“Fanastic food and service!”
Review of Soy and Sake - CLOSED

Soy and Sake
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: West Village
Reviewed January 12, 2012

We loved the food: fantastic choice (try the satay: you would never tell it's not chicken), the service is friendly, fast and efficient. Nice, simple and clean restaurant in a great location.

The downside was the noise and vibrations of the underground. The table next to us ordered a sizzling platter and we left the restaurant smelling heavily of fried foods.

Would we go back? YES definately, but we would get take away!

Reviewed October 24, 2011

Soy & Sake is on our must eat at list when we visit the city. My 7 year old loves the buffalo wings and sweet potato roll. My husband and I usually get a Bento Bowl, as you get several items for a good price. We've brought non-vegetarian family here and they've enjoyed it too.

Reviewed July 8, 2011

Although not a strict vegetarian, I like to abstain from eating too much meat. This restaurant has a HUGE menu, prices are very reasonable, and we've enjoyed everything we've eaten on our multiple visits. There is a large fish tank along one wall, and there is great people-watching along the other side. The only down side is that you constantly hear and feel the subway rumbling below! But this is NYC-- did you expect chirping birds?

Reviewed May 26, 2011

I've been a regular at Soy and Sake since it's been open, and I have never had a bad meal. Love this place with all my heart. Their lunch specials are fantastic and very well-priced: I highly recommend either the Crispy Chicken Sandwich, or the (Soy) Peking Ribs and Broccoli.

Reviewed April 7, 2011

We visited here late on a Sunday evening so the restaurant was not exactly full but it was busy enough not to make it library-like. We didn't realise it was Vegetarian but were happy in the knowledge that Japanese cuisine deals with vegetarian options quite well.

The service was good from the get go. We like relaxed wait staff who serve but are not on top of you. He took our orders once we closed our menus. I had the gyoza while my partner had the avocado salad. As we are both Europeans; the portions in NYC are overwhelming. This is not exclusive to this restaurant but as usual they are enormous. We probably could have done with two starters and a side for our whole meal. We both enjoyed the starters.

The mains were a bit more of a mixed bag. My Tofu Pad Thai was lovely but because the (again HUGE) portion was bulked out using noodles, I thought the vegetable part was a bit on the mean side. The thing is there was plenty of veg in the dish- but because it was served in a bucket-like bowl it I just thought the it got a bit lost. The Ginger and Citrus "Beef" was pretty bad, the soy beef was actually the highlight. The sauce was goopy and unpleasant.

I'm sure this place is actually really good because, boy, it's cheap and there seems to be a lot of people singings it praises. I enjoyed my food but the portions are overwhelming and I think we had a misstep with the "beef". I am recommending a vegetarian friend this place as I am sure she will love it, and if I lived in NYC or return I wouldn't be against coming again.

PS. Depending on what floats your boat, DO/DON'T look in the fish tank, we left the restaurant in a fit of giggles after seeing a metre long poop coming out of one of the fish in the kitsch tank that lines the back wall.