“Warm and Cozy”
Review of Dorit Baxter New York Day Spa - MOVED

Dorit Baxter New York Day Spa
More attraction details
Owner description: Dorit Baxter's New York Day Spa was established with the vision of providing an environment where dynamic women and men could alleviate stress and achieve a sense of well-being. At Dorit Baxter's urban oasis, situated in the glamour of Midtown Manhattan, you can choose from a wide variety of original day spa treatments repeatedly acknowledged by the media. Our New York day spa is famous for creating a friendly atmosphere where you can kick off your shoes and float from one treatment room to another, feeling that top-notch therapists are massaging your muscles and the most knowledgeable facialists are taking care of your skin.Dorit Baxter opened her New York day spa in 1980. A skin care expert, Dorit has created a line of pampering facials, invigorating body treatments and an incredible array of fantastic massage offerings as well as day spa standards like manicures, pedicures and waxing. A special indulgence are treatments that employ the natural minerals and oils found in Israel’s most famous body of water, the Dead Sea. The popular Dead Sea Salt Mineral Body Scrub combines mineral-rich salt with aromatherapy oils, which are massaged into the body using long strokes to maximize exfoliation and enhance circulation. Those with epidermis issues like eczema and psoriasis will want to book a mud treatment, which uses healing mud excavated from the Dead Sea. You can also pick up the same jojoba moisturizers, soy serums, papaya toners, and cleansers used in the spa’s treatments for home use.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator, Lockers / storage
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Warm and Cozy”
Reviewed November 9, 2011

I love Dorit Baxter Spa because the atmosphere fits my personality--warm and cozy. Dorit is usually around to greet the clients, so it's kind of like walking into a home. I always get a facial and a massage so that I leave the spa with a fresh-looking face and very relaxed muscles.

Visited October 2011
1 Thank rachel l

Leeds, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Could be better”
Reviewed October 16, 2011

Two stars since a comprehensive history was not taken. I have diabetes and the the skin around one of my toes was cut and began to bleed. It took almost six weeks for it to heal completely. The pedicure itself lasted well. During the facial the therapist was going to remove milia, which involves breaking the skin. When I said I had diabetes she was horrified and admitted to making a mistake in not taking a medical history.
My daughter was not happy with the quality of her facial and on giving feedback was greeted with confrontation. Just prior to this I had seen a similar confrontation with a customer who was returning an unsuitable product.

Visited June 2011
8 Thank Alliekatt547
West Palm Beach, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great price, Even Better Massage!”
Reviewed July 16, 2011

If you are looking for complete luxury then you may want to look at other options. THis place offers the basics but let me say there is nothing basic about the massage. I got a massage from Ester and let me tell you it was one of the best I have ever had. My wife had a mannie and pedi while I was in for the service. We were immediately greeted upon arrival sore from the days travels by foot in the city. This was just what we needed. The price was the best in town and the spa has been around for a very long time. You could tell that they took pride in offering a good price for a great service. There was nothing overly special about the spa itself, nice, clean and small. The best thing about this place is the quality in the massage itself, I felt as though Ester knew my aches and pains and was always on track with each move. The ladies at the front desk were very pleasant and sociable. All in all great value I will be back!

Visited July 2011
3 Thank inthebiz44
Toronto, Ontario
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“good treatment, ugly spa, great price”
Reviewed June 4, 2011

I LIKE THE PRICE BUT NOT THE PLACE
Dingy, small, change rooms are 3 tiny tiny curtained areas like the xray change room I was in recently. They do not have room for the manicure tables and have to move them out of the way when not in use. The manicure tables are old and rusted, and much of the furnishings are old, dingy and not spa like at all. The pedicure seats are extremely uncomfortable, just a very uncomfortable couch. They use basins to soak your feet, and I wonder if they properly disinfect their equipment.
The services were ok, the facial actually smelled unpleasant, and my technicians hands smelled of cabbage.
The treatment room are small, dingy and not spa like at all.
In the end my treatments were ok, if I had paid more I would have been very unhappy, however it was very cheap so that made up for it.
Like bliss wayyyyyyyy better.

Visited June 2011
4 Thank spagirl42
dorit7, Owner at Dorit Baxter New York Day Spa, responded to this review, August 21, 2011
We are concerned that the reviewer has used words like “ugly” to describe our spa in its entirety, and “dingy” with regard to our changing rooms. Were these descriptions accurate, there is no way in which I could have owned a flourishing beauty and wellness business in midtown Manhattan for over 30 years, and opened one of the first day spas in the U.S. at my present location over 20 years ago. Yes, our spa is small and it does get crowded during peak periods because the high quality and reasonable prices of our treatments have resulted in a loyal and continuously expanding client base. The spa’s décor is composed of expertly selected pieces from high-end midtown shops and the changing area, while it can get cramped, is always carefully cleaned.
Dorit Baxter
New York, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing!!”
Reviewed May 6, 2011

The best massages ever!! Very calming and they are very nice! I definitely recommend!!

Visited April 2011