“Fiftieth Anniversary Dinner”
Review of The Capital Grille

The Capital Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #138 of 14,811 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Description: Within the hallowed walls of the Time-Life Building, and surrounded by some of the city’s most heralded attractions from Broadway to Radio City Music Hall, the imminent arrival of The Capital Grille is creating quite a stir of its own. Especially anticipated are our legendary dry-aged steaks, fresh seafood offerings, and a widely heralded collection of over 7,000 bottles of wine. All presented with unparalleled service in an atmosphere of relaxed elegance that serves as a respite to the frenetic pace of the streets outside.
Reviewed September 7, 2017

We chose this restaurant for our anniversary dinner based on other diners TripAdvisor reviews. They did not steer us wrong. We had an excellent meal and the staff went out of their way to make it a special time. When we were taken to our table, it was sprinkled with rose petals and heart confetti. There was a hand written anniversary card from the Capital Grille team. Our waiter, Angela, was so friendly and helpful. She took several pictures to make sure we had a keepsake of our celebration and helped us with menu selections. We chose to dine from the pre-theater menu., which included an appetizer, main dish, and dessert for $39.00. I had a New York Strip with garlic mashed potatoes and my husband had the salmon with creamed spinach. We both agreed the food was delicious and cooked to perfection. My husband chose wines from the Generous Pour, which consisted of 7 California and Oregon wines all rated 90 points or higher. He chose a different wine for each course and said they were exceptional. We finished our meal with classic creme brûlée with seasonal berries and flourless chocolate espresso cake. They had sprinkled Happy Anniversary on the serving platter. A delightful finish to an excellent dinner that we will remember for years to come. We highly recommend this restaurant for delicious food with a classy ambiance.

1  Thank Susan H
Write a ReviewReviews (1,206)

Reviewed September 4, 2017

We were staying at the Grande Hyatt and walked down a block to Capital Grille, Very nice cozy atmosphere in the bar. The bartender was very friendly, fast and made good drinks, Had the Filet Mignon and it was VERY good.

Reviewed September 1, 2017

On my last night in New York City, I walked several blocks from my hotel to The Capital Grille, where I was seated in a nice booth. I had made reservations earlier online. My server was a man by the name of Edgar, and he was superb. I had a couple of Dewar’s and water while listening to the soft jazz being played on the restaurant’s sound system. My meal consisted of a field green salad, steak au poivre, and a small serving of au gratin potatoes. I skipped dessert, and returned to my hotel after this excellent dining experience characterized by great food, wonderful service, and outstanding ambiance. This was my best meal while in the "Big Apple."

1  Thank CJTravelerTexas
Reviewed August 31, 2017

My wife and I have loved to try out the wonderful steakhouses in NYC. This trip it was Capital Grille. Service and attitude of the staff was outstanding. Menu choices were great. We had the brussel sprouts with bacon and au gratin potatoes - both were great. But the tenderloin steak I had and the Filet Mignon that my wife had seemed to have no steak juice whatsoever. We both ordered medium and from our view of the meat it was well done. There also seemed to be no seasoning to the meat. After about 3 cups of water we did finish our entree. Could have been simply an exception given the high volume of great reviews. For us on this night it was a 3 due to the steak issue.

Reviewed August 27, 2017 via mobile

My wife found capital grill on trip advisor what a find,staff very friendly and helpful
We had the set menu as it was restaurant week $42 for a three course I had sea food chowder ,one of the best steaks I have had perfectly cooked and desert or half a desert as I was about stuffed by then.
We sat on the balcony which was very pleasant.
One of our best meals in New York.