“Nice relaxing way to end the day”

Manhattan By Sail - Clipper City Tall Ship
$50.00*
and up
New York City Twilight Sail
More attraction details
Owner description: Manhattan by Sail has a diverse little fleet of ships that sail the NY Harbor daily and a corresponding myriad of options for any and all who want to experience the thrill of sailing in the world’s greatest harbor. Our newest addition is the Clipper City, a 158-ft. tall ship that can accommodate up to 150 passengers. A more intimate experience can be had on the Shearwater, a historic schooner with capacity up to 48 passengers.
Reviewed August 12, 2011

We arrived in New York during a heatwave, apparently the temperature was the highest recorded since 1936 on our first full day there. New York is full on and in your face, in that kind of weather (very hot and humid) being a tourist is hard work.
Thankfully we had pre-booked to go on the Clipper City as our final activity on day one of our trip and what a good idea that turned out to be. We had read some of the reviews on here before booking so we knew what to expect. we were out on the water for just under 2 hours, sailed out to Liberty Island and back and got great views of Manhattan, the Statue, the Staten Island ferries, lots of helicopter traffic and the Brooklyn Bridge.
The lack of commentary was a nice touch as we were able to just chill out for a while and enjoy the views. The crew were very friendly and more than happy to chat and they earned their tip at the end of the day. They did ask for help to raise the sails at the start of the cruise, though I think this is more intended as a bit of fun for kids rather than a genuine need for assistance, but it was good to see the crew trying to get the kids feel involved.
If you're looking for a way to relax for a while and take a break from the pace of life in New York you could do a lot worse than take a trip with these guys.
The only reason they don't get a 5 star rating is because we booked in advance and told them we would be using one our New York passes, they didn't tell us that we would have to go to their kiosk near the front of pier 17 to get the cards swiped before we boarded the boat and so there was a bit of messing around at the end to get that sorted out.

3  Thank traveller_72

Reviewed August 7, 2011

We took this yesterday. It was me, my husband and my three kids ages 10, 8 and 5.
We are from Long Island and like to do a full day city tourist day each summer. This year we added this to the list after I saw it as an option on our explorer pass. We did the 2:15 sail from the sotuh street seaport around governor's island, past the statue of liberty and near the southern tip of manhattan.
IF you are looking for info packed tour, this is not it. THIS is a relaxing scenice tour. There is a bar, with four beers on tap, wine and mixed drinks as well as soadas and juices for the kids. the people on this boat are all super-nice. I had to tip after because they really did make it great. A surly crew would have detracted. They let the kidw come up and "steer" the boat. My kids LOVED this. And when they host the sails they ask for help pulling the ropes.....great fun!
Tip: there are no assigend seats and few seats at that....it's sit where you can, on boxes and places all over the boat...not luxury but realy sailing fun! Don't worry about getting to the line too early, if you get a ticket to a particular cruise you are getting on the boat...everyone moves around throughout the trip so don't worry about your seats. My kids loved this aspect, no need to sit still.
You can bring whatever food/drink on that you would like. They may balk at a cooler (not sure, nobody brought one) but we had a backpack and soft sided cooler with us with water and fruit....no worries.
They play soft easy music and my husband and I wished it would not end. This is a relaxing hour and a half with a great view of Manhattan by sea!
(we have done the circle line as well, and I WOULD recommend this too....it is very different, but also fun...more information, less relaxing)

3  Thank sandyplayercarroll
Reviewed July 27, 2011

We took at twilight sail after dark. It was a wonderful, relaxing way to end our day of sightseeing. The staff were great and we had a super time.

1  Thank go-kiwi-3805
Reviewed July 24, 2011

To everyone who really wants to enjoy 90 min of amazing sail along the Hudson River, take beautiful pictures of Manhattan skyline, Statue of Liberty and have the best way to avoid the summer city heat - this is an absolute must!
We took the 90 minute sail on the "The Shearwater"- a schooner fully restored from 1920’s era which accommodates about 45 people. The crew is very friendly and willing to help if needed. The ticket comes with a free drink and you can purchase more if you wish during the trip. I read about the Sunday brunch they also offer, so I am planning to try it next time. The great thing about it - it is entertaining for any age and gives you opportunity to enjoy 1,5 h in a unique way.
I highly recommend it and I am looking to do it again early in the fall.

2  Thank Polina67
Reviewed May 16, 2011

We took the 90 minute statue sail on the "Clipper City". I highly recommend this tour. The ship was great, the crew so friendly and accomodating. Wonderful views of the city, sailing so close to the Statue of Liberty was breathtaking.

I had 3 kids ages 3 to 14 and everyone was interested. The crew invites anyone who want to to help hoist the sails...a highlight of the 3 years old day!!

2  Thank MBK1