“Wonderful steak.. service was lacking”

Le Relais de Venise L'Entrecote Midtown East
Ranked #692 of 16,302 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: French, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown East
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Visited this restaurant with friends while in the city for the first time. The steak was phenomenal which was good as it's the only option on the menu. The fries however not so much. They were cold and tasted as if they were frozen french fries. For the price I expected more. The salad was wonderful, the service not so much. We had to request for a drink order to be taken as it was just assumed that we would be having wine. Each time we needed something we had to hunt and wave our server down. The deserts were just okay. Nothing to write home about, in truth we probably could have gotten better from a street vendor. Still.. being so unhappy about most of the visit... the steak and the super secret sauce was phenomenal enough to make me want to return again.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (792)

Reviewed January 14, 2020 via mobile

I love the idea of L’entrecote. Steak and fries only. It is exactly what it suggests. The only reason I give a 4 out of 5 is I find the service in nyc to be annoying. The food is delicious. The price is correct. It is unpretentious, weird and wonderful.

Date of visit: January 2020
Reviewed January 1, 2020

The restaurant follows the Paris formula to the letter with a decent cut of meat, wonderful fries, and a great salad. The desserts are also wonderful.

Date of visit: February 2019
Reviewed December 29, 2019

My spouse and I have eaten at Le Relais de Venise several Christmases. First of all, it's open on Christmas Day, and it serves its regular menu instead of an overpriced "special" menu. Most importantly, the meals are dependably delicious. The frites are superb, the meat is always cooked to our liking, the sauce is very interesting, the salad is fresh, the baguette fresh and crusty. The lack of butter and ketchup, such a huge issue for some reviewers, makes no difference whatsoever to me. I've eaten at their original location in Paris, and that's how they do it there. If you need ketchup, bring some packets from Mickey D's. If you need butter, bring a couple of those little containers from your hotel restaurant. I guess I have little patience with people whining over trivialities. I think this restaurant is fantastic; I think the fact that they were packed on Christmas night attests to this restaurant's quality.

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed December 26, 2019 via mobile

After visiting their main location in Paris, our daughters have become die-hard fans of this place. We just had dinner at their NY midtown location and we had a great experience. Steak cooked to perfection, its bernaise sauce is a success and their desserts are to die for. Definitely a french classic in the middle of Manhattan.

Date of visit: December 2019