“Excellent hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Perth, Australia
“Excellent hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

This is the second time to NYC this year; the third hotel I've stayed at in the US on this trip. The Distrikt was a recommendation from friend who stayed last year.

The location is central behind the Port Authority bus station at W 40th. The whole area around the bus station is not a great area; however, there are four hotels next to each other including a Sheraton and Marriott. Because it's always busy, I never felt unsafe even when walking around at night.

The room size was good by New York standards. I stayed in a King Room on the 11th Floor. When I booked, I requested a quiet room on the highest possible floor for the room rate.

There is construction going on next door which generates a fair bit of noise during the day. However, I didn't find it much of a problem. My room faced W40th. Being between 8th and 9th, there wasn't much street noise as the craziness generally happens on the corner of W40th and 8th.

The room itself was fairly spacious. In January, I stayed at a popular and significantly more expensive HOTEL near the New York Public LIBRARY near Grand Central. The Distrikt Hotel offers cheaper rates on the happening side of town and bigger rooms and the price difference was around US$100 per night. The rooms are noticeably bigger than the other hotel.

Upon arrival, there is a personalised Welcome letter and two delicious brownies when you arrive to your room. Standard of cleanliness was generally good although the room was quite dusty. Perhaps the dust was creeping in through the air con from the construction site next door.

The free wifi is a bonus. However, it can be patchy; also, the speed was significantly lower than in the other hotels I stayed at on this trip. Nonetheless, it was welcomed and functional.

Staff were very friendly, always greeting guests when they saw them. I asked for a late checkout as I had an evening flight. I was pleasantly surprised that the reception staff did not immediately dismiss me, as was the case at the other New York hotel I stayed at previously this year. I got the sense that they would genuinely try to accommodate rather than just pay lip service.

In summary, I would definitely recommend the Distrikt Hotel and I would stay here again.

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Colway

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,023)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2014

Had a great stay at the end of May for a belated anniversary trip. Everything turned out just as we would have hoped. The location was very convenient, the room was quiet clean and modern and the hotel staff went above and beyond to confirm a reservation for us after the restaurant's phone was busy for a very long time leaving us free to go out and enjoy our day. No complaints.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SpringGarden780
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2014

When I'm staying around Hell's Kitchen on business i stay at the Distrikt. The staff is efficient and easy to deal with. I've never had a single problem. The rooms are a good size for NY and always clean and quiet. Also, great showers.

Room Tip: I prefer a room on a high floor, facing away from the port authority
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Michael M
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2014

The best thing about this place is the staff. They bend over backwards to help you. Unfortunately the hotel was fully booked, and they couldn't do anything to get me further away from the construction.

The noise began at 7AM and didn't end till after 6PM. Jackhammers sounded like automatic weapon fire; sometimes the whole building shook from some loud bang. Is this even construction, or are we in a war zone?

Thing is, I did, in fact request as high a floor as possible when I booked. My room category allowed me to stay up to the 19th floor without an upgrade, and they put me on the 5th. They were able to move me to the... 8th (lovely), and told me that it would be a room on the quiet side. Well the scaffolding goes to the 10th floor, and there is no quiet side. The construction workers were right outside my window. I could open my window and shake hands with them if I were so inclined.

The staff did comp me breakfast, which was freshly cooked to order and more than adequate.

I did like most other things. Bedding was comfortable, with 4 nice feather pillows for the king size bed. The flavored water downstairs... very refreshing. Free wifi was very nice and zippy. Computers to use in the lobby for those without laptops.

The promised bar bites from 5-7 were hit and miss. One evening I went down and there were just a few stale fried morsels. Another night the game was on, the atmosphere was more festive, the spread was better, and free jello shots were on offer. Can't argue with that!

Whether or not you needed to order a drink to partake, also seemed to be hit and miss depending on staff.

Most of all I liked the location... a half block from 42nd Street station (can be entered on 40th), and only a ten minute walk from the convention center. So if you're here for a mixture of tourism and conventioning (if that's even a word?), then this hotel is perfect.

In fact, all things considered, I'd probably give it 4 stars, but for the exorbitant price. Maybe it's just par for the course, because it's actually one of the more "reasonable" places in the area, but nothing in midtown Manhattan is reasonable. Still though... I've stayed in the 5 Star London Marriott directly across from the Houses of Parliament for less than what I paid here (you can see my review for comparison). As pleasant as the Distrikt could be if there wasn't any construction, in no way does it compare to that, in a city that's every bit as expensive as New York, if not more. So while I understand that everybody wants to jack up prices in midtown Manhattan, there's just no way I can rate it higher, when it's quite possibly the most money I've ever paid for a hotel, and by far not the best.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank gregsf11
Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

This hotel is right by port authority if you plan on the subway. The location is great! Some wonderful restaurants are near here also. The staff was extremely friendly & helpful. Manny was great, along with everyone else. We were on floor 23 & had great water pressure in the shower. Re: another review. The room was a deluxe king & a little small, but we were really only there to sleep & ran around all day otherwise. We would stay again

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank BrenMarkE
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

We chose this hotel based on reviews and we were very happy with our stay! It is a small, modern hotel close to everything in midtown. The staff is excellent. Very friendly, helpful and always present. We had our family of 4 including two teenagers. It was a tight fit in the room but beds were comfortable and surprisingly it was very quiet! We were on the 26th floor next to the elevator which we were worried about but we never heard it. Only 5 rooms per floor. Nice city view with a view of the river also! The prices were very reasonable for NYC. Keurig coffee maker with all the fixin's was a bonus. There is a mini bar in the room, but there is no room to put in any of your personal food items. Great staff! Nice not to stay in a giant hotel. Great security...you have to use your key card in the elevator to use it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor and with a view of the water
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank JodiSav
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights in May to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. We will definately return. Staff were very friendly and went beyond our expectations in helpfulness. Location was perfect, very central but tucked away from busy areas. Room very quaint, comfortable and clean.
We are hoping to book again for next year. The Graves Family

Room Tip: We stayed in a suite on the upper floor. Quite spacious and quaint!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple