“Okay-ish - Average, nothing special.”
Review of Mad Dog & Beans

Mad Dog & Beans
Ranked #911 of 14,139 Restaurants in New York City
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Financial District
Cross street: Hanover Square
Transit: 4/5 to Bowling Green 1 to South Ferry R/W to Whitehall Street J/M/Z to Broad Street 2/3 to Wall Street
Reviewed May 18, 2013

My partner and I visited here on the 13th May around 6pm. It’s very dark inside this restaurant in fact so dark we struggled to read the menu. We were also sat at the back of the restaurant despite it being pretty empty right by the door which was open and blowing a breeze. I asked if we could move seat which wasn’t a problem however the staff aren’t particularly friendly or over attentive.
I love Mexican food, the Burrito I ordered was delicious however my partner ordered a Quesadilla was nothing special and didn’t look very appetising. All in all the food was okayish however if your looking for a romantic meal this is not the place for you. The music is loud and it’s dark inside this restaurant, nice if you want to grab food quickly before a night out on the town. The service is okay however I had to ask twice for a knife and fork which my food was going cold and the staff were chatting and not doing a lot.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

Finding a restaurant open on the weekends in the Financial District of NYC is a challenge. But hiding out amongst the giant buildings of Wall Street is Stone Street. A fantastic, lively row of restaurants lining a cobble-stone street. It's truly amazing. We have decided to try every restaurant on Stone Street, starting with Mad Dog & Beans.

We went on a Saturday at 4:30pm. The place was packed! And most looked like locals or locals who were with visiting family/friends. I say this only because you don't see many tourists wandering in this area who stumble onto this street. It's too far away from Battery Park and South Street for tourist to accidentally wander near it.

When approached by the Manager, he asked how many and we said 3. He told us a half hour wait. To be fair, the place was packed but there were a couple of large tables being "held" for larger parties. We understood and told him we'd come back another time. We were about to move on to the next restaurant and he offered us the large table that usually seats 6. We each ordered a drink (which took a while, the wait staff was a bit unorganized).

We shared a guacamole (double) and each had a main entree. Dinner was over $150.00. I woud say the food was average. I have the chicken tacos. Not bad. Portion size was ok. Antoher person in our party said the meat was a bit tough. The portion size was good. The guacamole was ok, but I expected it to be prepared table-side (which is done at Rosa Mexicano) but it was not. And I would say the Gaucomole at Rose Mexicano is better. As with any other restaurant, you pay dearly for the drinks. So, price wise with portion size, it wasn't a bad deal. I just can't say that the food was spectacular. Service was a bit slow and we were sitting right next to the bar. Had to ask for plates for the guacamole.

So, if you are in the mood for margaritas and guacamole, you can't go wrong. Just don't expect spectacular food.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

I can take slow service, even incompetent service, but insulting service is unacceptable.... I invited my parents and a family friend (visiting from Barcelona) out to dinner at MD&B. We ordered a bowl of guacamole which was actually very good, so naturally we ordered a second one -- except this time there was A LOT less guacamole in the bowl. It actually looked like someone had already eaten from it! Now, I wasn't up in arms about the noticeable under-serving of guac, but considering that we were paying $12 for mashed avocados, I thought it was appropriate to point that out, which I did, delicately and politely to our waitress. So, seemingly understanding, she nods and walks away, only to return with the manager (who apparently has nothing better to do than personally arbitrate the guacamole servings of customers). “Uhh, well, you see it’s not an exact science and we mash these by hands…yada yada…” The only remaining bogus thing for this guy to say was that the bowl was bigger! So, after he brow-beats us about the guacamole my poor mom, embarrassed, just tells him to forget about it, after which he finally "insists" that he's going to get us more. At this point, we had lost our appetite. Well, a few minutes later...one of the guys that works in the back, NOT EVEN THE WAITRESS HERSELF, comes to our table and drops a half an avocado....that's right, you read that right....HALF AN AVOCADO!!! We were beyond insulted.Needless to say, we will not be returning to this place again.

2  Thank Nez D
Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

I had the tortilla soup and the fajitas. Pretty standard (American) Mexican fare. I wasn't a huge fan of either. There was just something "off" about each if them. I won't return.

Good music playing in he background though.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

Had a great meal here while on business. Close to Water/Wall Street, on Stone Street. Recommended by local colleague for the margaritas, and she was on the money! Chips and pico were outstanding, as was the tortilla soup. Blackbeans served in a smaller cast iron pan, nice touch. There was a crowd, but we were seated quickly. Looks like good, steady business. Not sure you could get a big group in here, and it was loud during dinner hour. Still a nice experience.