“Amazing Apartment and Service”

Chic&Budget New York
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Amazing Apartment and Service”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Staying at the 132nd St Apartment, the location did leave me a little apprehensive, given Harlem's reputation. My apprehension was only made worse by the cab driver warning me repeatedly NOT to venture outside after 10 O'clock at night. I have to say though, this turned out not to be the case, and the Harlem locals were friendly and warm. Bert greeted me on arrival, and his assistance and explanation of the subway system and how Manhattan worked was invaluable. The apartment was amazing...Well furnished, comfortable and warm, and at only a few minutes walk to the station, amazingly convenient. This was my first trip to New York, and with only 4 days up my sleeve, the convenience of the location, Bert's advice on how to get around and the very competitive price made this a perfect location, and I saw everything I wanted to see with ease. Would definitely recommend to anyone looking to stay in New York and doesn't want to pay for all the expensive bells & whistles a Hotel insists on charging you for. I'll definitely be back...Thanks Bert & Chic&Budget!!!!

Room Tip: Get your head around the Subway system, and you'll find it easy to avoid expensive cab fares.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mat S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We stayed on the 127th apartment on July 27 to August 3rd and it was very good. Mr Bert is a nice and helpfull person. He explained us the way to use the subway, how to move in the city and additional places to visit. It is the second time I stayed with them and I really recommend them, their apartments are all renovated, clean, comfortable and price is affordable

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Monramirez
Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

We stay there in july and that was amazing! If you need a very nice and cheap place to stay you need to get there ! Rooms are clean, bathrooms are small but very convenient! I highly recommend this place !

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Lalonde035
Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We stayed at Chic & Budget 127 in December of 2011 but I neglected to write a review at that time. We found the location to be great! We learned very quickly that if you want to visit New York it is much more fun to stay outside of the "touristy" areas. The express train will get you to midtown or downtown in no time at all. Also - food is a lot cheaper uptown. Avoid eating at the tourist traps and eat at some of the awesome diners and restaurants in harlem and the upper west and east sides.

The bed was very comfortable and the apartment was pretty quiet even though it was shared with the other guests - I think we only saw them once? Be careful with the hot water: We were sharing the house with guests who loved to take hot showers in the morning. When it came our time to shower we only had cold water left. This made for a rather frustrating and enjoyable start to the day. Though, on the plus side, I supposed it woke us up!

Bert was very helpful and talkative and answered any questions we may have had. We had a good chat about Toronto (where we were coming from) and New York and he told us to call him if we had any further questions.

We did have a slight issue come up at the end of our stay but it was addressed promptly and with excellent customer service. It was because of how this was handled that we knew we would come back again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jay T
Urbana, Illinois, United States
Reviewed January 2, 2013

excellent! The location is good and the price is decent! The landlord is a very nice and kind person. It is more like a home than a hostel, it was a surprise for all of us! We stayed in NYC for about 6 days, the location is good. There is a subway station 2 blocks away, you can take the metro to anywhere you want. Restaurants nearby are convenient, they have Wendy's and Pyepye there. Overall, excellent!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Barry C
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed December 14, 2012

This place is beautiful and Bert is probably the nicest person in NYC :) Love that you get use of a full kitchen (and washer/dryer). This is great for breakfasts and late night snacks. Room was quite large. Typical small NYC bathroom. All very nice. My only complaints? You can hear other guests coming and going (door slams), lots of light comes in the windows at night (would really benefit from blinds or shades behind curtains - or heavy drapes), smells from other guests (hair spray, cigarettes) wafted through the bathroom vent. That being said, it is a really nice place with a good location - Starbucks, etc at 125th/Lenox. It does take a little extra time each day though since you have to travel to and from Harlem. This was really the big dealbreaker for me as everything I was doing in the city was in Midtown on the West side and resulted in several train changes each trip. Would I stay here again? Yes, but only if I couldn't find a nice place in midtown or if I planned on only visiting the Harlem or UES area. Oh - and there's free WiFi, which is awesome too! It really is a nice place.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TravellinMofo
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I too can't speak highly enough of Bert.

Great welcome as soon as we pulled up in Town Car out the front.

Had downstairs garden apartment and found it to be warm, clean and spacious with own private bathroom.

Kitchen facilities upstairs great of making toast and coffee - you could cook, but hey your in New York so explore!

Short walk to subway and plenty of local stores to buy milk and snacks.

Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple