“"Wonderful staff and terrific room"”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Chambers Hotel

Chambers Hotel
Ranked #139 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Lake Forest
“"Wonderful staff and terrific room"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

Wonderful hotel in a midtown location. Very convenient to Central Park. The design and appointments to the room were fabulous. Loved the ability to open the large windows. The staff was friendly, helpful, and gave wonderful suggestions. Enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear Whynotgo,
Why not, indeed!
Thank you very much for your appreciative review. Nothing makes me happier than being able to pass along to our staff the results of their hard work in the form of your kind words. They are, after all, the ones who make it happen. They love New York and are constantly out and about finding the very best of what our great city has to offer.
Windows, even in a crowded, busy city, are made to open and let it all in. We have made certain, though, upon closing that they keep it all out.
I am very glad you had such a fine visit and please do not hesitate contacting me when next you find yourself heading to town. I would be please to assist you.
Kindly,
Ansell Hawkins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Hebrew first
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

I stayed for five nights. All my usual hotels were booked up, and I had never heard of Chambers before. I would definitely stay again. Very good location, convenient to subways, the room was nice, clean, the window opened (which is something I crave when I'm on the road for too long), overall a really above-average experience. I have to say, I don't get the trendy thing about dark lobby, dark elevator and dark hallways, though.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear MN,

We are very glad you found us. We keep a low profile as a respite from the hustle and bustle of Midtown, a place where our guests may feel secure and calm and, now that a chill has settled on New York, are able to find a spot by the fire for a drink or chat.

I, too, am glad our windows open and not just a tad but full out. Is anything finer than a nap on a day when the breeze is fresh and the city carries on and one can loll about and watch the clouds on the skyline?

I will check the light level for the lobby, though we keep the hallways a tad low as we find guests tend to speak a bit more quietly.

We do hope you will come back again and again. Please feel free to contact me directly.

Thank you very much for your kind review,

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

We recently stayed at the Chambers for 2 nights, and really enjoyed the room. The room was spacious and had a great layout, and the washroom was well appointed and spacious as well. The hotel is centrally located, close to great shopping and restaurants. As there are not too many rooms at the hotel, we were well taken care of by all staff.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Scott,

Thank you for your kind words, especially on being well cared for. I am always delighted to pass along praise to our terrific staff, who in fact, make it all happen.

I am please you enjoyed both your room and the hotel’s prime location. Chambers is indeed a gem in perfect setting and it is always a fine to be recognized.

Surely feel free to contact me directly when next you are arriving in New York, I will be happy to handle all your arrangements.

Kindly,

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

I stayed here recently with my partner who was on business in New York. My first impression of the room wasn't that great - they do feel a little stark and functional, but as our stay went on we really warmed to the decor and 'got' the thinking behind it.
We had room 72 which looked over the street and gave a good view of some of the skyscrapers nearby. The hotel is located literally just off Fifth Avenue giving easy access to Times Sqaure, Central Park and of course some fantastic shopping (if arriving onto Fifth by the Subway as I did then use Abercrombie and Fitch as your turning reference as the hotel is right past the side of their 5th Ave store).

Despite my initial dislike of the room it has to be said that for a standard room in New York (or any city for that matter) it was a fantastic size. It was also spotlessly clean with lots of storage and a very comfy queen bed. Our bathroom had just the rainhead shower, which was the best I've ever used - spacious with great water pressure and you could be easily tempted to stay in all day.

We had room service breakfast a couple of times during the stay. The oatmeal with fruit was absolutely delicious, however the hot traditional breakfast items were just okay. The first day I ordered expresso with brekafast to stave off the jet lag and by the time it arrived it was stone cold. Simple things like butter were forgotten on another occassion, and the toast per slice was tiny, simple mistakes and downfalls but let me tell you this doesn't come cheap! By the time they've added everybody's cut on and all the different percentage charges our breakfast came to near on $70 so watch out for that. With Starbucks at the end of the street and so many other options I think it might be worth eating breakfast out.

Another disappointment for us was the hotel's dry cleaning facility. I didn't opt for the same day option for a jacket I needed to be cleaned so paid for the lesser priced overnight option - however the jacket was back within five hours. Great you might say, under promise and over deliver; the jacket however felt slightly damp (dry clean?!) smelt strongly of a fishy smell that just wouldn't budge and not only was it ironed really badly but we've snce realised that it has shrunk! All for the bargain price of $15.

All encounters with the staff were friendly, and a problem with our in-room safe was dealt with speedily. Take time to find all of your light switches before settling down for the night as they're not all controlled by the switches beside the bed which is a little frsutrating.

One final thing to watch out for - my partner asked for a cab to JFK to be organised for our last day, however when it showed up it was infact a car with a driver. Nice touch until you relaise that it's over $30 more expensive than a cab ($90!). Also as the journey was on company expenses we had to pay by card - to say that the driver was less than impressed is an undertstement as he said that the hotel had told him that it would be a cash fare.

Over all, despite the negatives I did feel relaxed and at home at the hotel. A few small issues need tidying up to make what is a good hotel now, an excellent one in the future. Would I long to return to Chambers or choose it for a break to NY? Probably not.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
ChambersNewYork, General Manager at Chambers Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Good afternoon, Sir.

Thank you kindly for your forthright feedback; it is the very best way for us to understand how we are viewed and I am hugely appreciative of your having taken the time.

I am glad to know you enjoyed the room and the thought and design which went into all, as well as appreciating the cleanliness and order. It is indeed a subtle ambience and not all ‘get it’. It is to your great credit that you were willing to give the consideration and ultimately find its value.

I am sorry and surely apologize for your jacket. Please let me know via phone or email and we can discuss making it right.

My apologies, too, for your less than stellar experience with Má Pêche, as they are a quite fine restaurant . It is very true that it is all in the details and I am very sorry these were missed.

I would be very grateful to speak with you in person or via email, that perhaps we may entreat to yearn to revisit Chambers

Yours kindly,

212 204 7710
ahawkins@chambershotel.com
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

The staff is excellent and helpful. The hotel is in a great location. The room is modern, quiet, clean, and comfortable. (The only negative is the valet parking garage which is not at the hotel and is also not hotel staff.)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Skyline446,

Thank you for your kind words and we are very happy you enjoyed your time in New York and at Chambers.

I am sorry to hear parking arrangements left an unpleasant taste. Please do let me know the particulars and I will have the charge removed from your bill. There is never any need to pay for poor service.

I look forward to hearing from you re; your bill and surely upon your return as I'd like very much to handle your reservation and to meet you.

Kind regards,

212 204 7710
Genève, Suisse
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

I stayed at Chambers at least 10 times during the last 3 years – for stays form 3 to 7 nights) as I was travelling every 3-4 months to New York for business. First time the place was recommended by a colleague as it was very conveniently located not far from our headquarters and then I always choose to come back to this fantastic hotel as it really became my “home away from home” when I was in New York.

The size of this boutique hotel is just perfect and it is very appreciable to be personally greeted and recognized when you come back instead of always having to deal with different persons as it is the case in biggest places. All the staff here is really kind, dedicated and always smiling and helpful (from doormen to housekeepers, including front desk of course).
The rooms are great, large, modern, well-equipped (the beds are so comfortable) and well designed with a special mention to the fantastic powerful showers. You should prefer the ones facing the street as the interior ones are a bit dark and noisy because of the air conditioning system.

As I recently took a new job in another company I will unfortunately travel less frequently to New York but I will still choose this perfect hotel for my business and private stays as well (and quite soon as I will spend 6 days in NY – in Chambers of course – with my family around Christmas this year !).

Room Tip: The best ones are the street ones, especially the corner ones.