“Christmas dinner disappointing”

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
Cross street: Park and Lexington
Transit: Subway: 4,5,6,N,R trains to 59th and Lexington. F train to 63rd and Lexington.
Description: David Burke Townhouse is the masterpiece of Award-winning Executive Chef David Burke, whose reputation for wildly creative takes on American ingredients is unsurpassed. Since 2003, David Burke has been serving provocative Modern American Cuisine in an elegantly refurbished Upper East Side space. The restaurant's design is inspired by the bold colors and lacquered surfaces on the 1930's, yet it has decidedly contemporary aesthetic. Upon entering David Burke Townhouse, guests will feel the glamour and sense of fun in the lounge with its sleek white gloss, stone bar and whimsical art installations. The volume of color and drama is turned up for the main event, the dining room, where a striking color palette of chocolate, vanilla and lipstick colors prevails.
South Bend, Washington
“Christmas dinner disappointing”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We have been to David Burke Townhouse previously and had wonderful food. Christmas was a disappointment for both of us. Boht of us and a neighboring diner experienced a ribeye that was very tough and quite charred. The trifle was dry and totally uninteresting. The foie gras torchon was excellent. Not a good experience.

New York City, New York
“Mediocre”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

If your going to bother to do a $29 prix fixe lunch, keep it simple, concentrate on quality of food. The lobster bisque was mediocre and served out of an unappealing glass coffee maker. The burger was a towering construction all about show. The meat lacked taste. The fries were the only good thing. truly delicious. For dessert : espresso and caramel ice creams. How can you mess up with those strong flavors! They did. Don't know where the espresso and caramel went, the ice cream tasted only of sugar. No wonder I haven't been in the place since it opened years ago.

New York City, New York
“Nice, but what's all the fuss about?”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I am familiar with David Burke's great reputation, I have heard raves about his food, and I was really looking forward to trying it. My friends and I went to Townhouse for Sunday brunch. We got there a few minutes early for our reservation, and the staff were very courteous. The place itself is gorgeous, and was beautifully decorated for the holidays. Space is very tight in there (too many tables crammed in, so you are squashed together and cannot even get up without bothering those at the next table). There are of course some very unusual creations on the menu, and I was prepared to be very impressed. My first course was the cheese souffle' with sherry cream sauce. It was expertly prepared, but the sauce was bland. Next I had the quiche of the day, which I must say was really delicious, but not fantastic. Oh well, the coffee was good.
My three companions said their food was "just OK". I think our expectations far outweighed the actual experience.
The prices are really high for what you get. Sorry, but I was a bit disappointed, and probably won't go back.

Cream Ridge, New Jersey
“beautiful brunch”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

My family and I did the brunch. The place is beautiful, wasn't too crowded when we went. My son had the titanic french toast which looked like chocolate cake, was a different presentation and was really good. Three of us had the eggs benedict. The muffin was a crunchy, and was slightly hard to cut with the butter knife, but tasted great. Service was great, atmosphere was holiday themed. Not the cheapest brunch, for the five of us was $210, but the food definitely worth it.

• Visited November 2012
LA
“Great thanksgiving feast”
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Pricey but worth the sumptuous fixed price 3-course Thanksgiving feast! Food here is not merely tasty, it is impeccably presented yet served without pretense. The tuna and salmon tartare appetizer, pretzel crusted crab cakes and mushroom truffle risotto were all delicious. I particularly enjoyed the roasted turkey with gravy, stuffing and cranberries. The short ribs and pasta entree was a rich alternative; the pasta was a bit too soft for my taste. The desserts were uniformly delicious--baked apple pie, cheese cake pops, pumpkin pie with meringue. If I ever have the opportunity to be in a NY restaurant again for Thanksgiving, I cannot imagine a better place to eat than here. My only criticism would be that the tables were a little too close to each other than ideal.

• Visited November 2012