“A must for any foodie!”

Famous Fat Dave's Food Tours
Ranked #16 of 102 Food & Drink in New York City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Eating tours by classic Checker cab, minivan, or on foot with Famous Fat Dave himself!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Ottawa
“A must for any foodie!”
Reviewed December 21, 2009

One of the things Famous Fat Dave will tell you is that he appreciates people to call him “Famous Fat Dave”, as opposed to “Famous Dave” or “Fat Dave”, apparently those titles belong to other individuals.

The Famous Fat Dave food tour is a MUST for anyone that has a remote interest in sampling NYC’s culinary offerings.

Dave, as I’ll call him here, took us around for four hours, touring the various boroughs. If my memory, level of attention, or knowledge of geography were better, I’d name what boroughs we toured – it may have been all five but I can’t say for sure. We sampled seven different offerings from jerk shrimp to back bacon, to lobster maki.

The experience is one-of-a-kind: a tour of NYC in a vintage white Checkers cab (you can expect to get a lot of stares) eating up food gems from here and there (remember to pace yourself, Dave offers 2nds and 3rds but the strategy is to hold out for the next offering).

Dave is very knowledgeable about just about everything. Hanging out with him is a very relaxing experience. The hours will fly by and you, including your belly, will be very content at the end of the tour.

The next time I am in NYC, I will definitely be calling Dave up for Round II.

california
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“ABSOLUTELY THE BEST!”
Reviewed December 12, 2009

Wow! We took an Italian themed tour of Manhattan, Brooklyn and the Bronx. Everything was fantastic! One of my cousins liked the pizza best, the other liked the oysters on the street in front of the fish store most. I can't even begin to come up with a favorite.
Dave is a great guide. We went places, saw things and had experiences that we never would have had on our own or with another tour. He customized our tour, answered my questions and e-mails quickly, arrived on time and drove us thru the crazy traffic with great skill. This was the highlight of a week long trip. I can hardly wait to go back and visit other places. Really, it was great!!!

Atlanta
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A fun and tasty time with an entertaining guide.”
Reviewed December 9, 2009

After seeing Famous Fat Dave on a couple of episodes of Anthony Bourdain's show, No Reservations, my wife found Famous Dave's web site while researching attractions for an upcoming New York visit. The fact that she collects everything to do with taxis was an added bonus to being a true foodie. We immediately booked a tour and we were not disappointed. Dave will personally design a tour based on your likes and desires. Try something you really like, get more, it's OK. Like something not so much, you're whisked away to try something different. Dave arrived at our hotel on 6th Avenue and we headed downtown to Chinatown for genuine Chinese breakfast food. Then to the Lower East Side for Jewish appetizers and a variety of pickles straight from the brining barrels. Next, we were in East Harlem for pizza baked in one of the last remaining coal fired ovens in New York. As if by magic, we are now in Brooklyn for the best roast beef sandwich I have ever eaten. What, we're in the Bronx now? Clams by the shore, you bet! You are beginning to get the idea. It goes on and on but you never feel overwhelmed. Dave know just how much to offer and just how much you can handle. Superb food from everywhere in New York, introduced to you by a knowledgeable guide who is equally skilled in tasty food, New York neighborhood history and getting from here to there quickly and safely. And, riding around in the last Checker Marathon on the streets of New York is damn cool too. Famous Fat Dave is a tour not to be missed.

mrsstujo
“The 8 year old ate octopus ...”
Reviewed December 9, 2009

paired with a cannoli. What a blast! We took our 3 kids on this amazing food tour. They tried everything. Not only was it a fun way to try new food, but a great way to tour the city. We drove through areas you would never see as a tourist. Just regular neighborhoods where people live and work and make amazing food. If Dave were not your guide, you wouldn't think to walk into a Dominican diner to order the best breakfast drink of your life. And you wouldn't dare to enter one of the world's most famous steakhouses to order their bacon -- takeout!

Dave was not only passionate about the food, he was very knowledgeable about the history and immigrants that passed through each neighborhood. If you have the time (about 4 hours) and the money, this is a must do tour of NY!

Melbourne
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A New York City "Must Do"”
Reviewed November 29, 2009

I found Famous Fat Dave's website whilst surfing the net and thought i would give it a try. Well i'm glad i did as my wife and i rated it as one of the best things we did in NYC. I visit New York every couple of years (am from Australia) and i can't believe i hadn't discovered him earlier. The places Dave takes you are not just "the famous" ones, but really unique and interesting destinations that i would have NEVER found by myself. The real value of this tour (apart from the insane amount of mouth watering food) is the care and history that Dave delivers from his historic Checker Cab. Seriously, this is the BEST way to see the city. My wife and I were able to see some of the other neighbourhoods (outside of Manhattan) from the comfort of Dave's cab, and for people who were initially nervous about leaving Manhattan, this was fantastic. Because of all the places we went to, we were able to revisit some of our favourites during our stay, and this really added to the overall trip experience. I can not reccommend Dave's tours more highly and i would go as far as saying that this tour was the best i have experienced in the world. It is worth noting that Dave is happy to take your calls after the tour and suggest places to eat - all part of the service (the tour that keeps on giving). No kidding....get on his site and book now.

1 Thank Poggo