“Diamond in the Rough”

Distrikt Hotel New York City
Ranked #67 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 1, 2014

As always, the reviewers of Tripadvisor.com did not fail me. My BFF and I decided to go to NYC for our 30th birthday in August-Sept. I came on here, like I always do whenever I'm planning a trip and found this cute boutique hotel.

When we arrived in NYC, it was not difficult to find the hotel. It was tightly snugged between other big name hotels but it was very visable. The hotel reception area was small but they had snacks and drinks for guests. The hotel rooms were very big for the price. It was clean and well kept and being that I have hotelpobia, this is not a lie. During reservation I had noted that my BFF and I were celebrating our birthdays so teh staff left behind cupcakes, chocolates and cards to wish us a happy birthday. THAT was awesome!

The hotels proximity to everything is ideal. I love to travel to big cities and always make sure to stay at the heart of everything. The hotel is right across from a subway terminal and within walking distance to time square.

I will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank type_r_ladee
Write a ReviewReviews (5,505)

Reviewed August 1, 2014

LOVE the hotel and LOVE the staff. All were fantastic. You could see the teamwork and collaboration in every member of the team, and all were super friendly and hospitable. Overall our 9-day visit was an absolute pleasure. The location was very easy for both foot and metro and, although there are some sleazy establishments nearby they were easily avoided by crossing the street (and let's face it, that type of establishment is found throughout all of New York). My teenage daughter and I never felt uncomfortable, but wanted to raise as other reviewers had mentioned. The hotel was very clean, beds and linens very comfortable, and enjoyed the in-room coffee pod machine. I have touted the hotel and sung its praises to everyone since my return. What a beautifully managed, fantastic hotel. We most definitely plan to return.

Room Tip: Some windows opened, some didn't. If that matters to you (as it does to me), be sure to inquire.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank joy_and_faith
Reviewed August 1, 2014

What a great hotel by the Ascend group. This boutique hotel is located in the garment district across from the Port Authority Bus Terminal, near two other name brand hotels by Marriott and Hilton.

Staff at the Distrikt are friendly and helpful in every way. Small and quaint, it definitely is with the price. As with another large Hotel we stayed at this week, we were offered in-room coffee, chocolates, and free wi-if here. Catch a subway near by to travel north or south on the island or walk to nearby Times Square and even Central Park.

Room Tip: Backside rooms are a bit quieter than being on the street side
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2014

So I booked this hotel for an event at Javits Center, it was about a 10 minute walk. The receptionists were very nice. Check in was okay, she rang up the wrong charges but quickly acknowledges it afterward and apologized. The hotel room card key is needed in order to ride the elevator to your floor. Basically, you just scan the card and press your floor number, very convenient. There's only 2 elevators but 30+ floors, so there may be a slight wait time.

I booked a standard queen's bedroom. I thought it as pretty small. I didn't have enough table space for my laptop and and few files. They do have a keurig coffee brewer, but I recommend you run it with water twice to clean out the residues before you brew your coffee/tea. The bathroom is very nice, the shower seems a little small, you might have to adjust yourself in order to close the glass shower door. I wasn't a fan of the Lather body wash, it has a weird smell and left my skin dry and itchy. I thought it was odd they didn't provide hand soap in the bathroom, I did enjoy the 2 sided magnifying mirror though.

The A/C in the room was very strong, very simple to adjust the temperature. However, the unit was very loud and when it turns on/off automatically it disrupts my sleep and the door gap was pretty big so lights from the hallway did shine in during night time. The bed was okay, wish the pillows were cleaner, it had water (most likely to be saliva) stains and reddish marks..and i found 1 hair, which i hope it's not what i think it is.

The hotel provides free hors d'oeuvres from 5pm-7pm everyday. I don't know if the food are the same everyday but i went and tried once, they had fried fish, corn with mayo/cheese, crackers and cheese and that's about it. They automatically charge 18% tip with the bill, which is fine. No free breakfast so if you decide to eat breakfast in the hotel like i did, make sure you just take a seat and wait for the waitress to serve you. I had the Everything Breakfast, the potatoes tasted awesome, I couldn't even finish the entire breakfast.

It's directly across from port authority so alot of loud noises but you do not hear any street noises in the hotel room. My room was close to the elevator so we did hear the elevator open/close, it sound like they need to lubricate the doors a bit, there were noise but not terrible.

There are a lot of restaurants and it's a short walking distant to many tourist attractions. I also walked to 34th street which took about 15 minutes. Overall it's not a very fancy hotel but i would come back again.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed July 31, 2014

Amazing price-quality, perfect location, a lot of help and advice from the staff, Hell's Kitchen (great food) nearby.
We stayed here for 8 nights and will definitely go back when we visit New York again.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2014

Friendly staff, excellent and well equipped room, very good air conditioning, central location near Metro station, bus station, Penn Station, Times Square. Would certainly recommend this for a family holiday.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 29, 2014

Reservations: easily made online through TripAdvisor.
Check-in: fast efficient friendly and accurate.
Room: small, beautifully furnished in a very modern style. Very comfortable pillows and mattress. Nice linens and towels. No closet. Small but nice armoire. Small but well put together bathroom. Excellent bath products. Very quiet and clean.
Check-out: fast efficient and friendly.
Location: near Port Authority so not exactly scenic but near to restaurants and bars and the subway. Easy walk to Chelsea and Hell's Kitchen.
Note: great Pizza joint down the block with $1.00/slice, you can't beat it at 2 am.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the rear of the hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business