“great location for budget cost”
Review of Leo House

Leo House
Palmerston North, New Zealand
“great location for budget cost”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

My adult daughter and I stayed in a twin beds room with its own bathroom - well-worth the extra $10 for the bathroom. The room was compact, had a air-conditioner, cable TV, desk, and wardrobe with a safe for valuables. In need of redecorating in both rooms although very adequate. The The cleaning staff were always obliging. The free computers and wifi in the lounge were useful. Lots of different restaurants right outside the doors. The subway connections near as well. Great location for best pricing.

3 Thank Taratiripa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Polish first
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed October 2, 2013

It's no exactly a hotel, it's a catholic house. Located in the heart od Chesea very well comunicated. Trains C and E in the corner with 8th avenue. Train 1 one block more in the 7th avenue. Clean, save, quiet, great atmosfhere. Wifi and computes avaible in a rest room in the main floor. Moderns lifts, 8 floors.
The best way to have a cheap stay in Manhattan,

Room Tip: Ask for a room with shower, it's a little more expensive, but it's better.
1 Thank Gustavo1961Argentina
New Westminster, Canada
Reviewed September 26, 2013

That is the perfect way to say it, "Like staying at your Granny's house". Or your own place, b/c tell me, who doesn't have things to fix at home and just have not had the time or money to do them?
WHO CARES if the paint is peeling, tiles missing....the price is UNBELIEVABLE and it is CLEAN!
(And access to computers and FREE internet! - what more could you want??)

There was a slight miscommunication with our original desposit, and they CALLED us to make
sure everything was ok! I believe if there are ever any problems, they will be more then willing to help correct it!!

My mom and I really enjoyed our stay with all its quirks! When we got to our floor, the hallway was dark, and we had to "feel" our way down the hallway and look very closely at the door numbers. Then when we found our door, the light switch is "sideways" so at first, we couldn't get it on, so we were just giggling in the dark and having a grand old time! We discovered the light switch for the hallway by the elevator so we didn't always have to walk in the dark, but it is a great memory now!!

And just for the record, we found the "staff" friendly and helpful and personable!

Room Tip: I wish I could have stayed in every room to enjoy all the personalities of each room! LOL
2 Thank Andrea D
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed September 13, 2013

My wife and I had one night in NYC after a Transatlantic cruise and stayed at The Leo House. My daughter had stayed there and recommended it. It was clean and comfortable, even if a bit rustic. The staff was helpful and friendly. The location is great. It is close to two subway lines, and it is easy to get uptown or downtown from there.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jpatg
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed August 16, 2013

This is a church residence, not a hotel. Kind and crusty staff, clean and shabby rooms. A nun who helps you get oriented to the city. Fabulous neighbourhood, and wonderful, unique NYC experience.
We felt safe, and even cared for - in a church way, not hotel!
Someone described this as being like your granny's house, and that would certainly capture the ambiance.

Room Tip: This is a fantastic value. Clean and safe in a wonderful neighbourhood. Charming in an odd way. Warm...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Joanne R
central n.j.
Reviewed August 1, 2013

This is not the Ritz {I find the Ritz pretentious] but it's a clean friendly place in a great location.Until discovering the Leo my budget hotel was on the upper west side. There is no comparison, the Leo is cleaner,has efficient elevators.,a garden,offers a good breakfast,and is approx 50 less The staff was helpful in offering suggestions on local sites. This part of the City is new to me and I eventually felt quite at home there. .The High Line is just two avenues over. the Rubin Museum is just 6 blocks away and the East Village is within walking distance. I can't understand a reviewer who said that they could get a better hotel for a few dollars more I believe that even the hotel Carter is more than Leo House New York hotel rates change by the month. I can get a certain hotel for 200 in January but in May it may cost 400. The Leo house doesn't change their rates. .

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank arayCentralN_j_
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed one night here because of construction work being done in our apartment. We planned to stay 2, but after one night, we decided to return home. Leo House is a great place if you are looking for a budget place in NYC in a great location, but it's not a particularly comfortable place to stay in. For the money, though, it is good value. Remember, it's called a "Catholic guest house for travelers".

If you go there looking for a comfortable hotel, you will be disappointed. If you're looking for a safe, clean place to sleep, this might work very well.

The building is old, dingy, and the floors haven't been modernized, but the front lobby area is bright and has WiFi (there's none in the rooms). Our room (#317) was small, dark, and on an air shaft. The a/c was good, though slightly noisy (not too bad, really). The double bed was small, but even then, the door to the sink closet couldn't close. The TV with basic cable worked fine. Towels & soap are provided. There are several old-fashioned bathtub/showers in the hall, which though old, were scrubbed clean. I had to get up early for work, so I didn't run into a line of people, but I could imagine there might be a bit of a wait for a shower at some point in the morning.

I think it's a great place for the true budget traveler.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple