“great location, even better price”

Comfort Inn Times Square West
Ranked #275 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed February 23, 2012

great location, one block from times square, clean rooms, really liked the free hot breakfast, only thing we would have liked, is to have a microwave in the room, had a frig. but no microwave, parking available right across the street, with a discount parking coupon for those staying at the hotel. was a little noisy from street traffic but we were on the second floor, was probably better the higher up you get.

Room Tip: try and get a room on an upper floor as the street is busy and noisy
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,028)

Reviewed February 21, 2012

I couldn't agree more with everything the previous reviewer (clinth) has put about this hotel.

I wanted to give it 4.5 stars but unfortunately can't do that! My only reasons for not giving it the full 5 are minor, the lift is rather slow and the breakfast area got extremely busy at peak times and so there was a shortage of places to sit, but, if necessary, you can either walk the stairs or just wait a few minutes for seat, so both of those minor niggles are easily rectified.

Back to my review! We had room 310 on the third floor, we overlooked the back of the hotel and over to W45th Street, it was very quiet, even when, one night we had the window open slightly. Our room had two good size double beds, a fridge, coffee maker, flat screen tv and there was room enough for me and my daughter and our bags and all our New York purchases! There was a small wardrobe and a bedside table between the beds. It was a warm room with a heater if necessary and the beds were really comfy.

It was a bit of a tight fit to get into the bathroom but that was no big deal. The bathroom was clean with plenty of towels, plenty of hot water and free toiletries. For the price it was excellent.

The hotel location was brilliant, the subway entrance to Port Authority subway station was just at the end of the block (about 3 minutes walk) to the left as you come out of the Hotel and a further 5 minutes took you to the centre of Times Square. There were plenty of places to eat nearby, turning right out of the hotel took you to many diners, restaurants and an excellent deli where we got very late lunch one day that we ate in our room.

Breakfast at the Comfort Inn was very good, yes, you did have plastic plates and cutlery but it was free and there was lots of it! The waffles were great, toasters for bread and bagels, and various muffins and pastries along with fruit and juices and coffee etc. Having a free breakfast really saves on time as well as money and it meant that lunch could be a snack as it set you up for the day.

Reception staff were helpful and for the price and location it really can't be beaten. I would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 310 had two double beds and was very quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I always do plenty of research before choosing a hotel. In all my other reviews I like to share as much of the good and bad as I can, so that you can all have a fair opinion of whether you should part with your hard earned cash!

Finding this hotel was dead easy; we got a bus from Newark airport which took us to the Port Authority bus terminal which was less than 5 mins walk to the hotel. It’s on the opposite side of the street to the Intercontinental Hotel; you can see it as it has a blue light shining onto the front of the building.
Check in was very quick and friendly. They even gave us both a chocolate chip biscuit when we arrived! Our room was 501 - when I booked I emailed for a higher floor as had read in reviews that it could be noisy at nights or mornings.

Room:
Clean and a decent size considering the location. We had a double bed, bathroom with good shower, flat screen TV and table. There was a room safe under the table on the ground which you could use easily. The bed was very comfortable and there were 4 small pillows on the bed.

Breakfast:
Free breakfast was available every day which was a nice touch. They had a waffle maker which was easy to use once shown! They had chocolate and plain waffles, fruit and pastries. They also had bagels, toast and juices/hot chocolate, coffee and tea. The sausages and eggs were a little dodgy, I think they were fake eggs and the bacon and sausages seemed a little strange tasting… but this is a minor issue as the waffles were brilliant and the bagels and juice were more than enough to fill me up for long days of sightseeing!

Location:
The location was brilliant. There was a subway station on our street and you were able to be in the middle of Times Square in 5 mins easily. The bus terminal was close if you wanted to go to Jersey Gardens to shop or get airport connections. Every tourist spot was within walking distance as well.
This was a major selling point in us choosing this hotel which was helped by everything else being really good.

Other things:
There is free internet and printing at the front by reception as well and stands with loads of free information and maps for you to take to help you get around the city. The location is in a safe area, and not once did we feel in danger or worried at any time of the day.
The breakfast gets a little busy after 730am, but it goes until 10:30am on weekends and 9:30 on weekdays.
There was noise late nights and early mornings outside the hotel. But the hotel cannot control this and I hardly noticed it. But remember, it is a busy city! We didn't hear cars at night though.

Check out was quick and easy, and they can hold onto your luggage for you until you need it. Check out is at 11am.

Would I go back? Absolutely! This hotel is a wee gem in a fantastic city. It ticks all the boxes and cannot be beaten in terms of location. It’s neither fancy nor 5 star – but it doesn’t need to be. I’ve stayed in hotels all over Europe and across the world and this is exactly what a hotel should be in such a touristy city.

Room Tip: Email them for a higher up room
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank TheTravellingClint
Reviewed February 17, 2012

Just got back from a 3 night stay at this comfort inn...Arrived early and was able to check in, room was clean, staff was friendly, breakfast was good (and such a nice bonus!), great location, and they kept our bags for us for a few hours after check out..Will definitely stay there again!

Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 11, 2012

I chose this hotel based on reviews on here and Expedia (booked with them on flight and hotel deal). Ideally situated to explore the city. 5 minute walks to Broadway/Times Sq, 15 minutes walk to Madison Square Garden, 20 minutes to Central Park.

Hotel itself was clean and tidy, rooms were cleaned daily, but on a couple of occasions not til later, 4.30pm ish. Breakfast was good, plenty of choice. Always eggs, alternated with Sausages or bacon. So sausage or bacon sarnie for me every day. 24 hour tea or coffee. Endless supply of tea was fine by me. Late at night there was not enough hot water so i took cup and tea bag etc to room and ran the water through the coffee maker to heat it up.

I had a standard Queen room and it was more than big enough for just me, i can see 2 people being fine in one of those rooms, besides, you're not going to be there much!!
I was on the 6th floor overlooking 44th and there was some traffic noise at night, but not enough cause any problems.

All in all a perfectly situated hotel for exploring the city by day and a Braodway show by night. Would i stay there again and recommend it to people. Definately.

Room Tip: For food, Shake Shack on corner of 8th ave and 44th for the best burgers i've ever had. Irish R...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 1, 2012

Just back from a 3 night stay in this hotel and for the first time ever I thought I should post a review. It was really a good price and off course you are always worried about the quality until you get there. As I was on a hen weekend (Bachalorette) and I travelled with a party of 8 ladies you would expect that someone would complain. However, even though the hotel might need a bit of updating the bedrooms were super clean and we all agreed that it was exactly what we needed. The location was fantastic. Right beside the subway and a short walk through Theartre District to Times Square. It also was a nice walk to the Empire State Building and 5th Ave!! Breakfast was inculded in our stay and it was nice. Being Irish it was great to see a hotel that had tea complimentry all day (and night)!!!!

The down side to my stay was nothing to do with the hotel. I had my bag stolen with my purse (containing cards), phone etc. The hotel were so helpful and even though my card was the pre-authorised card for all the rooms that told me not to worry and that our stay would not be affected. When we checked out they kept our bags at no cost.

In conclusion, if you looking for a not too expensive hotel in a great NYC location then this is your spot.

xoxo

Room Tip: Ask for room along corridor not corner.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 31, 2012

Recently stayed at this hotel for 3 nights; had a very good stay and would recommend to my friends and will stay here again. Easy to get to from JFK - direct subway from Jamaica (Air Train) or one transfer if using Long Island Railroad - subway entrance at the end of the block. Close to TImes Square but away from the main crowds; as a lone woman traveller I felt perfectly safe walking back to the hotel on my own after seeing an evening show near by. Room rate was very good for the central location; room itself was not large - but I didn't come to New York to spend time in my room - but it was clean with towels changed and beds made daily. Free wi-fi really helped me plan my trips without eating into my mobile phone allowance. Breakfast basic but filling and more importantly included in the price.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo