“great hotel very good service”

Hampton Inn Manhattan/Times Square South
Ranked #251 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed October 16, 2009

Stayed here for 3 nights early october, room was small but very clean with every thing we needed (we are not living there). Not the best area but not to bad if you turn left on exiting hotel and go via 8th ave. 9th does seem a bit seedy between 37th and 41st street. We had a great time, breakfast is good and will set you up for the day. Do your homework as price can vary check, all sites pricing seems to be going up the longer its open. Business center was vary useful but does get hot (they turn air-con off stops you staying in there to long ).

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,526)

Reviewed October 9, 2009

The Hampton Inn Time Square South is located relatively good and you will find many of the places in a walking distance. We were staying in a double bed room on a high floor (26th) with a great view to a brick wall (i wouldn't imagine they have anything better). The room was very small and it was very hard to handle the stroller for our baby, introducing the crib into the room made moving in the room impossible. The room was clean as expected from hampton network, nothing extra ordinary, the showers were also very small but clean. The service in the hotel is the real disappointment, you couldn't put a smile on the front desk people even if you told them they won the lottery, grim faced and always giving you the feeling that they are doing you a favor for every service they give you.
The hotel supposedly has a free wireless connection to all guests but in our room the connectivity was impossible, only when we went out to the elevators it came back.
The rooms are also very expensive and i thought i would get better return for the money i spent (354$/night)
I would not recommend staying in this hotel unless you get a deal you cannot refuse. There is a hotel boom in NYC for a while now, and you will find a better hotel with little effort.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Sivan L
Reviewed October 8, 2009

I stayed at the Hampton Inn Times Square South from 10/1/09-10/4/09 and I had a very enjoyable stay. The area is not "bad" as other posters have stated. It's a city street no different than many other city streets. If you've never been on a street in a city such as New York it might seem daunting. But it's as safe as you make it safe. Be aware of your surroundings and know where you're going. People who look clueless or lost are targets. So even if you don't know where you're going - fake it. Attitude is everything. Remember, any place can be "dangerous" from the cleanest suburban neighborhood to the dirtiest city street. The hotel is situated between 8th and 9th Avenues (though is closer to 9th) and both avenues are fairly busy.

You're only a few blocks from the theatre district which made the hotel perfect for me. While in town I took in a production of "Bye Bye Birdie" at the Henry Miller Theatre (on 43rd Street between Broadway & 6th Avenue). A very quick walk from my hotel. The staff was helpful and courteous and I have no complaints about them. Whenever I stay in a hotel I put the "do not disturb" sign on my door to keep out the hotel staff. I don't need my bed made every day and don't accumulate much trash during a short stay. While the Hilton Family of hotels is quite reputable I'm not sure the temptation to go through someone's belongings or swipe something would never occur to one of their employees. Temptation is always around. Especially when there's a laptop and an ipod in the room. So, I just have them stay out of my room. They can clean it once I'm gone.

I highly recommend this hotel. Only six blocks up from Penn Station and a few blocks down from the theatre district. Not many taxis come down 39th Street but one can be easily hailed at either 8th or 9th Avenues (though if you're going uptown it's better to hail one on 8th). If you're uncomfortable with the thought of hailing a cab just ask the front desk for help. I never had to do this but I don't see why it would be a problem. The only time I used a cab was when I went to the Lincoln Center (in the 60's). I walked everywhere else. Walking can be a real treat because you never know who you'll see. During my stay I saw four Broadway actors just walking down the street - one of whom was Dustin Hoffman.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank Eris0303
Reviewed October 8, 2009

The hotel was located just a block away from Times Square. It was also convenient to the subway. Having 2 young children along, it was a great place to stay, because breakfast was included. They could get something they liked and a snack to take along for later in the day. The hotel staff was very accomodating.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 27, 2009

No evidence of the start up problems mentioned by previous reviewers. Good room size by Manhattan standards. Double windows for soundproofing, quiet air conditioning. Friendly staff, good breakfast area, nice fitness facility, fast WiFi in room. The location might be a bit of a concern for families but did not concern me at all. Tall and narrow, only 6 rooms per floor. I'll be back.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Retailwonderer
Reviewed September 24, 2009

Excellent hotel and polite and friendly staff! stayed in posher, more expensive hotels in n.y and this has to be by far the all over best! staff are very friendly and helpfull, hotel nice and clean and location great too! view wasnt too good as we stayed in a room to rear of the building but we cant ask for everything, still was very tidy, clean and spacious room. would definately stay here again!!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank minted20003000
Reviewed September 21, 2009

I had a great stay at this hotel. There were a couple minor concerns that I took up with management, but they were great in helping with them. All the staff we encountered was very friendly. The business center came in handy since I did not bring along my laptop. Yes, the rooms are smaller compared to a normal hotel, but for NYC I think they were a suitable size. We walked late at night and never felt unsafe in this location. In fact, we saw NYPD officers posted up on many streets, so safety was not a concern. Overall it was a great stay and I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends