“Not worth the money”

Ranked #139 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Europe
“Not worth the money”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2011

The location of the hotel could not be better.
However, the staff is too young and not very helpful.
The room was too dark and depressing and the room service is average.
The lobby is disappointing.
Sorry guys!

Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank EuropeAnonymous

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Hebrew first
Atlanta
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

I checked into the Chambers for my one night stay around 130 am. I was very late because my flight was delayed due to weather. Needless to say, I was very tired and had to get up early in the morning for an important business meeting. As I checked in, I thought the lobby and the surroundings of the hotel seemed drab - especially for a 500/night hotel. I was tired and just wanted to get to bed so I was willing to look past it. When I got to my room I checked for bed bugs - as I always due when staying in NYC. I lifted up the mattress on both sides. On one side I found about 15-20 strange looking dark spots ranging from the size of a dime to that of a quarter. Looked like mold, but was not sure. Very odd. I was so tired I debated just looking past it, but then decided to scoop some up with a tissue to see what it was. I couldn't say exactly what it is but it was thick, gooey and slimy and overall just nasty. So I took the tissue and took it down to the front desk along with my belongings. I told the clerk I was leaving, did not expect to be charged for the room (I was there all of 15 min), and I gave him the tissue with the mystery goo. I went a few blocks away and checked into the Palace hotel for 309 a night Much, much nicer hotel, 200 cheaper, and no goo.

Whats worse is the Chambers still charged me for the stay and refuses to take off the charge. If you choose to stay here, you have been warned.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
15 Thank GoldGloveTraveler
montecarlo
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2011

dark and depressing. for the money, it was awful. admittedly the location was convenient, but there are much better hotels for that money in the same area. do not be deceived by the photos. we had trouble finding the entrance of the hotel because it looke like a delivery back door.the hotel felt like somebody needed to turn the lights on. our room was small and sparce.i am all for modern and arty but the bathroom was damp and looked like something out of an aging mental hospital.breakfast was served in a windowless bar/dining room. i couldnt wait to get out.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank tiffMontecarlo
McLean, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2011

So this is one of those hidden gems that you are loathe to write about because you don't want everyone else in the world discovering it (so you won't be able to get in the next time you want to go back!). With only a limited amount of rooms, you get the charm of a staff at a country inn (that remembers who you are and what you're up to) and couple it with the modern asethetic and service of a high-end big city hotel. We found each and every employee helpful from the moment we arrived (several hours before check in and were immediately given an upgraded room since ours was not yet available) until we checked out and the doorman asked my daughter how she had enjoyed her trip to the zoo (three days before). Every time we needed something from late turn down service (they called to check on timing since we had not called them at 9:30pm) to a restaurant recommendation, we were not transferred or told to "talk to someone else" as often happens at large, highly rated hotels. So aside from the terrific service experience and unbeatable midtown location, for me, the best part of the rooms themselves had to be the showers...this was the BEST hotel shower that I have experienced in a hotel. In addition the nicely pressured rain shower, the shampoo and conditioner and soap were full size so you did not run out and have to call for more after one person showered. The evening amenity at turn down was a glass bottle of Saratoga water and a Lindt chocolate...just the perfect thing to complement a lovely stay. We will be back to this hotel each and every time we are in NYC.

Room Tip: Treat yourself to an upgraded room with a terrace!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank DiscerningTraveler88
Santa Rosa, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2011

What a great little boutique hotel. The towering wood entry doors with monster handles hide the lovely, little hip lobby from the bustling street. So sleek inside from floor to ceiling. The staff -- from the doorman to the concierge -- are fantastic. Spent a week here on business and couldn't have been happier. The rooms are of decent size and contemporary.. Nice remodel. The shower is HUGE for New York. And very hot. Awesome rain-style shower head. Very convenient for running in Central Park and getting to Columbus Circle. I'll definitely stay here again. Bonus that there is a David Chang restaurant attached!!!

Room Tip: Have the concierge book you dinner at Ma Peche.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Lisa M
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2011

I have just returned from our trip to Chambers Hotel and had an excellent stay at Chambers. Everything from check in to check out was great.

The location in my opinion is perfect for NY, just off 5th Avenue on the corner of Abercrombie and 3 blocks down from the park. There are multiple subway stops nearby so getting around once there couldn't be easier.

The staff were very accommodating and helpful and were able to arrange passed to a local gym for us and helpful with directions.

The rooms are very elegantly decorated with a rough edge, there is exposed pipework in the ceiling and a concrete wall, however this is all soften with plush cushions and decor. The chocolates that arrived every night were a nice touch! The shower in the bathroom was INCREDIBLE, like standing under a waterfall, and the products smelled divine. The only downside to the room was that it was slightly small (although I believe for NYC it would probably be considered large) and the lack of view, we looked onto another building. These are however very small complaints, you are not their to look out of a window, if you want to see New York, walk out the front door and it is all there in front of you. There was also free wi-fi throughout the hotel which is really helpful to us as tourists.

We didn't eat in the restaurant but only heard good things, next time would like to check it out. We were given a free drink at the bar which was a lovely area and a great asset to the hotel.

We booked through Jet Setter so got an amazing rate which was $200 per night, including all tax, so for this money it was an incredible offer and was easily worth much more.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone, in fact will be recommend to my Dad who is a fairly fussy traveller!

Stay here, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PhileasF0gg
Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2011

As I agree with most of the comments other posters in the very good-to-excellent range have already made, I'll add only a few thoughts. First, my wife booked this through Mr. & Mrs. Smith (http://www.mrandmrssmith.com/us/) and got what I thought was a great rate ($250/night) for a Friday and Saturday night at the end of January. This medium-sized (77 rooms) hotel features an industrial environment with a bit of color and warmth ... which suited us just fine. Overall, it’s clean and modern with nice touches like the beautiful two-story lobby area with lots of small areas to have a drink, read, etc. The rooms have all sorts of nice touches too, like the 60’s era glass drafting table with rolled drafting paper. (Room 94 is a corner with full length windows that open.) And bring your ipod for the radio. The service could not have been warmer ... not the affected snarkyness you occasionally run into in these parts. The doorman will valet park your car for $35 a night – a lot for elsewhere, but not bad for the middle of NYC. We didn’t eat in the restaurant, but found the bar to be very nice. We’d certainly stay there again for the same price or a bit more.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple