We stayed in the Garden Duplex last week with our two older children (15 and 22). The apartment was beautifully decorated, spacious and comfortable, with all the amenities you could need for a week's stay. Most appreciated of which were: seriously comfortable beds (our youngest tried them all!), air- conditioning, Wi-Fi, two Tvs, I-pod docking station, laptop, coffee-maker, washer, dryer, two hairdryers, plentiful towels. There really isn't anything that the owners haven't thought of and supplied. This is a far superior and cheaper option than staying in a mid-range hotel. For us it was a real 'home away from home' and I would highly recommend it. Laura was especially friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. We felt thoroughly supported during our stay, especially on arrival and departure. The recommended taxi service offered through Mali is exceptional.
The location of the apartment in East Village is ideal. We had easy access to all the main up town and downtown attractions via subway or walking during the day, but then had the East Village and surrounding areas to explore in the evening. Greenwich village/SoHo/Little Italy/ Chinatown are all within easy walking distance. There is a very handy convenience store opposite the apartment and the impressive Whole Foods a 5 minute walk away. If you prefer to eat in, this place offers a great alternative in tasty eats and pre-cooked dinners.
I really can't say anything but a massive thumbs up about EVA. But like anyone else, before we went I read a few of the negative reviews from other contributors. Without disrespect to their comments, I'd like to offer my opinion based on our experience:
1) 'Rehab facility next door'. The blokes that are moving from the centre to the outside space next door probably do look a bit intimidating. If you walk a few more blocks you'll find homeless people begging on the streets, old ladies might ask you for your leftovers, heaven forbid you might even see a fight. But you have to take it all in with the NY experience. This is a major city! If you can't handle this, take your kids to Disneyland. These guys were never threatening or anything but courteous towards us during our stay. I would suggest that they are probably too busy re-building their lives to be bothered hassling tourists.
2) 'Toilet paper'. There is a huge amount supplied by owners on arrival. We didn't exhaust our supply during our week's stay. If we had, I would have thought it perfectly reasonable to just go and buy some ourselves (and not phone the owners to go and buy it for us). At no point were we expected by the owners to replenish what we had used
3) 'Check-out time'. Is at 10 a.m. Seems a bit early. But given it's not a hotel room, but basically a house that has to be got ready for next occupants, it seems fair. Of course luggage storage in meantime to flight is then a bit of a problem. We used Mali (Eva's recommended taxi service to airport) who came and picked up our luggage from the apartment at 10 a.m. She then came and picked us up from the restaurant we had wandered to at 4pm and delivered us to the airport ($10 a bag and $50 dollars for airport fare)
In summary, we had the best family holiday ever in New York! A large part of it due to EVA apartments. Me and my husband have visited previously, independently and together but we both think this is by far the best visit we've had. It was also perfect for our kids first time visit. We will never go to a hotel in NYC again. Thanks EVA xxx
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The East Village Apartments are in a historic 1830's New York brownstone, in the hip East Village, a charming neighborhood in downtown Manhattan. Situated in the center of New York's artistic and intellectual life, it is within walking distance to bustling downtown with its myriad of restaurants, lively bars and great shopping. The four apartments have been exquisitely renovated to blend the comforts of a modern home in a historic atmosphere. The Penthouse sleeps 6-7, the Garden Duplex sleeps 8-9, Apartment Sol sleeps 5-6 and the Terrace Apartment sleeps 4. Together, they can accommodate up to 26 people in the same beautiful apartment house. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Booking.com, Agoda and Odigeo so you can book your East Village Apartments reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- East Village Apartments Hotel New York City