“Just what we needed at a very resonable price”
Review of Hotel 99

Hotel 99
Reviewed April 29, 2011

With the weak pound, accomidation in the states has become horribly expensive. In my experience, the standards in 'economy' accomidation in the US can be pretty horrible. You have to pretty careful about choosing the cheap options

This place was pleasant surprise. Just what we needed at a very resonable price.

Location is perfect for visiting Manhattan - in a pleasant and safe neighbourhood - a few blocks from the subway.
The room was small, but it was clean, freshly decorated and had a nice modern feel to it.

The staff were friendly and helpful.

The big downside was that we had to share a bathroom. However, it didn't really present us with any problems. The bathroom was clean and there was never any issues with queues.

There were several trendy 'organic' cafe/grocery stores just around the corner from the hotel. They were perfect for picking up a good breakfast.

We were looking for something clean, comfortable and convenient without paying a fortune - this place ticked every box

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dermot59

Reviewed April 22, 2011

Great little hotel. Everything is clean and neat, the rooms are huge, even the shared bath was fine. Yes, you can hear some street noise through the windows, but this is NYC and there are always cars and such on the roads. The only problem we had was bad directions from the hotel staff. Most likely they've never ridden the subway or bus here, so get the map from them, then call the mta yourself for help if needed. Otherwise, it is a great place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 4, 2011

Internet didn't work, draft through the window, heating barely worked and when it's -1 in New York and there's no double glazing, I'm telling you, you will want a warm room!!

They are charging way too much for these rooms which contain the bare minimum.

The location is ok, but you can do much better elsewhere. Infact you're probably better off in a hostel.

Don't bother staying here, don't waste your money.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank mahler7
Reviewed March 30, 2011

I booked the room with a private bathroom through Booking.com.
After checking in, I went to the room and found no bathroom there.
I talked to the front desk, and the man says I didn't book the room with a bathroom.
Looking at the computer, he says he doesn't find that info despite the fact I paid a little extra to book the room with a private bath. He still insisted, but after a few minutes, he unwillingly gave me the room with no sincerity whatsoever.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank takadina
Reviewed March 20, 2011

I brought a group of high school girls here for indoor track nationals and we all loved the hotel. The rooms were very clean. Our rooms were cleanec everyday and anytime we needed something it was quickly brought to us. The neighborhood around the hotel was awesome and offered alot of markets and shops to grab something to eat at. Subway station is about a 5 minute walk and very easy to get to. The hotel staff was friendly and accomadating. I would reccomend this place to anyone. We stayed in rooms with private baths but the shared baths were very nice and seemed to be clean all the time. We jogged over to Central Park and ran every morning. It took less than 5 minutes to jog over there. There was also a really cool street market on 97th(i think it was 97th) on Friday morning. For the price and the location it was unbeatable.

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed March 17, 2011

I stayed in January and everything was lovely except for a few things. The electronic keys didn't work, so I have to get someone to let me in my room every time. Luckily I had a bathroom in the room, so it wasn't a huge deal. And I never waited for someone to open the door.

Some improvements would be coat hooks in the room. There wasn't a closet, so everything had to go on the chair or the bed. Another thing they need are rugs in the room. I was visiting when it was snowy, and the laminate in my room became very slippery when wet. I had to lay down some bath towels to keep from sliding around.

I would recommend this hotel on the friendliness of the staff alone. They did work hard to make it a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 2, 2011

While this hotel is in a great neighborhood and the staff is friendly. It is very noisy both from outside noise and adjoining rooms and hallway. It would also be nice to have some hot water.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank monroe2011
Saleshotel99, Manager at Hotel 99, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2011

We're sorry your stay at Hotel 99 was unsatisfactory.
We did have a problem with the boiler but we were able to fix it in a timely manner.
We hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again and provide you with a more pleasant experience at Hotel 99.