“Great place in midtown”

Hampton Inn Manhattan/Times Square South
Ranked #245 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed May 5, 2011

Stayed here 2 nights ago. It was a short trip but I had a great time. I was able to check in at 10am which was unexpected. The room was large comparatively and was furnished nicely. I was in room 301 which is at the back of the hotel and quieter than the front (construction across the street). Also, the AC was ice cold. But the staff I met along the way were fantastic - very friendly and accommodating. I did also enjoy the free breakfast and there was alot of selection.

Room Tip: rooms ending in 01 and 02 face the back
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
vangie427, Front Office Supervisor/ Manager On Duty at Hampton Inn Manhattan/Times Square South, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2011

Thank you for your amazing review. We are extremely happy to see that you not only enjoyed your stay at our hotel, but that we were able to accomodate your requests. We love it when the hotel stay has just as much positive impact on our guest experience. We hope you come back and visit soon!

Reviewed April 29, 2011

The headline really says it all. We had four quiet and comfortable nights here. The staff were very kind and helpful. The room whilst a little small was clean throughout the stay and the bed was superb with fresh linen daily. The location couldn't have been bettered for the price. We would recommend this hotel to all.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Macda_Cooke, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan/Times Square South, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2011

Dear Valued Guest: Thank you for taking the time out to review our property! We are delighted to see that the four nights you spent with us were clean and friendly! We hope this will prompt you to remain loyal to the Hampton Inn brand and also encourage you to visit us again! Thank you again for your time and patronage! Safe Travels!

Reviewed April 25, 2011

We chose Hampton Inn Manhattan / Times Square South hotel with all the positive reviews posted in mind. Even the negative comments did not seem that bad and the follow-up posts from the hotel management seemed like they really cared about your stay. The hotel boosts a 100% satisfaction guarantee. While reading my post keep in mind that the customer is not always right.

Go ahead and pull up any travel site and you can see that there are hundreds of hotels in the Times Square area to choose from. Hopefully you will find another hotel that cares about your stay and about there hotel reputation. The Manhattan/ Times Square South Hotel WAS NOT a pleasant experience for us. The staff had no clue how to treat guests or to find solutions to problems. Strive to provide exemplary pleasant service? Not during our stay.

I made our reservation six weeks prior to our arrival with the Hilton 800 number reservation center. The next day I opened our confirmation email and found that our request for a room with two queen beds was not correct. The confirmation had us for a king bed. After noticing this error, I called back the Hilton reservation center to make the correction. Hilton sent me a new email confirmation with my request for a room with two queens. You would think that with a correction made you would be all set. Not in our case! During my conversation both times with Hilton, I wrote down all the information including the room type confirmation number and room rate.

We arrived for our three night stay and upon check-in we had been given a room with a king bed. I then was told that that the hotel was sold out and there were only king rooms available. I told them that our reservation was for a room with two queens. The clerk said that they only had king rooms left and would I like the room or not. I was taken by this response and told the front desk clerk of the emails with Hilton the parent company of Hampton Inn’s. I went to show him my reservation from my Blackberry and he said that showing him would not matter that THERE system showed us having a king room and that THEY had upgraded us to a king room with a view. I never asked for an upgrade to a city view or a king room. He went on to tell me that I never made the correction to the room type with the hotel directly and that the Hilton 800 number reservation system is different from there system. This still makes no sense to me. The 800 call center must have control over the hotels inventory….

With two adults and two kids a king was not going to work. The clerk said that other guests behind me in line are waiting to talk to him. Was I going to take the room? I asked for the manager. Anthony the manager told me the same story that I did not make the change with the hotel and they would not honor my request. My request for a room with a king was made well over six weeks prior to check in. I had the email with me electronically.

Anthony the manager did spend over 20 minutes looking at his computer and then told me that the hotel had two other hotels run by them in the area and he was now going to see if they could accommodate us. I mentioned to him that we had two other families that have already checked in that we are traveling with. He asked if either of them would take our kids for the stay or change rooms with us. I’m still appalled with this question.

We ended up settling with a king bed with the hotel providing a single blow up air mattress with the promises that we would be switched to a two queen room in the morning. We headed up to our room and started to settle in. A young hotel staff member knocked on the door and handed me a bag that contained an air mattress. I inquired if the bag had sheets and a pillow. He responded by asking if we needed sheets. What was he thinking? I then called the housekeeping and asked them to make up the blow up air mattress. Don’t be surprised during your stay if you call housekeeping and they tell you that it will be at least an hour and a half for them to come to service your room. That all three hotels are sold out and they are busy taking care of other guests. Wait a minute, I’m a guest too!

The next morning getting ready to head out of the hotel around 8:00 am for the day, I stopped by the front desk to see if we should bring our bags down or should we leave them in the room. I different clerk checked our file and then stated that the hotel was sold out and nothing could be done to switch us. I made mention that the manager Anthony promised to move us and he even told us to bring our bags down or to leave them packed in our current room before heading out for the day.

This clerk continued to tell us that the hotel was sold out and that nothing in our file indicated that we were going to be moved. I again told her that the manager told us that he was going to move us. She stated that if any changes for guests would be noted in the computer. Nothing was noted of our change and nothing was going to be done. I again told her of the promises. She said that she doubted that anything could be down that the hotel was actually overbooked. I told her forget it that we would stay in the current room and I would talk with the manager when we returned around 3pm. I also told her that I did not what to be room less for the entire day hoping that a room would become open for us. I was thinking that what if a room did not open and we would have be a whole day paying for a room that we could not use. Why continue paying for a room that you don’t have access to during the day.

Upon are arrival back to the hotel we headed back to our room. The keys did not work. We went downstairs and the clerk from last night was there. I told him that our keys did not work. He told us that the manager changed our room and that our bags and belongings needed to be moved from our old room. I told him what happened this morning and that I told the morning clerk that we would stay and not to move our things. I made mention to him that the clerk this morning could not find any notes in our file of our room change. He said that it must have been in oversight.

This clerk said that our unpacked bags had not been moved that the doorman would go up and help me move our things. I went up to the room with the doorman to move our bags. The doorman used his key to open the door. Opening the door on the other side was a women getting changed! Needless to say, the clerk had no clue that our belongings had been packed up by housekeeping and moved to the new room. This clerk just got done telling us that the hotel policy is only to move packed bags and not to move a room when the guest had not packed things up by themselves. Guess what? This same clerk found an email from the manager to the housekeeping staff from 8:30 am that the manager stated that he had called me and got my permission to move my unpacked belongings to a new room. Remember nothing in our file to move us. The manager never called me. And according to this clerk our belongings were still in the old room waiting for us to pack and move are things.

The doorman accompanied me to our new room. Our bags had been packed and moved to the new room. We looked around and several $2.00 bottles of NYC bought water had not been packed and moved. The cord to my cell phone and a ¾ bottle of wine was missing. Also, my 12 year old son’s library book that was left on the room desk on top of the day’s newspaper was missing. I went downstairs and asked about the book and the cell phone cord. I was told that housekeeping would look into this for me. Again, an hour and half later there was a knock at the door and it was the housekeeping supervisor asking what was missing. I told her about the book and the electric cord. She said she would check with her staff and get back to me. I asked her who moved our things. She said she did not know that usually it was one member of her staff and that each room is inspected after it is made up by her or another supervisor to ensure quality standards. The items left in the room drawers and the bath room was thrown into plastic bags and moved to our new room. Our suitcase was closed and zippered up. We felt so violated with our things being touch by someone. I DID MAKE IT CLEAR THAT WE WOULD STAY IN OUR CURRENT ROOM AND NOT TO MOVE US!

We heard nothing at all from the hotel staff. I imagine the book and cord was thrown away when they cleaned the room. Just tell me that the items had been thrown away and we can move on. Telling me that the staff was going to look into this matter for us has us thinking that the hotel staff is out back searching in the garbage for our belongings.

We went out and upon our return the clerk asked us how our new room was. This was the same clerk that told us that nothing was in the system in regards to our room change. I asked her if she remembered me telling her that we no longer wanted to be moved. She did remembered and told me that the manager took it upon himself to move us even after she told him that we wished to stay in our room. I asked her how the search was going for the book and cord. She looked puzzled and said that every time a guest is moved the supervisor from housekeeping and a housekeeper moves the guest’s items. This is not what the housekeeper supervisor told me.

To end, I asked to speak to the manager on duty. I was told that he would call me when he returned to the front desk. No call ever came in. Upon check out I was asked by the same clerk who checked us in, told us that we have a new room and out stuff was still in the old room for us to move how our stay was. I asked if he could recall the problems we had. He said yes that the manager had left me several voice mails. I did not get one voice mail from him. I did get other voice mails but nothing from the hotel staff. Oh.. There was a note in the hotel computer to comp me one night stay. I would have settled for an apology.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
14  Thank AuggieN
Macda_Cooke, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan/Times Square South, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2011

Dear Valued Guest: Thank you for taking the time to share you experience with us. I would like to begin by apologizing to you and your family, on behalf of our entire staff. The experience you have described here is so different from what we strive to acheive with our guests. The last thing we would want ANY of our guests to feel is that they are not the top priority, and this appears to have been what we displayed to you. It seems as though we truly dropped the ball here- on many levels. I know that we failed to prove ourselves to you but I assure you that this is not being taken lightly and is definitely far from the norm here. We have and will continue to address this situation amongst our staff and management team. Thank you again for your time and patronage. Please extend our most sincere apologies to your entire family.

Reviewed April 23, 2011

We just returned from a week stay at this Hampton Inn, and we were pleased overall.

Pros: Excellent location. Walking distance to many attractions and public transport. Rooms are clean. Beds are very comfortable. Free breakfast and hot drinks throughout the day. For breakfast, there is always something hot, and they rotate the menu a bit, so that helps. The mainstays are bread, bagels, English muffins, make-your-own waffles, cereals, yogurts, and sometimes fresh fruit. There are freshly baked cookies (if you get there early enough) in the evening. Free wi-fi. Free access to business center with 2 computers and a printer.

Cons: Rooms are tiny. It's hard to walk around the beds. We had 2 full beds, but I think the sheets used were twins because the fitted sheet kept popping up. No bath tubs. The elevators, like everyone mentioned, are SLOW, especially in the morning. The free breakfasts are only served from 6 am - 10 am, so there is a mad rush at 9 am. Definitely not enough seating for everyone. And the "eggs" are not from chickens, so use your imagination. The Business Center is tiny, so if you're claustrophobic, you'll have a problem.

Room Tip: Avoid the elevators and get a lower floor.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank WLAMom
Macda_Cooke, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan/Times Square South, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2011

Dear Valued Guest: Thank you for your detailed review of our hotel! We are glad to see that you were pleased with your stay overall. As you can see from previous reviews, we do our best to make adjustments based off of the feedback we receive from guests like yourself. I would like to assure you that we are aware of the issue with the sheets (which were doubles) and have actually just switched laundry services! I will be sure to address the other points you have made with our management team! Thank you again for your time and patronage! We hope to have the opportunity to WOW you in the future! Safe Travels!

Reviewed April 22, 2011

We checked into our hotel for a 5 day stay. As there are many Hampton Inn properties we were unsure where we were going to be or what o expect. As thus is our last evening in NYC I felt I had to let you all know that I HIGHLY recommend this property to you all, rooms are very clean and comfortable, breakfast is excellent though can be a battle some days. The staff are very accommodating and the free coffee/tea and hot chocolate on tap 24/7 were unexpected. Only down side to this hotel is no where to get water or keep bottled water cool in your room

The location of the hotel is close enough to times square without being in the noise and hubbub of the crowds, took less than 5 minutes to walk to the centre of times square, 15/20 minutes walk to circle line pier for cruise and 20 minute subway ride to Brooklyn.

Give it a try you won't be dissatisfied or disappointed, I wasn't and I am a self confessed hotel snob!!!!

• Stayed: April 2011
vangie427, Front Office Supervisor/Manager on Duty at Hampton Inn Manhattan/Times Square South, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. We truly appreciate your kind comments. We are very happy to know that you were able to enjoy your stay and the many sights New York has to offer. The summer is a great time to be in NYC and there is always something to do. Thank you for choosing our hotel for this trip and we hope that you return soon!

Reviewed April 21, 2011

I've stayed at numerous Hilton properties in nyc, this one was small. That is to be expected in the city, but the flow of traffic in front of elevators is way too crowded. Breakfast was just eh. The Hampton located in Times Square North was nicer and better location.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business

Dear Valued Guest: Thank you for taking the time out to review us on TripAdvisor! We're sorry to hear that your experience was only good enough, as we are always aiming for perfection! I guarantee we will be using your feedback to make the necessary adjustments in order to reach that goal! We hope that this will not deter you from remaining loyal to the Hampton Brand! Thank you again for your time and patronage! Safe Travels!!

Reviewed April 13, 2011

I arrived at the hotel at around 11am expecting to wait or leave bags and explore. Immediately upon arrival I was checked in very quickly. I was given a high room in the corner at the back. It was a great room and very quiet.

The decor of the room was fresh and modern. The bed was a king size and was extremely comfortable. The TV was HD and was a large LCD. There was a coffee machine in the room too. The air conditioning worked very well.

The breakfast area was nice and clean and the food was great. Go for the Robust coffee, it will wake you up and tastes great.

There is a small business centre which has great modern PCs, a printer, stationery and a phone for local free calls.

There are ice machines on most floors. There was one near my room which was really handy. It has a chilled water outlet too.

The staff were great. About 30 mins after check in I received a call in the room asking if everything was OK and whether there was anything I needed. Can't beat this hotel for great service and really caring for their guests.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business

Dear Valued Guest: Thank you for taking the time out to review our property! We are thrilled to see that your stay was enjoyable from begining to end, as this is our ultimate goal! We hope this will encourage you to continue choosing the Hampton Inn as your hotel of choice! May your travels bring you back to visit us soon!