“Hooray! The Upper West Side has a fantastic new Greek Restaurant!”
Review of Elea

Elea
Ranked #2,681 of 16,721 Restaurants in New York City
Neighborhood: Upper West Side
Neighborhood: Upper West Side
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

As the restaurant says, It's a true Greek Experience. Well, not being Greek nor have I ever been to Greece (bucket list) I'll have to take their word for it. But what I do know is that this casually elegant eatery is a welcome treasure in this densely populated residential neighborhood in Manhattan.

Airy and light, Eléa encompasses three floors. Friendly hosts and servers abound and while the menus are on the short side they offer a great variety of dishes.

For an appetizer my dining partner and I decided to try their 5 tastings of spreads...1. chickpea hummus - smoked paprika, marinated chickpeas, and micro cilantro 2. Taramosalata - roe of grey mullet, capers, red onion, and extra virgin olive oil 3. Tyrokafteri - spicy roasted pepper & feta 4. Skordalia - Greek almond and garlic 5. Tzatziki - Greek strained yogurt, garlic and cucumber. And all 5 were served with a heaping pile of tasty, toasty pita triangles. It was so delicious I had to remind myself to slow down and take human bites.

He ordered the Yemista - oven roasted tomato, bell pepper & zucchini stuffed with herbed rice and served in a cast iron skillet. Rich and flavorful, this hearty and earthy dish challenges the concept that a vegetarian entrees aren't satisfying.

And I surprisingly ordered the Lamb Paidakia - taverna style lamb chops with fresh but Greek fries. Surprisingly because I don't recall ever ordering them or cooking them in my adult life. My mom was a wonderful cook and often she would serve lamb chops, remember with that mint jelly from a jar? And honestly, I think it was my dad's preference to have mom over cook everything so the chops tended to come out like gourmet shoe leather instead of the perfectly cooked medium rare lamb that I ordered at Eléa. The meat had a delicious marinade and melted in your mouth. Yes, I did breakdown and pick the chops up and gnaw on the bone, they were that good. Oh and not one single Greek fry was left on my plate.

I can't wait to go back and try their Youvetsi - Xinomavro wine braised short ribs with baked orzo & kefalograviera cheese or any of their whole grilled fish or possibly their Mussels Avgolemono - Dekoning family Dutch style mussels with Greek herbs and avgolemono sauce.

την όρεξη

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (29)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Really lovely restaurant, very busy due to recently opened.
Everything was great, food, service couldn’t fault a thing.

Date of visit: February 2019
Reviewed September 8, 2019 via mobile

From the outside, doesn't seem to look impressive but inside is a very nicely decorated restaurant with ample space underground. Lively place and great decor. Food was excellent although some dishes a bit small, like the hummus. Our favourite was the seabass and there are many varieties to select between local and imports. Wine selections wasn't too bad and we ordered a fresh Greek wines which was quite refreshing with dinner choices include salads, calamari, fish and beef. Appropriate venue for both business and romantic settings. I understand the restaurant have been opened for only 9 months but we found it through on line searches on the upper West side.

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed August 30, 2019

Excellent food and good service. Nice ambiance and good location. Overpriced, but worth it, at least once !

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed July 29, 2019

Arrived and one guest was already seated on the lower level. The person I was with uses a cane and immediately the host asked if we would like to be on the main level. That was a GREAT start to dinner. We continued downstairs and there is a warm, light feeling. Our server (Miljan) had the right mixture of pleasantness and humor. We elected to go for a wide range of appetizers so we could try many different items. Miljan provided great suggestions, even not to order to much as he could always quickly add more items if we felt we needed more food. Service was quick and he was right on top of it. Would return.

Date of visit: May 2019