“awesome place”

Harlem Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #48 of 78 New York City B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Great place, love the complimentary breakfast delicatessen and pastries
The kitchen is convenient and the beds are perfect sized for a place in NY. The housekeeping was wonderful; the owner was such a charming man
The location is great-- a short walk to the subway and Central Park

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Sexyinsouciance

Reviewed September 24, 2013

It looked so promising, but was not. The room was so small i had to move my bag to get out the door, the place was noisy, the room was so stuffy but with the air-conditioning you could not think for the noise. Then there was the noise from the bathroom next door, not very pleasant. I rang the owner to try to get an upgrade after the desk clerk could not assist but after 4 calls, 4 hours and now reply I left. Some of the other rooms maybe nicer but not where I was. I have stayed in B & B's all over the world and this was by far the worst.

Room Tip: Don't ever get the the single room - its next to the bathroom, has no windows and is the size of...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I do recommend Harlem B&B. It was very clean, very reasonable. I would definitely stay there again. As long as you know that it is a shared bathroom, enjoy the considerate service and all this b&b has to offer!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We enjoyed our stay in Harlem Bed and Breakfast. The room was great, very clean, with our own sink, fridge, stove top and microwave (if I remember correctly about the microwave). The shared bathroom was fine, close to our room and we never had to wait to use it. In fact when both of us wanted to shower at the same time one of us used the bathroom on the other floor and we still didn't have to wait. The beds were oddly short, which was fine for me as I am 5'2" but it would be a problem for anybody tallish, for example, I would not recommend my 5'11" sister stay here for this reason alone.

We felt really safe in this part of Harlem, it is very convenient, close to the subway, close to Central Park. We walked downtown several times from this place (which was quite the walk but we enjoy walking).

The service was sometimes great (amazing actually, super helpful staff) and other times not so great. Some of the staff is more helpful then others. The wifi was sometimes off so we would have to ask the staff to reset it. But other wise it was fine. We left our stuff here the last day after we checked out and that was fine, we picked it up when we were ready to leave NYC.

Harlem is charming, we adored it! Gentlemen wishing us good morning and holding doors open for us. But if you stray into different parts you may have a less pleasant experience so be aware of where you are going.

It has a hostel feeling when you walk in as there is no living room or homely feeling that you often get with a Bed and Breakfast, but I believe this has more to do with the layout of Harlem Bed Brown Stones. Hostels do not have such nice rooms, private fridges and stoves, pretty decent linens.

We would 100% stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank WuSister
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I've stayed here a few times. I keep coming back for a reason.1- The place is very well priced. 2- The place is super clean. 3- The breakfast (and food throughout the day) is excellent. 4-The pastries are so nice. 5- The owner and staff are extremely helpful. 6- The neighborhood is fantastic. So full of history and on the doorstep of the centre of Manhattan.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Emmet G
Reviewed May 31, 2013

My husband and I stayed here and, thanks to the staff, we had a good stay. The accommodations were OK. The mattress was terribly lumpy -- I'd have a spring pop up and wake me up every soon often -- our room had a tall ceiling and didn't have enough light, the faucet was drippy, and we had no hot water the first morning--fixed thanks to one staff person. Each day, I had to ask to have the Internet rebooted. But the main problem -- we left earlier in the day and with little light, my husband left a pouch. I have been trying since our stay (end of April) for it. Several phone calls have told us that the pouch was found and it's on its way -- to where??

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChrisF311
Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed four nights here recently, and it was, on the whole, a pleasant time. We were sleeping in a room with two double beds and a very loud air conditioner, though one did get used to this. The bathroom was a little bit dirty at one point, but I don't think that was the fault of the establishment. Close to a few great restaurants - Shirley's soul food and the Corner Social both north on Lenox street were awesome. It's easy to get the subway to downtown too, and a close walk to Central Park.

• Stayed: May 2013