“A fun night out”

Big Apple Jazz Tour
Ranked #2 of 870 Nightlife in New York City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Authentic Experiences to the heart of New York City! Since 1997 we have been on the front lines of the underground New York City jazz scene - taking small groups down into the basements and alleyways where live jazz still thrives in neighborhood nightclubs from Harlem to Greenwich Village. Legendary players and clubs as well. All live music and transportation costs are included in the tour price. Our jazz tours take place in Manhattan for the most part, but private tours to Brooklyn, Queens or the Bronx can be arranged. Our goal is to offer the most intimate, small group tours available to Harlem and Greenwich Village neighborhood nightclubs and juke joints. We also provide insight into the Big Apple jazz scene as it has evolved over the past hundred years. Consider hiring Gordon Polatnick to take you on a private tour throughout the city during the day or night to experience the city's many intriguing neighborhoods at your pace and focusing on your interests.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We really enjoyed our tour. The guide (Gordon) was extremely knowledgeable, approachable, and friendly. We ended up with a great overview of Harlem and music's role there. Had the tour ended after the first club, I would have given it five stars. Unfortunately, the second club (with Saxy and his crew) was a bit of a letdown. The vibe and music just wasn't that great and the drink prices were midtown level prices. Perhaps this included a cover charge, but all covers should have been taken care of in the price of the tickets.

I would probably take the tour again and I would definitely go back to the first club again. It's clear that the guide has a passion for jazz and he is eager to share that love, but perhaps he could rethink the second location used on our night.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Even though I was staying in Harlem I probably never would have come across the clubs Gordon introduced our group to. The musicianship at each of the three "juke joints" on the tour that night was outstanding, while the ambiance and the welcome from musicians and servers alike was as warm as you could possibly imagine. The fact that we seemed to be on the same route as musicians moving from place to place to jam is undoubtedly due to Gordon's thorough knowledge of the city's jazz scene. On our walks from club to club we learned things about the neighborhood's jazz history that aren't written down anywhere. It was the best night of my month-long stay in NY. I'm just glad I don't live next door to any of these places because I'd be there every night.

BigAppleGordon, Owner at Big Apple Jazz Tour, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

That is really nice to read, Wayne. Especially coming from someone who knows a lot about the NY scene and is such an adventurous traveler. I hope to see you again for another round. I'll show you the clubs we missed - there are still lots of surprises. Peace, Gordon

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Been to several jazzclubs before, but never to small Harlem Jukejoints. Absolutely amazing. Gordon is THE guide, and this is "Something Else".

1  Thank Atle H
Reviewed September 30, 2012

The Sunday afternoon jazz tour with Gordon was a fantastic start of our NY visit. We got to see a good mix of historical places and jazz. Invited to Marjorie Eliot's appt for the first session was the best. So different, private and historically interesting. The Shrine, the Vet club, then later, Paris Blues, all in the same day. Tank you Gordon. You made our day...and week. We highly recommend anyone, jazz lover or not, to see Harlem with Gordon. A buss tour up to Sugar Hill, some jazz clubs, the streets, the buildings, the people.....quite different from down south on Manhattan. Do it!

1  Thank Pelle H
Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

What to say about this tour?! I visited bars and jazz clubs that I never would have on my own. Harlem is actually a gem of a place.

Great mixture of jazz venues - the musicians were phenomenal! Met a great bunch of people and our host Mr Gordon was just lovely, knowledgeable and organised.

Do not miss this tour!