“Memorable”

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Central Park South & 8th Avenue
Transit: We are located on the third floor of the Time Warner Center in Columbus Circle. A Voce is conveniently situated at 59th Street and Broadway, near the A,B,C,D and 1 Trains. Additionally, the M5, M7, M10, M20 & M104 buses stop in/or near Columbus Circle.
Reviewed December 22, 2012

A pre-holiday lunch with a few friends, none of which (including me) had been to A Voce although we had been wanting to for a while. I wasn't overly impressed with the decor - a huge mural painted in bright primary colors in the entry to the restaurant itself did not fit it at all with the brown motif throughout the rest of the space. I'm not sure if the designer was trying for modern or industrial chic or what exactly, and although the seats were very comfortable and the view of Central Park was wonderful, the restaurant space as a whole didn't work for me. And that was the only negative of the afternoon.

The service was perfection - engaged, knowledgable waitress; helpful sommellier; courses served and cleared with virtually no interruption. Although a price fixed lunch menu is available ($33 for 3 courses) we all went ala carte. We all had a lot of questions of the waitress prior to ordering and she steered all of us in the right direction. I started with roasted trumpet royal mushrooms which were beyond good, followed by olive oil poached salt cod. When the cod was served my initial thought was "what a small portion" but it turned out to be more than adequate (and that includes sharing a few bites with my companions) and, more importantly, amazingly tasty. I also had a few bites of companions' various pastas and they were all mouth-watering. We ended up with several shared desserts. One of my friends probably summed it up best - "This is like have a mouth orgasm!". The bombolini with bittersweet chocolate and the espresso mousse were my 2 favorites. The topper was the marshmallow with lemon that we each got at the end - unbelievable. We raved so much that the waitress gave us a box of about 12-14 to take with us. It wasn't a cheap lunch - $300 for 4 of us before tip - but worth every cent.

1  Thank bchbumnyc1

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Every bite is an experience to your palate...I just adore this restaurant..the food is just superb and every dish is simply done with a twist to every bite..Some may not be to well trained to appreciate their dishes if by any chance you have not had regional cooking and for me..I just love every dish the kitchen puts out...besides all this..the service is good, it can improve at times but it all depends when you go..the view is very nice if you sit by the window overlooking the beauty of Central Park...I have enjoyed every luncheon there and will continue to go there as long as the kitchen is doing their job..putting out all the best their is...Try their wonderful desserts too..This is a nice place to bring friends from out of town as well and those that are in town and don't venture out of their own perimeters...Enjoyable at all cost! Keep up the good work! Bravo!

Reviewed December 8, 2012

This is not a bad restaurant. In fact, all of the dishes were very acceptable. The problem is that there are far too many other options in the area for this to make my regular go-to list. The menu was limited, the server did nothing to highlight the better elements of the menu. This is certainly not great traditional Italian in a modern setting. It seems to have an identity crisis --- not knowing whether it wants to make a strong statement as an Italian restaurant or as a creative chef-driven contemporary. Instead, it does neither. Now the wine list is another subject. The list contains some real hidden gems. Very good selection of Italian chard.s and some great and hard to find Barbarescos. The views could be very good, but the setting of the tables relative to the walls on the windows obstructs the views in a way that wastes great position on Columbus circle.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

This is my second time to this restaurant. The first time was when it first opened. Unfortunately, the second time around was not meant to be.

My second dining experience here left a lot to be desired. The hostess was very accommodating and gave me the best seat in the house. My table was the corner booth with full view of Columbus Circle, Central Park and the dining room. It was a most spectacular spot. I had envisioned a wonderful dinner, but the rest of the evening did not follow suit.

We sat down and was handed a menu for wines. As we looked through it we noticed the table was extremely unstable and wobbly. We asked to have it stabilized. No problem, first one waiter tried to help us, then another. Then a man who I think had to be a host or manager (he was wearing a sports jacket) came to help. He said he didn't work there, but would help. We thought he had to be joking, but never really knew the answer. He also tried to stabilized the table. All the while of trying to fix the table they left the candle and two glasses of water on the top. We finally moved it. Strange. We suggested that perhaps it would be easier to switch the table. At this point everyone in our half of the restaurant was watching. Approximately 20 minutes must have past. We started to joke around with the "manager", but was getting annoyed. We kept our cool. After another 5-7 minutes he finally agree that the table should be switched. We sat for a few minutes with no table and an audience. After about 25 minutes (from start to finish) we got a new table and some of the other guests gave us applause. We started our dinner with drama. Unfortunately, it didn't get better.

After this we didn't get service for at least another 10 minutes. We had already ordered drinks before the table fiasco. We got our drinks 1/2 hour after ordering. We were still calm and pleasant, but quite confused. Our waiter never introduced himself and we never quite figured out who was our waiter. We had several people serve us that evening. I hate to say this, but the men that served us seemed more like experience bus boys, than waiters. They were all nice and pleasant, but not particularly experienced or well informed.

We ordered 2 glasses of champagne, 2 glasses of wine, 2 pastas, one entree, a side of kale and one dessert. We shared all the dishes. The first pasta was the hand crafted pasta with mussels, bitter orange and chili. The second pasta was the cocoa pasta with duck confit. Our entree was the Branzino. Dessert was frozen semifreddo, one cup of coffee and one cup of tea. Both of the pastas and the branzino were good, but not fantastic. I would skip the kale and semifreddo. Dinner was around $200 w/o tax and tip. I wouldn't say this place was expensive, nor inexpensive, but average for a nice restaurant in NY.

Mind you this is not a low end restaurant. So I was expecting better than this and since I had already been here, I was expecting at least the same. In fact, I sat at the same booth, just didn't get the same dining experience. Obviously, after my first time here, I would have said I would highly recommend this restaurant. Not this time, I would say a definite pass.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

Very interesting & tasty modern Italian food in the Time Warner building at Columbus Circle.
The proscuitto was good quality & fresh, the roasted cauliflower nicely spiced, & very good, as was the Sicilian eggplant.
The fava bean farfalle with rabbit was excellent & had great depth of flavour, but was quite filling for an appetiser.
The sea bass with artichokes & clams was excellent, the dish of the night.
The "roast chicken" however was disappointing, not roast chicken as such, but a large, fairly tasteless chicken breast which had been crumbed & panfried, then finished in the oven. No sign of thigh or leg, which one would naturally have expected.
Service was just OK, apart from the sommelier who had excellent knowledge of the extensive wine list. Our first choice was out of stock & he recommended a Central Coast CA pinot. I was somewhat reluctant as it was from 2008, not a great year there ( rated 3 out of 7 by the IWFS), but it proved to be a fine wine & suitable for our food choices.
The wine list is extensive & they are obviously chasing a recommendation from Wine Spectator. As with most of these type of lists you will find wines out of stock & overall, the mark-ups are very steep, particularly the Burgundies.