allowed to check out at 2 pm the following day at no extra charge.

We ate breakfast on the mezzanine level each morning. The breakfast food was delicious and served promptly. Although breakfast was a little more expensive at the hotel, the mezzanine was a quiet and relaxing place to start our day.

We would both consider staying at this hotel again. The only minor complaints we had was the room lighting was not very bright, there wasn't any area information in the room, and we could hear a lot of street noise in the early morning hours (trash and delivery trucks?) I only noticed the noise when we were in the studio double because the room faces the street. The single room on the 9th floor faced the back of another building. Although the view wasn't as nice, I did not hear any street noise in the early morning.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Washington, D.C.
Reviewed March 16, 2010

superb service, rooms and decor... concierge made the impossible happen... decent room service... excellent turn down with bottles of water and candy... this very smart hotel is a welcome contrast to the typical snobbery found in high end hotels in manhattan. if the service remains at this level i have no doubt i'll stay again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 7, 2010

Fabulous location, fabulous hotel, fabulous room - industrial-esque twist to the rooms, bathroom made of (underfloor heated) concrete, fire pipe as a shower ........it has a cool and trendy vibe yet is most unpretentious. Highly recommended

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed December 22, 2009

We stayed four nights at the Chambers Hotel and had a great stay. The standard queen room was plenty of space for us, and the bathroom was modern and bright with a nice "rain" showerhead. There were plenty of bathroom amenities that were refilled on a regular basis by hosuekeeping. Rooms were kept very clean with a nice turndown service in the evening, complete with 2 chocolates and bottles of water. We did have a slight issue when they seemed to think only one person was in the room, only leaving one bottle of water for a couple of nights, and removing one of our robes, but this was resolved easily when I spoke to the staff.

Everyone on staff seemed very friendly and helpful. The lobby is comfortable and cozy and we enjoyed the second floor "Mezzanine" for drinks. Overall the hotel was very quiet. We never heard neighboring guests, but were able to hear some construction hammering in the building facing our room across the street during the week.

It would have been nice to have had some coffee making facilities in the room or have it complimentary in the hotel for guests. We ordered room service for breakfast our last morning, and it was quick to arrive and good.

The location is great for Central Park, 5th Ave. shopping, museums, and Rockefeller Center. It was sometimes difficult to get a taxi right on 56th street during rush hours, but you can always go to 5th or 6th to get one.

We would recommend this hotel for anyone considering staying in the Midtown area.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple