“Hotel good, location so-so”

Hampton Inn Manhattan/Times Square South
Ranked #237 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“Hotel good, location so-so”
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

This hotel on a map, seems central (Times Square is, after all a few blocks away), BUT if you like to travel by subway it is a bit off the beaten path. This is my third time in NYC in the past year, and the other hotels I stayed at this year and in previous years were much closer to subways. For example, taking the green line up to the Met isn't too easy from there...if you can't walk long distances, the blocks are long going East-West to the Times Square station, for example. This is definitely a tourist hotel and you won't be in a neighborhood with quainter boutiques and restaurants, or bump into as many local New Yorkers, compared to the upper east or west sides, etc.

However, the actual hotel was a typical Hampton with friendly staff. At breakfast the staff went out of the way to greet me and I sensed a lot of camaraderie amongst themselves, saying hello or good morning to each other. I loved that the hotel had a business center and a modern, smallish gym. I wouldn't say it was outstanding, but have no complaints either. The rooms were smaller but extremely quiet and clean.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank BRINCKLEY
vangie427, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan/Times Square South, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
We thank you for writing an honest review of our hotel! Our hotel is centrally located to most of the popular destinations in Midtown Manhattan and on the West side as well. Everything else is pretty much a cab ride away! Public transportation is nearby as well, with the Port Authority and Times Square station being a few blocks north of us. New York is all about walking, so you have to prepare yourself! As for our staff, they are generally warm and friendly towards our guests and with their team members as well. We are happy to see that you were happy with our hotel and that you enjoyed yourself for the most part. We hope to see you back soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

My first night here at Hampton Inn Times Square South. I must say I already regret booking my stay here for seven nights.

The rooms are smaller than small. I come to NYC every year for vacation. I can deal with a small room, but what I can't deal with is the rude customer service that I have already received. To be specific from a supervisor.

My carpet is torn in my room in two places and my bedspreads are covered with lint balls all over it.

The elevators are like snails.
You wait forever to get one. They say they have hot coffee and tea 24 hours a day. Not true! It's 11:00 p. m. and there is coffee, but ice cold. Yuck!

I am paying for two rooms and trust me it's not cheap. I at the least expect good customer service and a room without torn carpet and a bed without hair in it.

Sadly we are here for seven nights.when we return next year it will not be here.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for reviewing our hotel, and appreciate your honesty. We hope you grant us another chance to redeem ourselves. Until then, safe travels.
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Other than the incredible amount of time spent waiting for an elevator during breakfast hours or when you have luggage to transport, I have no complaints about this hotel. Typical, smaller NY rooms, but very clean and comfortable. The breakfast is one of the best I've had in a hotel. However, it gets very crowded and I wondered if people were just walking in off the streets to partake in it. The free laundry available at Comfort Suites next door is a great service.

Room Tip: Stay close enough to use the stairs if you need to.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear plaug,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel! Since our building is in true Manhattan style and "compact" for the most part, elevator space has been a challenge we've had since day one. We tackle it as best as we can, so patience is a virtue here! We are happy to see that you enjoyed your accommodations and our free breakfast. We actually monitor our breakfast room and check if any one from off the street takes advantage of our breakfast. This is strictly for our guests only. We also offer our extended guests that have a collection of laundry to do, to walk on over to the Candlewood Suites next door and do their laundry for free! We hope you get to enjoy our property again. We will surely welcome you back!
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I was there recently for work. I have no complaints about my stay. The front desk personnel was excellent, especially Chris from the evening crew. He pointed out places on the map to see,, gave suggestions on where to eat, and was just very helpful in every way. I wouldn't let this worker get away. The rooms were clean and big enough to serve their purpose. The hotel breakfasts were excellent. Getting there before the crowds would be best though. I noticed it started to get busy by 7:30.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
We thank you for reviewing our hotel and for complimenting our wonderful staff member, Chris. He is definitely an asset to our team and I don't blame you for not letting him get away! The tip about arriving prior to the "breakfast rush hour" is very useful for our guests and it is something that we recommend if you want to sit and enjoy your food. Again, thank you for the review. We hope to see you back soon!
Brentwood, Tennessee
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Hotel staff was friendly and helpful, breakfast was good, the place was clean. Close enough to walk to Empire State building. However, next time I would book at the Hampton Inn Times Square North--instead of South. I realize we're in New York, but I have never stayed in a smaller hotel room. The staff explained that the "North" hotel was older and therefore had larger rooms. For four people with two double beds, we were a little cramped. But no real complaints, just a little short on space.

Room Tip: The hotel is 30 stories high with 2 small elevators. We stayed on the 29th floor, so there can be a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Elizabeth L, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan/Times Square South, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for choosing us during your visit to NYC! We really appreciate your honest feedback. Thanks for giving us a shot!

Have a great day!
Sugar Land, United States
Reviewed July 10, 2013

This hotel was just off the main path around Times Square and was quiet and comfortable. The staff was excellent and offered several suggestions regarding dining, sites and directions. The subways and several restaurants were a short walk. Times square was just three blocks away and yet our area was quiet and a little less trafficked. We enjoyed the breakfast and location however the only drawback was the elevators which were a bit crowded and busier times of the day.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Hello,
Thank you for your kind words. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please come back soon!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Our family of 7 stayed for one night - Saturday, 6 July. We booked 3 rooms. I would definitely come back and stay at this hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful with things to see and do in Times Square and 911 Memorial. Looking at the photos of the rooms, the rooms were actually better than expected. It was very clean and comfy. Even though the room space was a bit small, but it's a high rise building and in perfect location of Times Square. One small complaint, the elevator was very slow and small. There were only 2 elevators for a tall building which means a waiting line with everyone coming down for breakfast, checking-in and out. Coming in from Time Square around 1am, we felt pretty safe. We did find a parking spot down the street which saved us garage fee for parking a SUV. Besides the garage was closed. For NY garage parking, be expected to pay extra for an oversized vehicle (SUVs). But the hotel was in walking distance to Time Square 8th & 9th to 42nd street. Also, lots of shopping on 34th (midtown).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
vangie427, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan/Times Square South, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you so much for reviewing our hotel! We are very happy to hear that our rooms exceeded your expectations eventhough our building is definately in true New York style; small in size but grand in height. We hope to see you soon again. Have a great summer!