“Comfortable and Cozy”

Ranked #330 of 467 Hotels in New York City
San Francisco, California
“Comfortable and Cozy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2012

My fiancee and I stayed here for a weekend and we loved it. The hotel is very clean, staff is extremely nice, and the furniture in the rooms were up-to-date and very comfortable. Awesome shower with water coming out from every direction! I also loved that the beds were Temperpedic mattresses. It's also in a pretty good location in the in-between Uptown and Downtown (15 min walk from Time Square). I would highly recommend this place!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sijo657

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Manteca, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights and will come back for sure. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Our room was in the 3rd floor with minimal street noise, did not bother us at all. Room was very clean. Location was great. It was a very comfortable stay.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Tess0114
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2012

This was our first stay in NYC as a family (3 kids ages 6 to 12 years) and LOVED this hotel. The room was beautifully appointed with all sorts of electronic gadgets, including automatic curtain closers which the kids loved (along with the TV screen built into the bathroom mirror and the amazing fish tank in the lobby). The staff was extremely friendly and helpful and the room was spotless. However, Room 504 faced the street and was drafty and a bit noisy; the windows are original, single pane windows. Got a great deal thru Hotwire.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side face the street and the windows are single pane glass so they’re drafty and...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Pandora2210
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2012

First of all, i hardly ever write reviews but i had to on this place. Looking online, there had been some mixed reviews about the Flatrion Hotel, but once we arrived, all of our doubts were immediately dismissed.
The front desk staff was really knowledgeable about the area and they mapped out routes for us to do what we had wanted to and recommended some great places to eat.
Housekeeping was perfect, not a spot or thing missed in the room through out our stay, they were all so warm and friendly we really felt like they appreciated us. Wish I could've brought that bed home with us. :))

I will definitely be coming back on my next trip and will be recommending it to friends and family.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2012

I have to say my favorite boutique hotel is The Dream in Midtown. My stay there went ultra smooth, it was a great location and I felt safe.

My stay was from Friday - Sunday. The Flatiron is shiny and new but there are a few improvements needed:

Cons:
1. Sensitive to noise, I specifically requested in my reservation booked weeks ahead, NOT to have a room by the elevator, and they did the complete opposite. My room literally faced the elevator. Takes literally just one leap from the inside of the elevator into my room. I called down to the front immediately realizing this and they said they'll check and call me back if anything. So they called back literally 1 whole minute later and said there wasn't anything available. Seriously, they could have waited 5 minutes to pretend they tried. This showed me they are not accommodating and do not care to show they want to make an effort! I was ready to look for a new hotel at this point.
2. Since there was nothing they can do about my room situation, and i was in a time crunch, I just sucked it up and stayed. I got there on Friday afternoon and I needed to work a bit before the weekend. For a few hours I was working in my room and all of a sudden someone opens the door into my room! The voices of two adult men were behind my door about to walk in! I quickly said "HELLO!" They stopped opening the door halfway and did not see me but heard my voice. I panicked!! I thought I was getting robbed or worst going to be assaulted!!! So I quickly grabbed my laptop ready to whack the people coming in. Then they said "um, are you decent? we're here to check something!" Are you kidding me? I could have been in a very vulnerable situation! Oh, and the room I was in did not have one of those long hook locks that keeps people out even if they have a key. So this is a very unsafe situation for a single female traveling alone. I put down my laptop and walked to the door to see what they wanted. And they said they just wanted to check to see if something in the bathroom was fixed. So one guy peeked into the bathroom and said it was. I was just still in shock and disbelief in what was happening. So the shorter guy saw this and asked "what's wrong." I'm like "um. well, most people knock before they just walk into someone's room" And they explained that they thought no one was checked in yet and the other guy said a matter of factually "you just checked in like 5 mins ago right? so ..." I'm like I've been here, working! Jerk! God the rudeness of this hotel at this point was almost too much to take. If I didn't have to finish a report and meet someone soon I would have packed my stuff and moved to another hotel.
3. The noise level is outrageous! I can sleep through fog horns and earthquakes but this room was beyond those things. I heard the TV of the room next door all night long and loud too, the walls are thin. The trains are also passing by every so often. Because my room was so low in the building, I can hear every honk, siren, and crazies shouting! Oh and people in and out of the elevators didn't help either! Those noises went on all night long.
4. One ice machine for the whole hotel, in Mezzanine level and no vending machines for softdrinks or water. (they are working on setting up minibars in the hotel rooms) They did suggest we go across the street to the liquor store to get water/softdrinks, which we did and it was convenient enough.

Pros:
Everything is new.
The curtains are electronically controlled, you open and close them with a remote!!! Really fun.
The curtains keep the light out very well. So even if it's super bright out, the room can be dark.
The phone in room is cordless.
The TV was crisp (but it is digital so a lot of channels didn't have signal, since I don't watch much tv, I don't consider this too bad an issue)
The desk was good for working (though there were no power outlets where the desk is so my cords were connected to the walls on the other side, not too big a deal for me)
Two new bathrobes.
The shower was awesome, it had a total of 8 spouts and 7 running at a time so you're getting sprayed from head to knees with multiple spouts, LOVE this feature.
There's a TV in the bathroom mirror (which can be a good or bad thing, I didn't like it because it got in my way of seeing myself since I'm short. And it's not facing the toilet, so you can't watch it from there. You can see it from the shower but can't hear it since shower is so loud) I think they tried with this but it ultimately does not make much since.
Lighting in the rooms are well situated and can be adjusted for bright to dim to romantic.
Electronic control for Privacy and Maid Service.
The lobby is very nice, with cool furnishing and a large cylinder aquarium.
The doorman/luggage guys are very nice and quick to come to help me. Girl who checked me in was also nice.
The location, right by beautiful Madison Square Park (depending on the type of person you are, it can be a shady spot at night, but I liked it because it was walking distance from all the places I ate at in LES and East Village. Don't expect upper east side or midtown when staying here. There are characters and you should be alert as you walk through the neighborhood)
Two short blocks from the Subway station.
Very easy to catch a cab.
They have car service if you need it ( i didn't use it but looks convenient)

All in all, my stay (after my first few hours of weirdness) went smooth. I would stay here again, but I would definitely call ahead to make sure they won't put my room in front of the elevators and hopefully by then, they would have installed long hook locks so strangers can't just bust into your room if you're in the shower or doing something more private!

Room Tip: Even if you put in a request they do not care to accommodate you so I would say, book a back up hote...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank papillonheart
Ben K, Manager at Flatiron Hotel, responded to this review, January 19, 2012
Dear papillonheart,

Thank you for taking your time and write us such a detailed review, as we improve our new hotel guest feedback is very important to us.

I am really sorry to hear that your special request could not have been accommodated and therefor resulted in poor sleep. You have requested a room away from our elevators when you reserved your room on an online channel, after reviewing your reservation I have found that unfortunately your request was not delivered to us with your reservation and therefor you were assigned to the standard room you booked which are all located in the same spot in the hallway.
We would gladly upgrade your room type to accommodate, but we were unable to do so since we were sold out on the weekend.
You should not experience someone walking in on you while you are checked in to your room, without knocking. On behalf of the staff i apologize for this incident. I will address this with the whole staff to assure that does not happen to you or any future guests.
Regarding the door latch you mentioned missing, each door has a manual lock which can only be locked/unlocked from inside your room. We also have convenient electronic door bells where you can display your room status so your request for privacy is respected by the staff.
We just did the Private in room bars setup last week, they will be in use this week.

I was glad to read that although your check-in experience was not conventional, you still were able to recognize and enjoy on all our hi-tech cool in-room features and the rest of your stay, as well as the great location of our hotel.

We would be very happy to accommodate you again on your next trip to NYC, please make sure to call us directly so we can assure a room to your convenience.

I would be very happy to discuss your stay further in details with you, please feel free to contact me at 212-839-8000 x3720.

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2012

This boutique hotel may not be as iconic as its namesake landmark building, but it's comfortable and classy with a hip, post-rococo atmosphere. (Love the multi-story fish tank in the lobby and the Venetian-style glass sconces throughout the building.) Our room on the eighth floor, though small, was quiet and spotlessly clean, with a well appointed bathroom including large plush towels, a multi-headed shower stall and—a first for me—a TV embedded in the mirror (yes, you can actually do your morning shave with Matt Lauer). The room also had a high-tech lighting system and mechanized drapes (no need to get out of bed to see that morning sun); and bathrobes and free Wi-fi were a plus. A few "soft opening" caveats: the bed that had been advertised as queen-size was definitely just a full (though made up with good quality linens and lots of pillows), with zero room on one side; the desk chair was way too big to maneuver around; and a minibar fridge was empty and locked. Get these kinks out, and I might just elevate my rating to "excellent."

Room Tip: Hotel has ten floors; upper floor rooms are probably quieter.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Ben K, Manager at Flatiron Hotel, responded to this review, January 17, 2012
Dear ahtsguy

I'd like to thank you for taking the time to write us a nice review and share your feedback.

It is great to read that you found your room quiet and clean, and got to experience your first in mirror TV.

There seems to be a missed communication on your bed type, because the rooms we sell as queen rooms actually have queen sized beds. We also have rooms with full size beds, i'd be more than glad to clear this up with you.

As you noticed we just installed our new private in rooms bars, this one kink will be worked out rather soon.

I hope next time you visit NYC and stay with us again we will score an excellent.

San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2012

I just finished a 5 night stay at the Flatiron Hotel while visiting NYC on business. I could not have asked for a more comfortable, enjoyable stay! The staff was extremely friendly and helpful and the room was great. The room I stayed in was very quiet, with minimal street noise, and I was on the 7th floor. It also had an amazing shower with all the necessities and the bed was always fresh and comfortable. The location was close to shops, restaurants, the drug store, and the subway. Very convenient and enjoyable! I look forward to staying at the Flatiron Hotel again soon.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Ben K, Manager at Flatiron Hotel, responded to this review, January 17, 2012
Hillary P I thank you so much for writing us such a great review.

I am very glad to read that you found your room quiet, and had a great experience with our extremely friendly staff.

We look forward seeing you again at our hotel.