“Lives up to its fine reputation”
Review of The Capital Grille

The Capital Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #89 of 13,936 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Description: Within the hallowed walls of the Time-Life Building, and surrounded by some of the city’s most heralded attractions from Broadway to Radio City Music Hall, the imminent arrival of The Capital Grille is creating quite a stir of its own. Especially anticipated are our legendary dry-aged steaks, fresh seafood offerings, and a widely heralded collection of over 7,000 bottles of wine. All presented with unparalleled service in an atmosphere of relaxed elegance that serves as a respite to the frenetic pace of the streets outside.
Reviewed February 19, 2014

A wonderful place to dine! The decor is appealing with its dark wood booths and brushed metallic wall decor. The wait-staff was attentive-they checked first thing to see if we had a time commitment(theater, concert, etc.).They were attentive throughout the meal. They have a prix fixe dinner menu at $39.00, BUT YOU HAVE TO ASK FOR IT. It includes appetizer, main course, one side dish and dessert.. The sirloin steak was beautifully prepared with a tasty buttery sauce. Three of us had the sirloin, each asking it to be cooked to a different degree of pinkness. They were all perfect. Our fourth member had filet mignon which he felt was very good. The side dishes were enough for two people . The desserts-creme broule (sp?) and chocolate cake with ice cream were flavorful ways to end the dining experience. I would definitely recommend The Capital Grille..

1  Thank arichdevel
There are newer reviews for The Capital Grille

Reviewed February 2, 2014

Oh Capital Grille...I had such high hopes for you! I've been wanting to eat at your restaurant, ever since you took over space in the monstrosity known as the Beverly Center and you made it so pretty. But I suppose that the Beverly Center is another whole review...

In any case, I'm living in NYC now, and visited the midtown location. And here are my thoughts:

Ambiance: Capital Grille is beautiful...love the steakhouse-vibe it has (as it should). Everything, including the restrooms, are spotless. I can't fault CG in this area.

Service: The waiter was super nice but he kept disappearing. We had to ask another waiter to find him, just so we could place our order. Strange.

Food: The only good thing about our meal? The phenomenal bread basket. I mean, this was an AMAZING bread basket, and I have very high standards when it comes to bread.

For $43 I had the pleasure of not enjoying my entree of sea bass (I think?) in a mushroom sauce. The sauce tasted exactly like Campbell's Cream of Mushroom. I don't like Campbell's Cream of Mushroom. So no need to elaborate I suppose?

My husband was not impressed with his steak either. "Ruth's Chris is the best," is all he kept repeating. It was annoying but I let him vent. After suggesting CG, I figured it was the least I could do.

My daughter ordered the children's burger with fries. I am not a fan of children's menus, even less a fan of hamburger's on a children's menu, but I let her have her way for once. She obviously regretted that, saying "This burger tastes funny." Hmm. I bit back a "Maybe you should listen to our mom next time?"

Our sides of steamed broccoli and asparagus were fine, nothing to write home about.

The Bottom Line: If I'm being honest, I can get a better piece of fish from Fairway's deli. For less than 1/4 of what I paid at CG. I don't see the point in returning to Capital Grille and neither does the rest of my family.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

This visit to the CG in this location was our 2nd visit to Capital Grille in NY, but our first to this location. This location didn't provide the same level of outstanding service and food as our visit to the CG at the Chrysler Centre (reviewed separately).
Dinner this night at the Time-Life location was with friends and colleagues, and we occupied a small private room upstairs which was fantastic. Great ambiance. Our waiter and assistant were excellent overall.
Appetizers all around were excellent - among them the shrimp cocktail, crab cakes, caprese salad.
The filet that I ordered to be medium arrived considerably undercooked. I asked for it to be sent back, and when it arrived, I could tell it was my original steak that they'd re-fired. I was surprised by this. When I cut into it to check it as requested, it was still underdone. There was blood all over the plate and I even had to ask for a fresh plate I could transfer it to. Because we were with a group, I didn't want to make any more fuss or wait any longer for another steak, so I ate around the outside as best I could, the parts that were properly cooked.
Another person at the table also felt their steak was underdone, but didn't send it back. When we commented to the waiter as he cleared our plates, he said that "in NY we tend to undercook our steaks". He didn't tell us that when we placed our orders - if he had, I'd have asked for med-well. But to me, that's no excuse for the chefs obviously rushing the cooking and doing more than one steak underdone. I was surprised to find that my entree wasn't removed from the bill. However the waiter did bring a complimentary dessert plate for the table to share, as a form of apology.

Overall, a good meal, as everything tasted great. Just wasn't flawless like our first visit to the CG at the other location.

Reviewed January 31, 2014

Rubbish. For the price this should be 5 stars, but sadly the only good thing about this restaurant is the décor. The food is terrible, from the starter of onion soup with melted cheese all over everything, the sides of the bowl the doily the plate, everywhere, it honestly looked as if someone had vomited over it, a real mess, to the 14oz Steak, with no flavour, and mash potatoes with potato skins mixed with the mash, what are they thinking of? Absolutely no class no finesse and no thought as to what is served. I don’t mind paying expensive prices for quality food, but for poor food is terrible. Other people who rate this food obviously do not get out much, or someone else is paying. Average cost for 2 with I bottle of wine, $300

Reviewed January 20, 2014

I booked a table but was the first client for a 12h15 lunch. Nice setting and arrangement of the restaurant make you feel confortable and cosy. Nice "old style" jazzy american music was perfectly appropriate to the place.
I had 6 oysters as starters : good and well presented but not exceptionnal.
A 10 oz filet mignon with mashed potatoes (with chopped bacon bits, delicious) and creamy spinach followed. This was one of the best steaks I have ever had !
A crème brûlée brougth the final touch...
The service was impeccable : friendly but courteous and discreet, informative and well timed.
85 dollars without tip (no alcohol despite a loooong wine list).
My best steakhouse experience in NYC so far !