WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #87 of 477 Hotels in New York City
Slc
“Zero complaints”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

Somehow this hotel manages to feel hopelessly hip and utterly friendly at the same time. Our room was lovely, quiet and dark when we needed that (we were allowed to check in early after arriving on the red-eye. ) Amazing shower. The staff was helpful and personable, and the location perfect. I hope the prices stay in my budget-I'd love to stay here again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Jennifer C,

Many thanks on your kind words and thank you, too, for sharing them.
Oh, those red-eyes!
We would love to have you again and again and again...., please let me know and I will be happy to assist you with all your arrangements.

Ansell Hawkins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Hebrew first
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

Stayed there 3 times in past 6 months, and generally enjoyed it.
PROS:
Location is great for shopping and going to museums and Central Park. Most staff are very friendly. Shower has great water pressure but I always flood the bathroom because there's no shower door. Room size is okay for one person, like the colors.

CONS:
My colleague, my boyfriend and myself all find that there's too little space in bathrrom to put stuff like vanity bag. One time I dropped my hairbrush in the toilet :( Standard rooms are mostly quite dark without much light coming in. Food selection is quite limited, though in room dining portions are quite big (one time I had a HUGE plate of baby carrots which took me 2 days to finish). House cleaning can do better job - a few days ago I found my icecream cup still on the table the next day after room cleaning and they forgot to refill cotton pads. Not a big issue though. While reception staff are mostly super friendly, when I previously called the reception before arrival checking for info, staff voice was robotic and sounded annoyed. My email to reception also had no reply. Booking of car transfer also was not recorded in system.

Overall it's a nice little hotel with its charm. Just hope management could maintain great service consistently online or offline.

ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Dear Tangmay,

Thank you very kindly for writing and I am indeed quite sorry for your lackluster visit. It is vital we are able to see Chambers through the eyes of others and especially through those of our loyal guests.

Please contact me directly and let me know when your next visit brings you to New York and I will be certain you are well cared, i.e., we have got additional storage for your toiletries, I can suggest rooms where light is in abundance and I will ensure you understand the entire Ma Peche menu is available for lunch and dinner, thereby offering you the full selection from our stellar restaurant.

Once again, thank you so very much for your forthright comments and I truly hope I have the opportunity to meet you very soon.

Kind regards,

Brunswick, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

Comfortable, spacious rooms and bathrooms, interesting decor, unfailingly friendly and helpful staff, unbeatable location. What's not to love??! An added quirky perk - every room we've had at the Chambers has offered a view of nearby rooftops where you can see several of those fascinating wooden water towers that I think are unique to New York.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear EminMaine,

Thank you for loving Chambers. We cannot disagree. Those water towers, ubiquitous as they are, are now made by only two companies. Nice work, if you can get it.

Enjoy what is likely a quiet snowed in morning in Brunswick.

General Mananger
Midland, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

Three great days with friends enjoying the perfect location for shopping, dinning and seeing a couple of shows. Small hotel and very comfortable. Easy to get in and out with out wasting time waiting for busy elevators. Service was fantastic as well as the recommendations of the newest and best places to dine.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Surfers Paradise, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

Only stayed one night for NYE and the staff were accommodating with my early check in request - only had to wait 15-20min for a room despite checking in a few hours early. The standard room is decent size with comfy bed and modern tv but no view. Fairly small bathroom but the rain shower has the best water pressure of all hotels I've stayed. There were intermittent issues with wifi but the front desk staff were quick to advise once resolved. Special mention should go to the ladies at the front desk who were friendly & helpful at all times during the stay.

Chambers have a handy reciprocal arrangement with local fitness centre which includes use of their indoor heated swimming pool. Also the hotel is connected to both Momofuku Milk bar and Má Pêche for tasty treats. I ate brekky at Má Pêche which was enjoyable but it would be great to have the option of selecting more than one item with the full breakfast.

Only a couple of small negatives - the doorman seems to be overworked as guests often seemed to help each other out with heavy luggage and opening the front doors. Also the room temp was ridiculously hot so it was necessary to open the window to let in some cool air in the middle of winter!

Overall a short but enjoyable stay in a convenient midtown location. Would happily return in future if rates stay consistently good value for NYC.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

As we live only an hour from NYC, we do not often stay in a hotel when in the city but our overnight stay at the Chambers was a gift. We were greeted at the door and shown to our room by a very pleasant man. The hotel is somewhat spartan in its decor, almost like it is not too sure of its identity with very modern architectural elements yet retro style radio and conventional key entry to the rooms. The heat was a bit inconsistent and very dry. The rainshower was great with super water pressure if a bit noisy. Also, if your room faces the back of the hotel the generators on the nearby roofs can be a bit loud, then again, you are in the city so get used to it. If all you are looking for is a nice clean, no frills hotel that is reasonably priced in a midtown location then this is the hotel for you.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear CTreviewer,
We think a trip down to the city should be a relaxing and unhurried thing and so were very glad to know you planned an overnight and thrilled you choose Chambers. We’ve deliberately chosen to keep the aesthetic simple and straightforward as a counterpoint to the hustle and bustle of New York, as well as to marry the vibe of downtown loft living with the luxury of an uptown townhouse; ergo, cashmere blankets, boiled wool ottomans, leather desk blotters. Additionally, we have a few whimsical touches to bring a bit of levity.
As for the sound of our shower heads, that is simply a function of the rushing water that makes our showers so fantastic as to folks never wanting to get out.
We do hope to see you again and I would be delighted to handle your booking personally and take you on a tour of our art work, as each hallway has its own site specific art installation.
Kindly,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

The best thing about this hotel is the location. It is right off the glamorous 5th Ave. and there are plenty of places to eat and a 24-hour Duane Reade drugstore nearby. This is a small boutique hotel with a creative flair.

PROS: friendly service, excellent valet service, strong rainhead shower, full-length mirror, wi-fi, cozy sitting area on 2nd floor
CONS: very small hotel, dark hallways, small bathroom, window doesn't open on lower floors

I liked their scroll-up writing pad and color pencils on the desks but flip-flop slippers were a bit uncomfortable for us. The hallway is really narrow and small that you can basically hear your neighbors coming and going. It's not a luxury hotel where you feel pampered and probably best suits couples or adults who want a trendy 4-star hotel in a great location. The on-site restaurant, Ma Peche, is popular and has a nice vibe but their lunch menu is very unique.

Room Tip: Get a high floor if you want to open windows.