“Very Central Hotel”
Review of Chambers Hotel

Chambers Hotel
Ranked #143 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed May 31, 2014

After Vegas and the hotel Vdara, arriving late here we were a little disappointed. It was thundering and lightening outside and the rain was very heavy, so not the best introduction to New York. Having said that, the next morning, it began to grow on us, and although the room smelled a little foisty, and our room was the only one of the 3 that only had cold air, when we needed hot to dry our clothes out, we warmed to it. The bed was comfy and the bathroom was well stocked with toiletries and a lovely powerful shower. As a woman I always look for a plug near a mirror for doing hair and putting on makeup, this room was sadly lacking and I had to use the bathroom, which was awkward when my husband was also trying to get ready.
I must mention Ty, the doorman that was there for the 3 days we were, he was lovely, and gave us a lot of information and help about New York etc.
The bar is not wonderful, as there are only 4 stools against it and nowhere else to sit, and the coffee shop is used by the public as well as hotel guest's so always queues for a coffee. Having said that, guests have free tea and coffee throughout their stay, which is a bonus, and after getting back late one night, one of our party asked for a cup of coffee and they took a kettle, coffee, milk etc up to his room and replenished them every day.
This hotel is in a fantastic place for sightseeing, near Central Park and Times Square, Carnegie Hall was on the corner of the street, and the underground was only 5 minutes walk away. If we had started our tour of America here, we would have thought it was good immediately, a typical City Hotel, but very friendly.

Room Tip: We had a side room which didn't have any view at all. If you want a view ask for a front room...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2014

Dear ab1953,

It surely sounds like an exciting arrival. I understand you would have preferred a private coffee lounge and an extra plug. We can certainly add the outlet, although a private coffee bar will be a tad more difficult.

I will gladly pass your kind words to Ty.

Kindly,

Reviewed May 26, 2014

I was there just for 2 nights but I have to say Jose was AWESOME!!! He met me at the door, took my bags and brought them up to my room and had the best personality (he wasn't too bad to look at either!). He also stood in the rain and hailed me a cab, gave me directions to where I needed to go and all with a smile! The rooms were nice and clean. Bed was comfortable! Turn down service was great with chocolate on your pillow! But the best part was that rain shower.....it didn't just trickle down. It was a full on rain storm!! The water pressure was awesome.....I didn't want to get out from under the water. And since I was staying over in NY from my 9 day trip from Ireland, that shower made a world of difference!

Only a couple of complaints: when I stepped off the elevator for my floor, the hallway smelt like smoke. I didn't know if that floor was a smoking floor or not but it kind of lingered a bit and it wasn't really appealing. Also, it was a bit far from everything that I wanted to do. That's not the hotels fault obviously but if you're wanting to go out to sight see (WTC) or be closer to the restaurants in like little Italy or drinks down on Stone Street then find a hotel closer ( wish Chambers could be that hotel but it's not :( ) This hotel is great for shopping on 5th Ave. though.... All kinds of shopping and walking distance from the hotel along with some great museums!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Michelle L
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2014

Dear Michelle L,

Jose is very handsome indeed, but best of all he is terrifically kind and helpful and knowledgeable and and and simply one of the finest gentlemen around. We are very lucky in having him with us.

We are very pleased you enjoyed the hotel in general.

Surely let me know when you are next visiting New York or simply laying over and I will be happy to suggest a few hotels closer to your preferred sights, though we'd be very happy to have you back and show you a few of our neighborhood's hidden gems.

In all events, many thanks for your kind words.

Reviewed May 25, 2014

My husband & I just returned home after a fantastic week at the Chambers Hotel in New York City.
The staff is friendly & helpful, especially Robert who handled door (and sometimes concierge) duties with a smile and useful information about the midtown area eating places and points of interest. While we totally enjoyed our grand daughter's graduation from NYU and many other memorable events and tours, at the end of each day we looked forward to getting back to the Chambers for a comfortable sleep.

Room Tip: we had 11th floor street view. Lovely to look out the windows at night
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2014

Dear Yvonne B,

Congratulations on your granddaughter's graduation; all the pleasure , none of the tsuris.

Too, we are very happy to know you found Chambers to be a haven, it is what we always strive for.

Robert is a font of pleasure and knowledge. I'll surely pass along your kind words.

Please let me know when you next find yourself headed our way and I will be delighted to assist you with all.

Kindly,

Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for three nights and from the moment we arrived till the moment we left, the staff where very friendly and polite always happy and cheery. Their was a nice relaxing feeling about the place.

We was lucky enough to stay on the 11th floor and the view we got was impressive. If I ever get the chance to come back to new york this hotel would be my first choice.

The ataff are a credit to the hotel name.

Thanks for your hospitality.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank graham m

Dear graham m,

You are entirely welcome.

Wow, perfection! Many thanks.

Please do come back, anytime.

Again, sincere thanks on sharing your views.

Yours kindly,

Reviewed May 13, 2014

Have stayed here myself when need a bolt hole here at home and always send out of town guests here.
Here's what it's not: 5-star, traditional, over-the-top fancy with spa and gym.
Here's what it is:
A clean, contemporary 4-star hotel with most 5-star amenities (great restaurant by David Chang, room service, turn down...). David Rockwell designed it and the look is aging well and management keeps the rugs and soft goods updated.
Terrifically comfortable - exceptional beds, spacious work desk, free generally good wifi and exceptional showers. The baths are a little small - might put toilteries on desk/bar combo.
Unbeatable location - 56th between 5th and 6th is an "evolving" block. Interesting mix of old-style restaurants and fashion showrooms that's going upmarket fast (Firmdale from London is doing their newest project across the street) with great public transportation connections.
Excellent value - for me this is the best price/value option in Manhattan most nights.

Finally and most importantly: the staff can't be beat. They're friendly, knowledgeable, competent and fun. When they say "Welcome home" you feel like: yeah this could be home (if only mine were as stylish).

Room Tip: Back rooms are darker, but very quiet. Front rooms have good glazing, but can be a little noisy. P...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank ez2plsNYC
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2014

Hello ez2plsNYC,

May we humbly suggest you are easy to please because you have discernment, knowing what you like and what you do not. We are very please indeed we have what you like.

David did a fine job, his first ever ground up, in making a timeless hotel. We have our fantastic Executive Housekeeper and Engineer to thank for their endless dedication to ensuring everything is spotless and current.

We have every single person who works with us to thank for their full on enthusiasm for the work they have chosen. They are a pleasure to work with every day, all day.

When next you want an in-town getaway ( though I truly like 'bolt hole") please call me directly and I would very much like to say hello and introduce myself.

Yours kindly,

Reviewed May 13, 2014

My partner took me to NYC for my birthday 8/5/14 Well he picked a great hotel .. From the second we got to the door we where greeted by extremely friendly door staff and receptionist. Hotel was lovely very clean and quirky feel to it . Room was cosy and bed where very comfortable .. Bottled Water and bed turned down every day we loved our three nights there .!! Hotel is very central to everything ( maybe to Central to all the shops) haha.! Overall fantastic hotel & I will highly recommend it. Thank you to the staff very helpful for all our needs and directions! I will definitely be back.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Suzanne J,

First, happy belated birthday and many more with health and good fun. From our point of view, you picked a terrific partner.

We are close to many things and we are glad you had a fine time.

Thank you for spreading the word and I will surely spread your appreciation to all at Chambers.

Thank you again for your kind words.

See you soon,

Reviewed May 11, 2014

My wife and I frequent New York and thought that we’d try something new, we came across The Chambers Hotel and booked.

My wife is extremely fussy and walks into a place a makes immediate judgment, this time was different; she said nothing on entering as Ty and Kitty who were extremely welcoming greeted us. Although my wife had greeted them she still hadn’t given me the look as to say what she thought. We made our way to the room and again were impressed. A lot of hotels have pictures on their sites, which draw you in and upon arrival you find you have been sold a lie. Not the case with The Chambers!

The rooms were stylish, clean and cozy. What sets this Hotel apart from the rest is their exceptional customer service. The staff at The Chambers bring it to life, creating a comfortable, welcoming and warm atmosphere. Staff with personality, who remember the small details, gives it that personal touch. Ty, Kitty and Ola, Thank You! You made our stay all the more enjoyable.

Oh and the wife, she eventually said something... she LOVED IT! We'll definitely be back!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SheIsFussy
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2014

Dear AfiAttah,

Wow, we love passing the fussy spouse test. I imagine it pleased you as well.

Thank you very kindly for the recognition of our truly outstanding staff. I am only too happy to pass along your words of praise; they are, after all, the ones who make it all happen.

Here's to truth in advertising.

Surely let me know when next you find yourselves headed this side of the Atlantic and we will look forward to welcoming you again.

Yours,