“Dont Stay Anywhere Else In Downtown NYC”
Review of Andaz Wall Street

Andaz Wall Street
Ranked #120 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Boston, Massachusetts
“Dont Stay Anywhere Else In Downtown NYC”
Reviewed May 10, 2011

I stayed at the Andaz for the weekend with my family and after my stay I will never stay anywhere else in the downtown area. From the moment we walked in the door to the moment we walked out I really cannot think of one thing that was bad about this hotel.
By far the best part of our stay was the service that was offered throughout our stay. All of the hosts in the lobby are extremely nice and helpful with any of our needs/wants. Our room was not ready at the time we arrived but that was ok because that space in the lobby is breath-taking. We relaxed on the couches while a server brought us some amazing coffee and homemade cookies.
The rooms are elegant and spacious with an amazing bathroom that is perfect for anyone at any age. Even though it was a little tough to sleep one night because of the noise on Water Street, the luscious pillows made up for it.
After a drink at the bar on Saturday night we decided to go up the stairs and eat in the restaurant. We sat right near the open kitchen and loved everything about it. The best part of our night came when we met our server. When you take in the ambiance and after looking at the menu you feel like you are sitting down at a four star restaurant and if you are nothing of a “foodie” like I am some menus and servers can be intimidating when ordering. When I saw this tall man in a shirt and tie come over to our table I wasn’t sure what to think; but just by the way he welcomed us and told us his name was Chris I felt right at home. He helped us pick all of our food and paired everything with some amazing wines for us. After we told Chris this was our first time staying In the Andaz he described the Hotels concept and answered and questions we had with honest and genuine answers. Even when they were really busy he still made time to make sure everything was ok with “our experience” (as he liked to call it) throughout our whole meal.
Hyatt’s brand of Andaz is a homerun! Keep up the excellent work!

Room Tip: Ask for anything and they will deliver!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 9, 2011

I decided to try the Andaz Wall Street for a spur of the moment trip to New York to see a few ballets. I requested early check-in when I booked my room on the hotel website as I would be arriving around noon in time for a 2 pm show. I also called ahead and a very friendly staff member informed me that my request was noted and they would do their best based on room availability when I arrived. When I did arrive earlier than expected a little before noon, not only was a room immediately available, it was an upgrade from what I had booked (Andaz King to Large King - not sure if they meant to do this, either way it was awesome!). The check-in process was really smooth and the host was very friendly and easygoing.
I was floored the second I walked into my room - it was spotless, the decor was sleek and very inviting, and it was ENORMOUS. Whenever I stay at a hotel, two things are very important to me: the bed, and the bathroom. Well, the room was amazing on both counts. It had the coolest hotel bathroom I have ever used by far. The sink and toilet area was separate from the tub and shower, and the toilet was in its own private little room with a door. There was a lot of counter space next to the sink and even a digital bathroom scale. The closet next to the sink area had two plush bathrobes and two pairs of plush slippers. The tub and shower were in an enclosed area across from the sink - the walk-in shower was HUGE with a bench and a rain showerhead directly above (and also a handheld spray), and across from the shower was a LARGE soaking tub. I love taking bubble baths so tubs are always a bonus for me, but not only was it wonderfully spacious, but get this - it had a glass window on one side overlooking the bedroom, with a perfect view of the large, 42" HD TV (which you could swivel to face the tub). So after a 4-hour bus ride down from Boston, it was heaven to sit in a hot bath and watch Juno on TV. It really doesn't get better than that. On a side note, I guess this room setup doesn't work if you are traveling with a friend, unless you are okay with them being able to see you shower.
So while I may be partial now due to my love of cool hotel bathrooms, the rest of the room was great as well. The bed was enormous and comfy with super soft sheets and pillows. There was a clock/sound system that you could dock and charge your iPod on (great for cranking up some music while getting ready!), and a really neat lighting system which took some getting used to (lots of buttons and options), but you can dim/brighten the lights with several different settings (work/relaxation/night light). Another extremely cool feature were the blackout on/off buttons next to the bed - one push lowers/raises the blackout blinds, making my sleep very comfortable indeed. Also, wi-fi is complimentary - a HUGE bonus as most NYC hotels charge for this necessity. The mini-bar is also complimentary with the exception of alcoholic beverages, and it was great to have free bottles of spring water in the room.
While the lobby was pretty busy (some events going on and Mother's Day weekend), it was generally very quiet around my room. All the staff I encountered were very polite and friendly, from the lobby hosts to the housekeeping ladies. The next morning before checkout I had breakfast at the hotel restaurant, Wall and Water. It was a bit pricey for breakfast, but delicious and great quality in terms of taste, presentation, and service. The lobby also has a lounge area with complimentary snacks, coffee, etc (and also snacks for purchase) which I didn't take advantage of this time. The downtown location of the hotel was great for me - quiet and peaceful, but just a train ride away from the craziness uptown.
All in all I was very happy with my stay there and I would come back in a heartbeat. And so ends my love letter to the Andaz Wall Street.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank nms09
jersey shore
Reviewed May 8, 2011

Trenty, classy, understated, quiet and clean. our stay, (mom and two teenage boys) was for one night, saturday into sunday. check-in was swift, hotel clerks waiting at the door to check you in. room was ample size, if not better. bed linens were high quality, bath towels big and thirsty, robe and slippers were plush and felt wonderful after a hot shower. quality of food offered at breakfast buffet (which was included in our AAA rate) was very good, especially the fresh squeezed orange juice, delicious. the common areas are maintained beautifully, you would never know there are hundreds of people moving through this building daily. financial district was pleasantly uncrowded which we liked. bonus: tkts booth three blocks away! after a very full day of discovering the latest and greatest in nyc, we loved retiring to the peacefulness of downtown. we hit it pretty hard so when we're done, we're done. this hotel is everything i've read on trip advisor, and more. whoever is running the show here is doing a fine job. would gladly spend our hard earned money here again, it's worth every dollar.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed May 8, 2011

As all the previous reviews have told about this hotel, it is worthy 100% considering all the tipe of accomodations in New York City (Manhattan). I had a free upgrade, which result in an amazing huge room, really comfortable: big bed, pillows sellection, bathrobe and sleepers, "moving wardrove prism", free mini bar (non alcoholic beverages for free), 40' lcd digital tv, large work area, free wi fi, etc., etc., etc. They offer complimentary tea or coffee in the morning or in the afternoon, as well as wine in the late afternoon.
The location is really convenient, is not the action site in the big apple, but since it is the financial area, there are very good restaurants, and shops too. Not to be missed the South Street Sea Port, just 5 minutes walking from the hotel! Other hotspot is Century 21 Store, really close to the hotel, and with amazing prices!
The hotel restaurant seems to be very good, though kind of expensive (I didn't give it a try), like the room service, that I actually did use, and wasn't superb but good.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Darnok
Toronto
Reviewed May 7, 2011

Stayed there for 3 nights last month and will never contemplate staying elsewhere again in New York. Everything was top notch, from the super-friendly staff to the impeccable room. Location is great - quiet in the evening but busy during the day, and a short walk to the nearest subway station. Highly recommended!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank marctor
Northampton
Reviewed May 5, 2011

This may be a long one! So much to say!

We stayed at The Andaz after reading all the positive comments on Trip Advisor. You'll have read about the fabulous rooms, ours was no different, my husband has stayed in many 'amazing' hotels on business trips all over and this was by far the best he has ever had the pleasure of staying in.

We arrived earlier than check in time and our room wasn't ready. We were welcomed and booked in and our luggage collected from our taxi. Immediately we were offered refreshments which we took gratefully after our long journey from the UK. The informal relaxed check in was a breath of fresh air, especially as there were loads of comfy sofa's to sink into on arrival.

We were told that our room would be ready in an hour so we took a short stroll down to the harbour and took the Statten Island Ferryround Liberty and our room was ready on our return.

We had a Double King which we shared with our 10 and 8 year old girls, huge room, huge TV, very modern and tasteful, gorgeous bathroom and very comfy beds. We loved the remote control which seemed to work everything in the room from the lights, to the ipod dock to the blackout blinds. Free snacks and softdrinks in mini bar etc. If I had to find one fault (and I laughed at this on reviews I read before we went), was how dim the rooms were, there really was not enough light for putting on make up!

We had a look at the spa etc but didn't take advantage as were only there for 3 days, it did all look pretty good. We arrived on the Saturday and ate at South Seaport at Pacific Grill which was lovely, then due to jet lag we were awake very early on the Sunday morning, we took a stroll to see if there were any diners open as it was our girls first trip to the US they wanted to try a real New York Diner, but it was so early, everything was closed, so we went up to the restaurant and had breakfast in there which was fantastic with wonderful service, the staff were so friendly.

On the Sunday we ate at a great Sushi restaurant called Haroo, which was round the corner and that night the hotel sent up a chocolate pudding with Happy Birthday in chocolate writing as it was my birthday the following day which I thought was a nice touch.

Del Monicos was where we ate on my birthday as recommended on Trip Advisor, it was wonderful however we went into the main dining room, which to be honest wasn't too family orientated, not a lot on the menu my kids would eat, too rich and for us too expensive. The bottled water was $8, house wine about $90, main courses without sides about $40-$50 with lots of wine averaging at $500 a bottle, right up to $1200 (I expect for those traders who have a good day and want to splash their cash), so we went to leave then were offered the bar menu and to eat in the bar if we wished (we felt a touch underdressed), we went for it and had a great meal, highly recommend!

We didn't experience the free wine, you're not invited or even really told about it, but we were coming in each evening as people were sitting drinking their wine. We had read about it before but as it would be a bit boring for the girls we visited a lovely wine merchant round the corner and took a bottle to our room.

Wall Street was amazingly quiet on the weekend and as you can probably imagine, complete contrast on the Monday, sooooo busy but as we wanted the best of both worlds, the hustle and bustle of New York but a restful place to stay, the Andaz could not have been more perfect!

The coffee and muffins were a lovely touch, especially with everywhere else in NY being so pricey, the atmosphere relaxed and the general feel of the place very welcoming and homely despite being modern. Another really noticable thing was that the staff seemed to be genuinely helpful and attentive but not in a way that they were only doing it for tips, they were all efficient and courteous.

I would never contemplate staying anywhere else in New York now, whether you are with kids or on a romantic weekend, the Andaz has got to be the hotel of choice!!!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank princesslily73
Toronto
Reviewed May 2, 2011

It is as everyone has stated before; huge clean rooms, comfy bed, rain shower, modern decor and very helpful staff. The rooms had button contolled lighting, blinds and temperature control. They had a nice geneva stereo (ipod). The designing of the closet space was amazing, a pull out shoe shelf, a pull out full mirror, loads of drawer and hanger space. The mini fridge with free cold drinks was a fantastic convenience. There was also a safe, which is useful for travellers. The staff were very friendly and helpful with room concerns as well as directions and sightseeing information. The 'no front desk ' idea is neat, so you interact with the staff in a more informal, friendly manner. They carry around mini laptops and phones. My only complaint was the room was too hot despite turning down the temp. as far as it would go. The location was great for walking to the ferries and also the South Seaport for shopping and restaurants. Some of the subway lines were closed, but it was a nice walk to the Broolkyn bridge station. There is a drug mart across the street which is also convenient. The lobby has laptops for use, and the coffee bar is open all day with free wine from 6-8, nice gesture!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple