“Good food but terrible service ! It's not even worth a try !”
Review of The Capital Grille

The Capital Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #154 of 14,583 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Description: Within the hallowed walls of the Time-Life Building, and surrounded by some of the city’s most heralded attractions from Broadway to Radio City Music Hall, the imminent arrival of The Capital Grille is creating quite a stir of its own. Especially anticipated are our legendary dry-aged steaks, fresh seafood offerings, and a widely heralded collection of over 7,000 bottles of wine. All presented with unparalleled service in an atmosphere of relaxed elegance that serves as a respite to the frenetic pace of the streets outside.
Reviewed December 24, 2012

I went to the"capital grille" on christmas eve with my family because I read the previous reviews on tripadvisor. Let me say i'm really disapointed! Poor service : rude waiters, not professional at all, didn't excuse themselves for forgetting our sauces,... They are only willing to make you spend as much money as possible, not taking you seriously because you're a "tourist". I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.. However, concerning the food, I have to admit it was good but not extraordinary.. It's not worth the price. Here's a tip : if you ever see that restaurant : pass your way !

Write a ReviewReviews (1,181)

Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

I don't feel this NY location had as good a menu as other CG's I have been to. My wagyu was charred on the top and my friends was rare (asked for med well). I would not go this location again. Mashed and Tom/Moz was nice as always. Wine selection was extensive and overpriced but it's Manhattan.

They did give my cousin a nice hand written card for her birthday and a free piece of cake (cake was so-so).

The parking voucher expires after 4 hours, we parked next door for 4 hours and 12 minutes, so the 12 minutes cost us $20 and we got nothing for the $1,000 we spent to eat. Nice but not worth the money.

1  Thank mikeyhand
Reviewed December 13, 2012

This place is outside of our normal dining budget when we travel but on our first trip to NYC in 2011 we decided to try it because it was, at the time, the number one rated restaurant in New York City (according to Trip Advisor). It has since fallen quite a bit in those rankings and I really can't tell you why. We enjoyed it so much the first time around we decided to go back on our most recent trip to NYC and were not disappointed. My ceasar salad was fresh and plentiful and the waitress politely persuaded me to try the Kona Crusted dry aged sirloin and it is quite possibly the best steak I have ever eaten. It was cooked to perfection as was my wife's filet mignon and the Sam's mashed potatoes that came with it are melt in your mouth divine. Service was excellent, ambience is warm and relaxing and they offer an extensive wine list to suit all tastes. Dining from the pre-theatre menu will save you a few bucks but it was still a $160 tab with tips and drinks and it was well worth it!

Reviewed December 11, 2012

I wen to The Capital Grille on a Friday evening, with a party of 12 for a 50th birthday and an anniversary, and I must say I was dissapointed. When my whole party arrived we had a private room that was very warm. I spoke to the server about lowering the heat, and he brushed me off said he didnt control it. We waited for about 20 minutes to get water for the table. We then ordered appitizers, the server forgot 2 of the apps and 1 soup, he did take them off the bill but we were looking forward to them. I then procceded to order the filet mignon (Medium Well) and it came back rare. Our server never came back to check on us after we got our food so I went in search of a server, who apologized and sent my steak back. Finally my steak returned to the table and the outside was burnt and the inside was chewy. A filet mignon should not be chewy.

The sides were very good, and the server did know a lot about the wine selection. He did also give us a complementary dessert.

I may return to this restaurant with a smaller party, and hope to receive better service.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

Surprisingly good food and quick service, once seated. The host staff though are incredibly rude and cannot manage reservations and tables properly. Kept waiting 25 minutes for a 12:30pm reservation made days before. That's not acceptable for business lunches and a real deterrent from picking this place in the future. Waiter forgot one appetizer and had to be flagged down. Despite the good food it's a chain and it shows. Strictly for the bridge and tunnel crowd, tourists, and the NY dining novices.