“A very relaxing sail”

Manhattan By Sail - Clipper City Tall Ship
More attraction details
Owner description: Manhattan by Sail has a diverse little fleet of ships that sail the NY Harbor daily and a corresponding myriad of options for any and all who want to experience the thrill of sailing in the world’s greatest harbor. Our newest addition is the Clipper City, a 158-ft. tall ship that can accommodate up to 150 passengers. A more intimate experience can be had on the Shearwater, a historic schooner with capacity up to 48 passengers.
Reviewed July 16, 2012

We booked a sunset sail for a family of four and really enjoyed it. After a hectic day sightseeing and shopping this was a perfect tonic. We boarded the Shearwater which I think is the smaller boat but there seemed to be room for all. We basically picked a spot and laid down and relaxed. New York is beautiful at night and we really appreciated that the captain did not play any music so we could relax and soak in the sights and sounds of Manhattan at night. Unlike some other "sailing tours" we have been on they actually put up the sails and shut off the motor which was great. Definitely would recommend .

All reviews
in 35 reviews
"sights"
in 33 reviews

Reviewed July 8, 2012

We did the large ship City Clipper Twilight cruise for my Birthday on June 29th. Tickets were purchased from a booth opposite the Unos restaurant at South St Seaport entrance. The ship sails from the very end of South St Seaport at around 7.15pm. After the heat of the day (which had been quite oppressive) it was lovely to be outside on the water as the sun set.

I found the crew to be fun, engaging and knowledgable - ready and willing to answer any questions or to just join in the general sprit and fun during our time on the water...You can help them put the sails up if you are feeling energetic - but be warned, they're very heavy (the sails not the crew)

We left SSSP and headed out towards the SofL past Govenor's Island and Ellis Island. The sun was setting so the photo opportunities were wonderful. There was definitely a "Friday Night" feeling and everyone on board seemed to be up for the fun - quite a few New Yorkers were mingling with Europeans and other Americans from various States - it made for a really informal atmosphere. There is a bar too so it was lovely to be able to have a drink whilst feeling the slight breeze cooling your face and talking to fellow passengers.

If I remember correctly the cost was $49 per adult which I though was great for the two and half hours we were onboard. I'd definitely do it again - it was just so lovely and peaceful and a great way to end my Birthday in NYC

1  Thank dogsareforlife
Reviewed July 6, 2012

There is no better way, in my view to see Manhattan, but from the beautiful sailboat "Shearwater"
A truly classic boat, relatively small group of guests, provides spectacular views on Manhattan.
We joined the "July 4th fireworks dinner cruise", an it was truly memorable.
The boat is in impeccable condition, the crew extremely nice, the captain great.
The pricetag was steep, but service of snacks, salads, main course dishes, desert and all inclusive drinks plus the experience of actually sailing on the Hudson on a beautiful boat made it worthwhile.
The captain was extremely skillful in positioning us for the best possible viewing of the fireworks.
The only drawback was the return to the marina. For some weird reason our slip was occupied by the NYPD for processing some drunk boaters
Already very late to return, we had to sit idle by the marina and could only disembark after a felt hour or so, after a long five hour cruise.
On ordinary days, the sightseeing tips offered by Manhattan by sail are highly recommended for people who do not wish to be in large crowds on utilitarian mass tourism boats to see the sights of the city from the water.

1  Thank Hongkon
Reviewed June 15, 2012

I went on the sunset cruise aboard the Shearwater with my honey. It was a gorgeous night with a beautiful sunset. We had an open bar option and I sipped Proseco while gently sailing around the city. The views were unparalleled and to look up at the sails with the city lighting up in the background is a site I will NEVER forget. We sailed right up to the statue of liberty as the sun was shinning its deepest red colors. I can go on an on about how amazing this sail was

The captain and crew were awesome, laid back and professional I felt completely safe in their hands. I made friends with all the people on the boat and even shared a little cheese plate with some new friends!

I was born and raised in the city and have always wanted to sail in the famous waters, this was a dream come true and I hope to spend my entire summer with Manhattan by Sail.

1  Thank chloebadawy
See more reviews
Reviewed June 3, 2012

I went on the Clipper City Tall Ship Cruise because it was in the New York Pass book. I phoned ahead to book my place. The day of my booking it rained really hard and they cancelled the sailing, but phoned me to let me know and rearranged my booking for another day. I did the 4:30pm sail and it was magical - loved every minute of it. You are free to walk about the deck and even help them raise the sails if you have a bit of energy to spare. The saild takes you past the Statue of Liberty and there is plenty of opportunity of photos of both NYC skyline and the Statue (you will need a zoom for the Statue photos). I would do this again, even without the pass. Do it! It's great.