All reviews bathroom mirror front desk madison square park new york shake shack boutique hotel higher floor lobby bar location is great greenwich village yogurt the empire state building rooms are small tv jets eataly subway
Reviewed January 16, 2012

This boutique hotel may not be as iconic as its namesake landmark building, but it's comfortable and classy with a hip, post-rococo atmosphere. (Love the multi-story fish tank in the lobby and the Venetian-style glass sconces throughout the building.) Our room on the eighth floor, though small, was quiet and spotlessly clean, with a well appointed bathroom including large plush towels, a multi-headed shower stall and—a first for me—a TV embedded in the mirror (yes, you can actually do your morning shave with Matt Lauer). The room also had a high-tech lighting system and mechanized drapes (no need to get out of bed to see that morning sun); and bathrobes and free Wi-fi were a plus. A few "soft opening" caveats: the bed that had been advertised as queen-size was definitely just a full (though made up with good quality linens and lots of pillows), with zero room on one side; the desk chair was way too big to maneuver around; and a minibar fridge was empty and locked. Get these kinks out, and I might just elevate my rating to "excellent."

Room Tip: Hotel has ten floors; upper floor rooms are probably quieter.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Ben K, Manager at Flatiron Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2012

Dear ahtsguy

I'd like to thank you for taking the time to write us a nice review and share your feedback.

It is great to read that you found your room quiet and clean, and got to experience your first in mirror TV.

There seems to be a missed communication on your bed type, because the rooms we sell as queen rooms actually have queen sized beds. We also have rooms with full size beds, i'd be more than glad to clear this up with you.

As you noticed we just installed our new private in rooms bars, this one kink will be worked out rather soon.

I hope next time you visit NYC and stay with us again we will score an excellent.

Reviewed January 13, 2012

I just finished a 5 night stay at the Flatiron Hotel while visiting NYC on business. I could not have asked for a more comfortable, enjoyable stay! The staff was extremely friendly and helpful and the room was great. The room I stayed in was very quiet, with minimal street noise, and I was on the 7th floor. It also had an amazing shower with all the necessities and the bed was always fresh and comfortable. The location was close to shops, restaurants, the drug store, and the subway. Very convenient and enjoyable! I look forward to staying at the Flatiron Hotel again soon.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business

Hillary P I thank you so much for writing us such a great review.

I am very glad to read that you found your room quiet, and had a great experience with our extremely friendly staff.

We look forward seeing you again at our hotel.

Reviewed January 5, 2012

Stayed here for the weekend of 12/17/2011. Booked 2 full size rooms with two beds and requested high floors due to some earlier reviews on this site which mentioned subway noise. Upon arrival, they said they only had side by side rooms on the lower floors. When I pointed out that I had requested rooms on the higher floors, they gave us rooms on floor 9 and 10. The 10th floor appears to be the highest. They then upgraded us to corner rooms - very nice.

The rooms were very nice, spacious, and had lots of bells and whistles. The jacuzzi tub was wonderful to use. The electronic operated curtains were also a nice touch. Check in was effortless and they were very accommodating when we asked to store our luggage for the afternoon after we checked out.

I wouldn't worry about the subway noise. The subway does run underneath the hotel and you can hear it. However, you can drown out the intermittent subway noise with white noise generated by the heating/ac unit. Set the fan for continuous operation. It is fairly loud and it effectively drowns out the subway noise. Works like a charm.

This is a small boutique hotel and I think it has a great location and a great pricing. The pricing was attractive because of the soft opening of the hotel. I would definitely stay there again if I can obtain a similar rate.

Room Tip: Higher rooms will have less subway noise, but the heating/ac fan is loud enough to drown out the noise even on the lower floors.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Buzz355
Reviewed January 5, 2012

I stay here regularly...what a great new addition to the Flatiron neighborhood! The rooms aren't huge, but they are certainly ample enough (especially for New York). The beds are very comfortable, the bathrooms are new and very fresh, and the staff is very helpful (especially Terrance, who works in the evenings). Plus, there's that truly awesome, two-story fish tank in the lobby!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Chicago_Traveler_2
Reviewed December 31, 2011

Pros - price was right for a family of four making a last minute trip to NYC. $269 for 2 double beds. Location was great, room was outstanding (newly renovated) Staff was very helpful and friendly.
Cons - street noise. May have been the corner room and the wall of windows (which was a good thing for the view). If you are a light sleeper may want to request a room away from street.
Bottom line - We will stay there again

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Amhtruitt
Ben K, Manager at Flatiron Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2012

Dear Amhtruitt,

Thank you so much for taking your time and give us your feedback.

I am so glad you found our brand new hotel affordable yet outstanding, as well as experiencing our friendly staff.

We do have a noise issue on some of the corner rooms which wouldn't be ideal for a light sleeper, but when you visit again we would be glad to assign a room away from the street noise for you.

In addition we are currently looking into some options on how to reduce the street noise from these rooms.

Thanks again and I look forward seeing you again.