“Phenomenal”

Famous Fat Dave's Food Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Eating tours by classic Checker cab, minivan, or on foot with Famous Fat Dave himself!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Dave is so interesting, personable, and knowledgeable! This was an experience I will never forget. It wasn't at all like your typical tourist trap. If you want to eat where the locals eat, take this tour.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

I cannot begin to say enough wonderful things - Dave is a treat in himself! Not only is he extremely knowledgeable about NYC history, the neighborhoods, food and culture - he is so enjoyable to spend time with! He's bright, he's happy - we had a ball. Every stop was a new experience - the afternoon is a memory the 5 of us will never forget. And then there's the food - the choices he made for us were perfect, we loved every morsel - every taste all over Brooklyn. We look forward to another tour with FFD!!

Reviewed October 3, 2013

There are three key elements to a Famous Fat Dave food tour. First, there is the cab. It's a piece of art. Coming from the UK and having only see a cab like that on the telly, it was a real treat to be driven around in it. It was like being driven around in a limo it had so much space.

Second, there is Dave. The man is a walking is a legend. From the moment we set foot in his cab his commentary and banter was brilliant. You could talk to him for hours - which is just as well as we were on a 4 hour tour. You might think 4 hours is a long time, but you have such a great time it just zooms by.

And finally the food. Wow. We went to the types of place that probably no tourist would ever go. However they were probably some of the best places I've ever eaten at. Not only was the food amazing but we met some of the funniest and genuine New Yorkers we could have hoped to meet. (Go to Jay And Lloyd’s for hot pastrami - those guys are hilarious and the pastrami melts in the mouth).

I simply can't recommend a Famous Fat Dave food tour enough. If I ever go back to NYC, I will be allocating an entire day for my next tour!

3  Thank ThisIsJules75
Reviewed October 1, 2013

As a former chef, I can be very picky about food and food knowledge, so let me explain how Dave went above and beyond my expectations:

First and foremost, Dave is an awesome dude

Second, I've lived in the NY/NJ area for my whole life, and Dave knows more about the history, culture, and evolution of food in NY than anyone I've known or heard of.

Third, Dave is an expert - he is very much aware of how to pace the tour, and what bites to eat at what times, so that you are always comfortably full (but full for sure)

Fourth - even if you live in NYC, I'd be willing to bet Dave can introduce you to at least 5 NYC eats that you never knew existed (or thought existed, for that matter)

Do yourself a favor and take a tour with him

1  Thank Justin C
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Well weren't we the greedy ones!?!

Five hours flew by, we were apparently training our stomachs to expect food every 20mins.. Don't worry this is not an all you can eat extravaganza. There are plenty places you can bust a gut in NYC but this is tour is carefully crafted to let you see places you would never even get to and taste foods you might have heard of but have never tried.

Sweetness is the pet name of Dave's cherished "Checker Marathon".. Constantly throughout the afternoon locals yell across the street to him "Is it a 57?" More fool them! It's obviously an '82 Checker, it looks like a '61 cos they started making them back then, but Sweetness was the last off the production line.. Dave put them straight with great pleasure and a wave, as we took off to our next port of call..

We had loosely covered midtown and lower manhattan and visited Williamsburg and Brooklyn before we hooked up with Dave, so we were keen to head North and see a bit of Harlem and "Da Bronx".. "City Island" was a real unexpected bonus , especially after 5 days in the City itself! ;)

We ate Pan Fried Chicken, Jerk Shrimp, Garlic Knot's, Broccoli Rabe , a "Christina", Fried Shrimp, Deep Fried Calzone, Sausage Slice, Italian Ice, Cannoli's, Fresh Salted Mozzarella. The food was great, but it was about much more than that!

Thanks Dave