TripAdvisor
Inbox
Search

Ways to Experience Bowery Boys Walking Tours
More Info
All reviews nyc history gilded age washington square personal anecdotes small group highly recommend this tour excellent tour new york podcast noho topic lowry stories architecture visitors informative information
Selected filters
Reviewed June 30, 2019

My husband and I, both big fans of the Bowery Boys podcast, just did the newly added tour of Central Park. Our guide Emma was knowledgeable, the group was a great size, and we learned a lot—even as New Yorkers living right near the park!

1  Thank Navigator645411
Reviewed June 25, 2019

I loved every minute of the Bowery Boys Walking Tour of NOHO. This neighborhood has a rich and fascinating history that came to life as we walked around Astor Place and Washington Square. The pace was just right and Carl provided vintage photographs that gave us an idea of how the area had changed over the years.

Reviewed June 2, 2019

If you are a fan of Edith Wharton, this walking tour is your Holy Grail! During two hours, as we walked from Madison Square Park to Washington Square, all the skyscrapers and busy traffic disappeared giving place to brownstones, broughams, and beauty. The wizard that had us all entranced was Mr. Carl Raymond, former opera singer, current foodie, historian and one of the best history tellers I had the pleasure of knowing. The best walking tours are those that leave you craving for more. Well, mission accomplished Mr. Raymond (and Bowery Boys)!

1  Thank LucianaClark
Reviewed May 26, 2019

This was my “dream tour” as Carl Raymond brought Edith Wharton’s life, writings, family, friends, travels —even food!—and that entire fascinating era to life in his walking tour. We covered a wide geographical area, saw more sites than I had anticipated, including some stops along the way related to other notables such as Oscar Wilde that was icing on the cake. I’ve read most of her books, but gained a new perspective by spending 2+ hours on this tour. He was happy (and able) to answer my questions, and elaborate on topics of special interest to me. It was a small group, allowing him to cater the tour personally—a huge plus. I am now rereading Wharton’s books, with a greater understanding and appreciation. I plan to take more Bowery Boy tours, and look forward to new tours from Carl. I’d highly recommend anything Bowery Boys do, as they are dedicated to bring NY History to life thru high-quality experiences, individual tailored experiences.

Date of experience: May 2019
2  Thank Elaine F
Reviewed May 22, 2019

A wonderful tour highlighting the history and architecture of this fascinating area of the city. Our guide Emma was top shelf and did a first rate job in helping us visualize a Gilded Age shopping experience. Fascinating to lean how the neighborhood has gone full retail circle from Siegel Cooper Department Store to Bed Bath and Beyond! Bowery Boys listeners will be glad to know that the tour, like the podcast, does not disappoint. Great job!

Date of experience: May 2019