“Great hotel for a great price ”
Review of Flatiron Hotel

Flatiron Hotel
Ranked #364 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

Very good hotel. Small rooms that were very comfortable perfect size for a few nights. Staff was extremely helpful. Free internet in NYC?!?! Who would have thought. I will stay there again just for that. My only issue was that I was on the third floor and could hear the band on the lobby bar. Ask for a room on the 4th floor or higher.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

I've been in a lot of small NYC hotel rooms, but this one would compete for the winner. Room was clean. If you want a very, and I mean very loud night club/lounge in the lobby,this is the place for you. Unless you're above the sixth floor, on the lounge side of the building, you'll be enjoying the music in your room along with everyone in the lobby. Front desk agent was literally yelling at me when I checked in and I could barely hear him. I was also charged for a mini-bar item I didn't consume. It was removed when I asked at check out, but it always feels shifty when random little charges appear on your bill. If you're in your 20s and want to rock it and won't spend any time in your room go for it. The location is great.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 21, 2013

We stayed here on a last minute Hotel Tonight booking (no problem using that app here) as a little city getaway, as we do from time to time. Bottom line: this is a beautifully renovated little hotel in a great location with wonderful staff and a loud nighttime lobby.

The building itself is loosely shaped like the nearby Flatiron Building that defines this area. It is right adjacent to Madison Square Park (the first ever Shake Shack is there) and across the street and down a few doors to the popular and delicious Hill Country BBQ, fyi. The all 20-something and 30-something staff are friendly, smart, and service-oriented -- had I had the opportunity I would have loved to sit and chat with the front desk staff as they seemed like such great people. The decor is sort of like what you'd find at Kimpton properties (this is not one) -- a combo of modern with self-conscious ornate touches.

Our room was predictably small but well-appointed and comfortable. For example, our queen bed was a platform bed with storage drawers underneath (note the room safe was housed in one of them). The bathroom was tiled in what looked like alabaster stone (pretty) and the shower had one of those "car wash" type nozzle arrangements that aligned vertically - nice. My only issue with the bathroom was that the mirror above the sink was a bit far away and I kept looking for a magnifying mirror, which wasn't there. There was, however, a TV embedded into the bathroom mirror, complete with a waterproof remote and directions on how to use it. In putting my contacts in in the morning, I'd much rather have had a magnifying mirror!

The one big downside to this place is the nightclub that happens in the lobby, complete with a live band. Coming back from dinner around 11 p.m. we had to wade through a bunch of folks with glasses in hand. It was hard to communicate verbally with the front desk staff even though we were standing right at the front desk because nobody could hear anybody speak. I don't know how the front desk staff stands it. Once we got past the party-goers (and thankful he was there, a security guy) and up to our room, we laughed at how from the third floor it was still pretty loud. My hubby pointed out that you could hear/feel the subway as well. At some point the noise was punctuated with an elevator alarm. With the exception of the subway, this all stopped around 2 a.m. We expected this from reading other Tripadvisor reviews.

So, if you understand what you're getting here, you'll be perfectly satisfied with this hotel. If you are looking for quiet, don't stay here. For us, although we liked so much about this place, we would hesitate to return because we don't really value a party soundtrack to a hotel room.

Room Tip: Our third floor room was quite loud from the lobby.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Sean A, Director of Operations at Flatiron Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2013

The Flatiron Hotel features a live band six days a week in Toshi's Living Rom. We ask guests that are not party goers to let us know upon making reservations so we can place them on a floor away from the music. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed November 20, 2013 via mobile

This is a nice hotel in a fun of town where I had meetings.

Rooms are very small but newly furnished like many of the newer NYC hotels. Front desk area is a bit crowded and staff not so attentive, but the worst problem is the beds are rock-hard. Two of us stayed last night and we both had the same complaint.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

It's unfortunate you did not find the bed to your liking during your stay with us. We have always received great reviews from our guests pertaining to the comfort of our mattress and bedding. I would greatly appreciate if you could reach out to me with the room number you stayed in so I can personally investigate this matter. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

We stayed in a fourth floor corner room overlooking broadway and 26th on a Saturday night. The music in the bar on the first floor was very loud until about 1:30 AM. Otherwise we liked the room, which had many creature features like the mirrored tv built into the bathroom vanity. I also liked the classic architectural design of the room, but the blue lighting in the hallway was garish and tacky. The thing that really disappointed me was that our room keys were deprogrammed at least ten minutes before checkout. We had been out to breakfast and hurried back to our room with ten minutes to spare. Neither key worked. I brought mine downstairs and was told by the receptionist that the locks are programmed to automatically reset a few minutes before checkout. This makes absolutely no sense and I complained to a manager, who was nice enough.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

I am glad you enjoyed your stay at the Flatiron Hotel and enjoyed the many gadgets featured in the room...especially the television in the bathroom mirror. I apologize your key was deactivated before your departure. The keys are automatically programmed to deactivate one hour after your scheduled departure...it is possible your key was demagnetized by an electronic devise you may have had on you.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

I didn't realize I was checking into a place where the ENTIRE lobby was a pitch black nightclub with a screaming band. I wasn't prepared for so much noise. This place can't decide what it wants to be-- hotel or nightclub.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

I stayed there with my family this weekend, and my friend went to pick me up for brunch this morning. I realized that I forgot my wallet in the room, so I asked her to wait for me in the lobby while I went back to the room to grab my wallet. However, the bellman kicked her out of the hotel lobby, even after she stated that she's waiting for me, a paying guest in the hotel. He was being extremely rude to her. I was only gone for less than 5 minutes, and seriously your staffs wouldn't let a well-dressed 20-year-old girl to wait in the lobby for 5 minutes when it was raining and cold outside?
RUDE STAFF (the male doorman who is working around noon this Sunday)! so I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO THE HOTEL.
To the doorman who kicked her out: you ruined the day.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ELIANG2013
Sean A, Director of Operations at Flatiron Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

I apologize if the bellman was perceived rude and abrupt but to ensure the safety of our guests we ask patrons at the very least for the name of the guest they are waiting for. In this particular situation the bellman said the lady waiting could not give your registered name. She waited over a half hour for you and left on her own. Customer satisfaction is very important at the Flatiron Hotel but our guest safety always comes first.