Open today: 8:00 AM - 11:59 PM

Em_j87
Selby, United Kingdom
via mobile
Harlem Jazz tour

We went with Amanda in a small group of six. It was one of the best experiences I had. I never had... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Gijsbert O

All reviews harlem juke joint tour paris blues soul food greenwich village small group new york billie holiday great tour knowledgeable guide highly recommend this tour private tour shrine organ speakeasy legend session enthusiasts
Reviewed 3 days ago via mobile

We did the Harlem Juke joint tour with Amanda. It was one of our highlights of our trip to NYC! She was so much fun from start to finish and we thoroughly enjoyed our time with her. The local knowledge she provided was such a great introduction to Harlem and the music in Gin fizz was fantastic, the food too! Highly recommend this tour to anyone, even if you’re jazz novices like us, there’s nothing to not like!

Reviewed 1 week ago

We went with Amanda in a small group of six.
It was one of the best experiences I had. I never had visited Harlem before. Amanda seemed to know many persons. She is obviously engaged in showing some of the history and the current state of the area. We loved two out of three jazz joints, great food and drinks. The last one was rather expensive and charged a minimum of two drinks. I would have preferred to tip the musicians instead.
Nevertheless a five star experience with great music!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Amanda was really lovely and charming. There was just my housband and me on the tour but she made it incredible. She gave us a goft because it was our honeymoon. We went to three diferent places and she was carrying some funny gadgets to take us pictures. She also knew a lot about jazz. She was so nice and warm, we had so many laughs with her. When we come back, we want to take the Harlem tour with her.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Our Harlem jazz tour was the highlight of our visit to NYC. Our guide took us around to experience great local jazz at three locations while also touring us through historic locations in the city. She made it so much fun. It was definitely an evening we will long remember.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Fantastic tour of historic sites and perfect blend of jazz music and great musicians. Our tour guide, Amanda was enthusiastic, fun and an amazing singer!!! Loved the tour and the evening was the highlight of my NYC visit!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Although Gordon was nice and friendly, the tour itself did not clicked and was totally worthy of money we paid. We expected a lot more for $400 private tour, but tour only included entrance to three clubs with no coverage and very easy entrance anyways etc. We also needed to pay two uber rides that have been requested from us, tips, appetizers and drinks on the top of $400. Two clubs were really good, but one club was a small, almost empty bar with some average non- jazz music, but we were asked to drink and eat there. Although we love two places, we have excepted a lot more effort and a value form the guide and for such a high price. We felt like "stupid tourist sheep at the end". We are glad we came because we learned something about Harlem etc. but definitely was not what we expected.

Gordon P, Owner at Big Apple Jazz Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thank you for your thorough review of our night together. I'm thrilled that you are glad that you came and really enjoyed two of the three clubs we visited together and learned something about Harlem. I'm thinking that the harshness of your review is more due to my not being able to clearly explain that a Private Tour carries the responsibility of paying for the night's expenses including transportation, musician gratuities, cover charges and refreshments. The tour description on our website does state this, but neglectfully I did not reinforce that point to all the members of the party, just to the person who booked it. My goal has always been the exact opposite of your experience of feeling like a tourist - I started this company to make guests feel like insiders blending in and being part of the local scene. The tour clearly failed to meet your expectations and I will learn from your comments and our experience together to better prepare future guests for what is entailed on a Private Tour. Thank you again for sharing your honest assessment.

Peace,

Gordon

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Started in rain then went to 3 venues with the delightful , irrepressible A !!The only group enjoyed was Phil Young and his guys , great ( food , extra charge , good ) music SO good . Others only passable. Return trip unplanned so we had a hassle for a cab but Amanda great throughout E . Randall Melbourne Australia

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

First of all, this is the second time I have taken a tour with this guys. It is amazing , Tony the tour guy is brilliant , passionate and an amazing guy. We went to two jazz clubs , Gin Fizz and then to Paris Blues, two clubs I would have never find on my own.

My wife was with me the second time I took the tour ( she likes Jazz but she is not passionate about it) but she enjoyed the night as well!

If you like jazz and you are in Manhattan , this is a must!

Reviewed October 8, 2018

Amanda, our guide was wonderful. We had a lot of fun with her. She also has an encyclopedic knowledge of jazz, blues, and Harlem. I highly recommend this tour.

Reviewed October 7, 2018

I have been on several Harlem tours with Amanda and each is a new, festive, unique experience based on what she has sussed out is going on in Harlem that night. Tonight was a Billie Holiday Tribute treat, introducing us to some fabulous musicians I will seek out again! Amanda's lively vibe is a well loved presence in the Harlem jazz scene and, when with her, I feel like I'm being welcomed as a family guest.