“Sweetness & Savouries”

Famous Fat Dave's Food Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Eating tours by classic Checker cab, minivan, or on foot with Famous Fat Dave himself!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Well weren't we the greedy ones!?!

Five hours flew by, we were apparently training our stomachs to expect food every 20mins.. Don't worry this is not an all you can eat extravaganza. There are plenty places you can bust a gut in NYC but this is tour is carefully crafted to let you see places you would never even get to and taste foods you might have heard of but have never tried.

Sweetness is the pet name of Dave's cherished "Checker Marathon".. Constantly throughout the afternoon locals yell across the street to him "Is it a 57?" More fool them! It's obviously an '82 Checker, it looks like a '61 cos they started making them back then, but Sweetness was the last off the production line.. Dave put them straight with great pleasure and a wave, as we took off to our next port of call..

We had loosely covered midtown and lower manhattan and visited Williamsburg and Brooklyn before we hooked up with Dave, so we were keen to head North and see a bit of Harlem and "Da Bronx".. "City Island" was a real unexpected bonus , especially after 5 days in the City itself! ;)

We ate Pan Fried Chicken, Jerk Shrimp, Garlic Knot's, Broccoli Rabe , a "Christina", Fried Shrimp, Deep Fried Calzone, Sausage Slice, Italian Ice, Cannoli's, Fresh Salted Mozzarella. The food was great, but it was about much more than that!

Thanks Dave
Great memories!

Reviewed October 1, 2013

My son was heading off to UCSD and I wanted to do something special with him. I know that he loves food so I found Dave by searching the internet. I will tell you that it could not have been a more special trip and Daves tour made it perfect. My son and I had a great time and it will be a forever memorable trip! Dave gave us such a great tour and was so informative not on only food but all aspects of the city itself.

Dave,
Thank you for making such a special day even more memorable.

Thanks For Everything!
Toby and Dakota

Reviewed September 14, 2013

Hands down the best food experience that we have had and the highlight of our trip to New York in August was the four hours spent with Dave eating our way around Brooklyn. Tears of joy as I bit into fried pierogies and onions, speechlessness at the pizza slice and spumoni at Spumoni Gardens then ecstasy as I bit into my first Bialy with belly lox. Seriously it was a religious experience for foodies..If you base your travel experiences on food like we do, then this is definitely the best investment you can make when you go to New York and a must for every foodie. Even the locals wouldn't know about some of the places we went to and you definitely couldn't have this experience without Dave expertly guiding you around the city he loves and knows so well.
The one downside? Discovering the joy's of Manhattan Special only to never find it again on the rest of our trip. Oh well. There is always next time and there absolutely will be a next time which will involve another food pilgrimage with Dave at the helm to discover what other tasty delights there are out there waiting for us.

1  Thank Marnie C
Reviewed September 11, 2013

My husband and I took my parents on Dave's Food Tour while visiting NYC in July. It was amazing -- I don't even know where to start! First off, Dave is extremely polite, absolutely hilarious and he doesn't drive like crap. He took us on a 4 hour eating binge through Brooklyn. We had incredible food: blueberry blintzes, fried periogies, frozen chocolate dipped key lime pie, regular key lime pie, lobster rolls, pork banh mi sandwiches, avacado shakes, hot and sour soup with dumplings, real Nathan's hot dogs and sicilian pizza. Trust me, you won't be hungry when you're finished! But, besides the food, it's also a historical & cultural tour. Dave knows the entire history of the city and we loved listening to him talk about it. It's well worth the money and we will do it again and again each time we visit NYC.

1  Thank Lynn W
Reviewed August 24, 2013

My husband and I recently did a tour with Fat Dave and I tell you - I cannot recommend it enough. We did a four hour tour (Dave organised us to share with another couple so we could save some money, which was greatly appreciated!) and he drove us out to Brooklyn to visit a number of places. Not only was the food absolutely fantastic, but Dave was a wonderful host/guide. He was extremely knowledgable on the culture and history of the areas we visited and was so engaging - as well as hilarious! If it wasn't for doing the food tour, we probably wouldn't have seen Brooklyn (only being in NYC for a week), and we certainly would never find the places we ate at. I can't even TELL you how good all the food was.
We felt really well looked after and after the tour he went out of his way to help us get back to our place.
This is an absolute must do while you're in NYC.

1  Thank KateARobertson