“Find a way to take this tour!”

Famous Fat Dave's Food Tours
Ranked #16 of 104 Food & Drink in New York City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Eating tours by classic Checker cab, minivan, or on foot with Famous Fat Dave himself!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Sarasota, Florida
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Find a way to take this tour!”
Reviewed November 6, 2009

I have been traveling to New York for 40 years, and this was one of the most enjoyable 4 hours I have ever spent in the Big Apple. You not only will eat more food than you think is possible, you will get a look at back streets and unusual neighborhoods no other tour visits. And, you get to know Dave, a delightful character. There are two New York City tours that should not be missed -- the Circle Line boat tour and Famous Fat Dave's eating extravaganza.

Menlo Park, CA
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“The Best”
Reviewed November 5, 2009

My wife and I went with our two kids. And then when we took them back to New York several years later and told them we were going to do it again, they talked of nothing else. Dave is great, it's a wonderful fun food tour to places you'd NEVER think of going. Everyone we've recommended this to has had a gas. Just do it!

Chicago
“Fabulous way to experience the real New York”
Reviewed November 4, 2009

Dave picked us up in his wonderful vintage checker cab. We were to treated to an early morning snack of "fresh" mozzarella cheese. Wow! What a way to start. We sampled various treats at locations we would never have found or ventured into with out Dave as our guide. The most incredible donuts, key lime pie, Italian delicacies, and an orange drink you would have to taste to appreciate.
Dave is also a great guide and will show you views of NYC you probably would not find on your own. Just tell him what you want to eat and what you want to see and you will have one fabulous day.

New York
“holy salami!”
Reviewed November 4, 2009

i've taken the Famous Fat Dave's Five Borough Eating Tour on The Wheels of Steel 3 times. Each time was unique and equally phenomenal. I really can't say enough about what an awesome experience this is. i live in new york and pride myself on trying all the delicious flavors this city has to offer, and still, Famous took me to places i never dreamed of. and the old school checker cab just puts it all over the top. Pickles, pastrami, dumplings, salami - you name it! i even had an avocado milk shake! Sounds gross? actually, it was delicious!

i highly recommend this tour to all my friends and relatives. i've probably referred 5 different people to dave's tour and everyone comes back with rave reviews. perfect for adventurous new yorkers and hungry tourists who want a taste of real new york you can't find on 42nd street.

Ottawa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A gastronomic break from Manhattan”
Reviewed October 21, 2009

We booked a tour with Dave for 3 hours, hit a TON of spots... we contacted him in advance to let him know that we were fans of the cannoli and wanted to hit up some Mexican spots in Brooklyn. He did not disappoint. He picked us up at our hotel in Manhattan and had a little in-car appetizer waiting for us - cannolis from Rocco's! My girlfriend was a huge fan, it was a great way to start off the tour. From there we got to experience some Cajun fried pickles, spumoni, thick slices of pizza, roast beef, fried cauliflower sandwich, hot dogs from Nathan's, Russian deli meats & pickles (the pickled apple was strangely delightful), and of course - a Mexican torta with slow roasted pork leg (which was mindblowing). What I didn't expect was the amount of knowledge he had of the areas we visited and of the history of the city. He imparted lots of local knowledge and was just a cool, easy going guy. He was also thoughtful enough to find a scenic spot for my girlfriend and I to look at the city skyline at night as we munched away on a fried cauliflower sandwich. Overall, highly recommended if you want to get away from Manhattan and taste something different.