“Great dinner”
Review of The Capital Grille

The Capital Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #85 of 13,687 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Description: Within the hallowed walls of the Time-Life Building, and surrounded by some of the city’s most heralded attractions from Broadway to Radio City Music Hall, the imminent arrival of The Capital Grille is creating quite a stir of its own. Especially anticipated are our legendary dry-aged steaks, fresh seafood offerings, and a widely heralded collection of over 7,000 bottles of wine. All presented with unparalleled service in an atmosphere of relaxed elegance that serves as a respite to the frenetic pace of the streets outside.
Atlantic City, New Jersey
“Great dinner”
Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

Always a great meal. The truffle fries and corn are a big hit with the steaks. Wish my waiter used a pen and pad to take the order because he missed my crab cocktail order.

1 Thank Rickalb

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
“Anniversary Dinner”
Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

Booked pre theatre table at this restaurant, and was amazed at the size of the portions of the pre theatre dishes. Superb steak, served perfectly cooked just how we ordered. Service was excellent.

Lovely booths for your own privacy. We told them it was our anniversary and they sprinkled the table with love hearts and make a card for us. Very thoughtful.

Would highly recommend.

1 Thank DawnG1
New York
“They gave us food poisoning”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Very dissatisfied with my dinner here and the restaurant's service. My wife and I ate here last Friday night. Thirty minutes after we finished, both of us suffered an intense bout of diarrhea and had to rush home. Later that night, I called the restaurant, and when the manager spoke, the first thing out of his month was that food poisoning cannot happen so quickly. On that point, he is incorrect.

There was no apology, just a vague promise to look into it. To get blown off at what is supposed to be a nice restaurant is astonishing.

• Visited October 2012
4 Thank Pinkygen
Buckhannon, West Virginia
“Delicious but too much”
Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

Our last night in NYC we dined early at capital grill. Our reservation was made last minute so our table was not the best, seated in the doorway of a room. Ordered the lobster and crab cakes that were good. I had the bone in Delmonico ribeye which was too much food for me, should have shared hubby's NY strip with him. Both steaks were cooked properly. Wine is always overpriced, which is such a disappointment but we chose an excellent wine for our dinner. Service was really good at first then when they became busy, it was noticeably slower. It was good but not outstanding. It is a Chophouse style restaurant. So if that is what you are wanting, go for it especially if you have the money and the appetite.

1 Thank Debbie H
“The Birthday Special”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

My wife took me to Capital Grille for my birthday. She had booked the reservation and told them the special occasion. When we got to the table, they had tiny hearts and stars scattered on the table with a birthday card from Capital Grille. They also took our picture to capture the event and gave it to us as a memento.
While it was really a nice jesture, it was nothing as enjoyable as the filet mignon and lobster mac and cheese we had with a bottle of merlot. We've been to Capital Grille in several cities including Boston, Washington and several times in NY. We never come close to being disappointed with the dinning experience. If you are looking for a can't-miss night out with your loved one, I'd highly recommend Capital Grille. The service is just outstanding and the fine dining atmosphere definitely puts you in the mood that you're experiencing something special.
I love desert but can't seem to get past their flourless chocolate expresso cake, although I did enjoy the ice cream that they make themselves with coconut cookies.

• Visited November 2011