New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Chambers Hotel

Chambers Hotel
Ranked #72 of 478 Hotels in New York City
london
“Cool boutique hotel in an excellent location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is fantastic if you are wanting a helpful buzzy concierge, comfy room and amazing shower with good products!!!

The best thing for us (20 something couple with friends also staying in New York) was the staff. They reserved us tables at gorgeous reataurants and helped with bar recommendations. As this was our first trip to New York, we found that extremely helpful.

People have commented on the dark hallways, not a problem for us. From the lift to room is about 5 m! Even if it was pitch black you could find your room. It wasnt though, and we thought it added to the cool ambience of the hotel. Standard room was a good size considering how much time you spend in it and furnishings were good quality and room was clean.

Token for free drink at the bar next door was a nice touch. We went on our second day to use it (there was no limit to which drink you could order).

Overall a good choice of hotel for a trip to New York. All the big stores around the corner and central park practically on the doorstep. Oh, and quality meats (a restaurant the hotel recommended-yum!) is 5 mins walk!

ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear little-wrigglers,

We are thrilled you found Chambers to your liking and very pleased you utilized our fine concierges.

Thank you for your all around kind words; I will certainly share them with our entire staff. They will very much appreciate the recognition and we very much appreciate your sharing your good times with TripAdvisor.

Please let me know if I am able to be of any assistance in booking your next trip to New York and Chambers.

Yours kindly,

Chambers Hotel
15 west 56th Street
New York, NY 10019

212 204 7710

ahawkins@chambershotel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Brookline, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Hip but not pretentious, three blocks from MoMA and FAO Schwartz, Playstations in the stylish spacious rooms, fantastic dining and drinks at Ma Peche. (check out the Little Kings & corn whiskey happy hour). And competitively priced. We've stayed several times, and are welcomed like returning family.

Room Tip: Fitness center at nearby NY Fitness Club.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Anthony F
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Hello Anthony F.

We are always delighted to have you with us.

Thanks for the shout out.

Ansell
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Friendly , attentive staff , great rooms and a wonderful location . This really is a marvellous hotel for a visit to New York . A great restaurant too and a real feel for the city . The restaurant has an interesting and exciting menu -a real metropolitan feel to the place. The bar was every European feels a New York bar should be . So close to the theatres , Central Park and the museums . A great find . I would certainly go back and recommend the hotel to anyone looking for a real experience of the city and hope that it won't be too long before we're back again .

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Michael R
Dear Michael R.

We are delighted you found Chambers; we love New York and are indeed very lucky to be placed smack in its center, with all Central Park as our back yard.

Please do come again and feel free to contact me directly that I may assist you with reservations and general man about town sort of things.

Thank you again for your kind words and taking the time to share them with Trip Advisor.

Yours kindly,

Slc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Somehow this hotel manages to feel hopelessly hip and utterly friendly at the same time. Our room was lovely, quiet and dark when we needed that (we were allowed to check in early after arriving on the red-eye. ) Amazing shower. The staff was helpful and personable, and the location perfect. I hope the prices stay in my budget-I'd love to stay here again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Jennifer C,

Many thanks on your kind words and thank you, too, for sharing them.
Oh, those red-eyes!
We would love to have you again and again and again...., please let me know and I will be happy to assist you with all your arrangements.

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

Stayed there 3 times in past 6 months, and generally enjoyed it.
PROS:
Location is great for shopping and going to museums and Central Park. Most staff are very friendly. Shower has great water pressure but I always flood the bathroom because there's no shower door. Room size is okay for one person, like the colors.

CONS:
My colleague, my boyfriend and myself all find that there's too little space in bathrrom to put stuff like vanity bag. One time I dropped my hairbrush in the toilet :( Standard rooms are mostly quite dark without much light coming in. Food selection is quite limited, though in room dining portions are quite big (one time I had a HUGE plate of baby carrots which took me 2 days to finish). House cleaning can do better job - a few days ago I found my icecream cup still on the table the next day after room cleaning and they forgot to refill cotton pads. Not a big issue though. While reception staff are mostly super friendly, when I previously called the reception before arrival checking for info, staff voice was robotic and sounded annoyed. My email to reception also had no reply. Booking of car transfer also was not recorded in system.

Overall it's a nice little hotel with its charm. Just hope management could maintain great service consistently online or offline.

ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Dear Tangmay,

Thank you very kindly for writing and I am indeed quite sorry for your lackluster visit. It is vital we are able to see Chambers through the eyes of others and especially through those of our loyal guests.

Please contact me directly and let me know when your next visit brings you to New York and I will be certain you are well cared, i.e., we have got additional storage for your toiletries, I can suggest rooms where light is in abundance and I will ensure you understand the entire Ma Peche menu is available for lunch and dinner, thereby offering you the full selection from our stellar restaurant.

Once again, thank you so very much for your forthright comments and I truly hope I have the opportunity to meet you very soon.

Kind regards,

Brunswick, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Comfortable, spacious rooms and bathrooms, interesting decor, unfailingly friendly and helpful staff, unbeatable location. What's not to love??! An added quirky perk - every room we've had at the Chambers has offered a view of nearby rooftops where you can see several of those fascinating wooden water towers that I think are unique to New York.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear EminMaine,

Thank you for loving Chambers. We cannot disagree. Those water towers, ubiquitous as they are, are now made by only two companies. Nice work, if you can get it.

Enjoy what is likely a quiet snowed in morning in Brunswick.

General Mananger
Midland, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Three great days with friends enjoying the perfect location for shopping, dinning and seeing a couple of shows. Small hotel and very comfortable. Easy to get in and out with out wasting time waiting for busy elevators. Service was fantastic as well as the recommendations of the newest and best places to dine.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends