“Awesome Learning Experience”

Small Group Walking Tour of New York City Architecture
Ranked #195 of 610 Tours in New York City
Type: City Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Context organizes scholar-led walking tours of New York City focused on the history, architecture, cuisine, culture, and art of the city. Groups are limited to six people in order to create a dynamic learning environment. With a network of historians, archaeologists, architects, and art historians, Context focuses on thematic walks that uncover New York City for the curious traveler.
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Awesome Learning Experience”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

My wife and I took a tour of the Meatpacking District and the High Line Park on Labor Day 2013. Our docent, Matico Josephson, greeted us outside the Chelsea Apple Store and the next 5 hours could not have been more enjoyable. Matico was informed and engaging! He explained that Context provides personalized tours and information that are tailored to the personality and interests of the participants. Unlike the usual lecture-style, one-size-fits-all, tours given by Greyline or other similar city tour companies, Context tours are a dialogue between the expert guide and the group. In all, the experience was much more interesting, specific, dynamic, and FUN than any tour I can remember taking.

My wife and I appreciated the specificity of the tour and the unique niche on which the tour focused. Context offers a deeper learning experience by narrowing the scope of the walking tour to cover one or two points of interest (Chelsea and the High Line) , and then exploring the historical and sociological evolution of those areas. As the name of the company suggests, Matico put the Meatpacking District in CONTEXT. He explained the early colonization of Manhattan Island and how exponential population growth influenced the design of the city and its place in the American industrial revolution. Matico consistently added texture to the area's chronology through architectural, socioeconomic, and demographic commentary.

Visited September 2013

Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Best moma tour ever!”
Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

We booked a private family tour of moma which lasted for three hours. Our guide, Monica, was fantastic. We are a family of five with children aged 15, 13 and 8. We saw some moma highlights but in a way that told the story of modern art. If we had toured by ourselves we would have got 5% of the tour and we know some things about art. Monica was great with the kids. Not patronising and genuinely interested. It was not cheap but it was worth every penny and more. A children liked thus more than the helicopter tour and the learning will last a lifetime. Excellent

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Partner792
Vancouver
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“We took the Brooklyn tour and the Jackson Heights tour by Context and loved them both.”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Our guide Matico was absolutely the best. Knowledgeable, easy to talk to, passionate, interesting and able to incorporate our interests into the tours.
Our Context tours were the most expensive activities we participated in on our trip but may have been the best value, which is amazing.
The perspective that our first tour (which was on day two of our trip) gave us for the rest of our stay in NYC was invaluable.
My wife and I can't recommend Context tours enough and will certainly be taking them again in the future.

Visited September 2013
Hanoi, Vietnam
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Architecture walk best tour I have ever had!”
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Brilliant walking tour of NY.

Excellent variety of the big famous buildings and lesser known but no less interesting places. Guide was superb - encyclopaedic knowledge of NY sky line, she work on the preservation committee so had a well thought out point of view on literally everything. Loved it so much I'm going to do their tour of London my own home town next.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Jonesy_Gem
Atlanta, GA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Context - The Birth of the Cocktail...excellent tour!”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

My brother and I took the Birth of the Cocktail tour in NY in May. I did not know exactly what to expect so for us out-of-towners it was a great walking tour of historic speakeasies and other notable locations in cocktail history and just a good walking around tour of the city itself. Our guide was great - friendly, knowledgeable and gave us a great restaurant recommendation for dinner! We didn't feel like tourists on a tour - just a couple people out walking and talking. This was my second experience with Context - my first being Context Paris - and I would use them in any city they offer tours. Thanks!

Visited May 2013