“Eh... at best”

Ranked #334 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Eh... at best”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

I lived in New York and have reasonable expectations of what you get at hotels in the city. I was disappointed by the Flatiron Hotel.

I'll start off by saying that this hotel is in a perfect, convenient location. That is key. It goes downhill from there. I agree with others who say this is not a 4 star hotel. I've stayed at many boutique hotels, frequently with Kimpton--and if you think that's the level of service/ambiance you'll get here, you're wrong. The whole hotel seemed a bit haphazard--from the bizarre lobby with aquarium and a very loud bar/live performance area--to the room which was very gimmicky/electronic/digital, but nothing really worked right. I had to switch rooms because things weren't working properly in my first room. The size is ok--nothing to be excited about--but normal for a NY hotel. I also wasn't impressed with the service. They were willing to help when asked but definitely nothing above and beyond. Also, they make you pay to store your bags... Seriously? At a hotel that's theoretically a 4 star? That's just a service you provide for people who are paying $ already to stay with you.

This hotel is aspiring to be something cool, hip, high end. But on all accounts, it does not succeed.

Finally, I had horrible sleep staying here. I live in a city--on a traffic circle--so I'm not sensitive about sound. I'd read about the bands downstairs so requested a room on a high floor. I got floor 5. I could hear the pounding of the bar downstairs and the live music until past 2 am. This is NOT a comfortable place to stay. Not the worst. But I'd sooner stay at the Chelsea Hampton Inn next time than here!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
Boston
Reviewed December 16, 2012

We had a fabulous stay at the Flatiron Hotel this past weekend. The staff was warm, friendly and very helpful. We have a son who is a year old and therefore have a lot of special needs when we travel (crib, refrigerator, etc.) and the staff was very willing to help us and had a great attitude. Johnny Ortega in particular was excellent and very helpful in putting together the pack 'n play for us and making sure that we had everything we needed. The room was clean, modern and spacious (for NYC). Loved the shower. The bar/lounge downstairs was very cozy and fun - we enjoyed the music and the drinks there. Overall, great experience and would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the lower floors are louder because of live music in the lobby.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC
Reviewed December 9, 2012

This is a fashionable boutique-style hotel right at the corner of 26th St and Broadway, so close to Fifth Avenue shopping and an easy walk to Penn Station and Times Square. My room wasn't large but was well appointed with contemporary furniture, including electric drapes controlled from a bedside switch. The bathroom had the tech gimmick of a TV built into the mirror (which I had no interest in, and which, when switched off, meant there was a dark rectangle in the mirror when I was shaving). The shower was a highlight: a combination of overhead rain showerhead and front-on body sprays: you could select either or both with the rotating knob. The main problem with the accommodation was that no amount of flashy technology could conceal the underlying dated infrastructure. The heating was crude: every few minutes it came on with a huge whirr and blasted the room with hot air until it began to feel oppressive, then it switched off again and the temperature dropped away until the cycle was repeated. During the night I switched it off to avoid the noise and the big temperature swings while I was under the covers. But at least the room had heat: the bathroom, on the other hand, was distinctly chilly. It seemed that there was no heating there at all, except when you opened the door to let a little drift in from the room. Hotel staff were very friendly but another annoyance was the restaurant/ bar on the ground floor, where at check-in a band was playing so loudly that I asked for a high-floor room. The receptionist chuckled, obviously knowing exactly what I was talking about, having had to work with it all evening. In summary, a great location and nice fitments in the rooms, but with issues caused partly by their own making and partly by the fact that this is a conversion of an old building.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
atlanta
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I landed up at this hotel by chance (long story)...what a lovely hotel. Samantha and Jason at the front desk were wonderful and settled my very ruffled feathers. The room was small, but beautifully appointed and, most importantly, quiet, even though the lobby is busy and hopping and loud! The location is great and very safe for a woman on her own. Walked at all times of day and night and never felt unsafe.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed December 7, 2012

The staff is wonderful. I forgot my ipad in my room--only remembered when I was at JFK. I called and they'd found it. I emailed all of my info to them right then and by the next day it was already at UPS being shipped to me. Not only was everyone amazingly honest in this situation, but what wonderful service to package and ship the very next day.

The room was what I expected and the location was perfect for me. Would definitely book again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
New Orleans, Louisiana

I was disappointed.
The furnishings and room are sumptiously decorated, and there is a TV in the mirror of the bathroom - and I can't complain about the sheets or attress. The room was laughably small - but that's true of NYC in general. Only a Queen bed, which is too small for the two of us.

But, the towels were ratty - I've added a photo. The thermostat has a blue screen which is right at the sleeper's eye - a no-no for good sleep. The hotel information notebook had no pages, and when we asked for them, never receved them.

There is a nightclub on the first floor. It certainly looks popular and has live music. BUT, we were in room 301 which is RIGHT above the nightclub. Nightclub = nightmare when you want to sleep.

Room Tip: Make sure you do not get room 301 or near it, unless you want to sleep on top of the ightclub.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 4, 2012

I stayed here because it is right around the corner from our office. The property is nice, the bed was so comfortable I didn't want to get up. My only complaint was the service. My shower was broken and they sent someone to fix it. Well, he needed to replace a part and said he'd be back. But he never returned. So I have a full day of meetings and feel disgusting, but that's cool. When I came back around 6pm and it was still not fixed, I went to the lobby and asked to talk to a manager. Another guest services employee was there and asked me what was wrong. They finally got everything fixed and the manager apologized but I literally had to ask them three times to fix my shower. Once it was fixed though, it was the greatest shower ever.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business