“Perfect location boutique hotel!”
Review of The MAve Hotel

The MAve Hotel
Ranked #390 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed December 9, 2013

My husband and I just got back from our trip where we had a double (full size bed) room. The room was very small but worked just fine for the amount of time we spent in it.This hotel is exactly what is as advertised, a boutique hotel. We were on the 8th floor so we didn't really hear much traffic or noise at night. It helps if you keep your fan on all night too. The location was great. You are in walking distance of a lot of must see attractions. We actually did mostly all walking, even to central park which is a little less than 2 miles away. Essen across the street was good market/quick food stop. They had a lot to offer. Sara Beth's is a great breakfast place a block away too. The negatives would have to be no shower curtain/door so water escapes out pretty easily and one of the elevators was broken during our visit which led to waiting for a while. Also, they are doing some renovations so they didn't have a restroom in the lobby for guests. However, you could go across the street to Essen. I think we would definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 4, 2013

Had a really bad experience where items went missing from my car after I valeted it at this hotel so beware. The best part of the hotel experience at the MAve is the location in mid-town. Rooms are very small and bathroom is tiny but the beds are comfortable.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Dickie1734
Reviewed December 1, 2013

A modern, small hotel that is ideally situated for most of the popular attractions. Within easy walking distance of the Empire State Building, Macy's and Times Square. The reception staff go beyond service expectation by constantly offering recommendations, directions and maps. The rooms are adequate but importantly with clean linen and plenty of hot water. The continental style breakfast of fresh pastries, fresh coffee/tea is sufficient for those with a light appetite. We were made to feel at home here and the staff could not do enough to help us make the most out of our first visit to their city.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lynn B
Reviewed November 30, 2013

This was our second time to stay at the MAve. I had emailed them earlier in the year to inquire about Thanksgiving. Nick emailed me back and we booked our stay. Prior to our arrival, Nick assisted us with dinner reservations. It is so nice to have your reservations for dinner set up prior to arriving. The recommendations are appreciated. We arrived on Wednesday, the evening before Thanksgiving. We were promptly upgraded and we loved our room! It was comfortable, warm, and inviting. A hand-written note and a bottle of wine was left for us, which I really appreciated. The note was to welcome us back! The staff as a whole is friendly and informative. The subway is one block away and the hotel is two subway stops from Times Square. There is also a taxi stand across the street. The MAve serves coffee and pastries in the morning, which are fresh and delicious. We absolutely won't stay anywhere else!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JaneCScottsvilleNY
Reviewed November 27, 2013

NYC has become my favourite destination as both a tourist & for a pre-Xmas season de-stress and the bars/restaurants in the Murray Hill area are my evening hangouts. I usually stay at another Hotel but (fortunately) it wasn't available so initially The MAve was just a convenient alternative.
Greeted in a genuinely friendly manner, check-in took a matter of moments and I was on my way up to my room (Urban Full - the most basic available);
not large but with a queen size bed, large flatscreen TV with more channels than I expected, a desk and a Bathroom.
The Bathroom, standard fare but special mention for the walk-in shower with a shower head that didn't require you to get wet bit-by-bit, that worked at a good pressure and had hot water available at whatever time I required it.
The staff were always smiling, well-presented and seemed prepared to go that extra step to make your visit more enjoyable.
Location-wise it is situated within a stones-throw of the Flatiron Building & a 10 minute walk from the ESB but far enough off the 'tourist trail' to be relatively quiet. A wide & varied selection of Bars (Whiskey Rebel is my 'local'), Restaurants & Eateries are just a short walk away as is access to the Metro at 28th St. (both 4,5,6 & N,Q,R lines).
I can say, in all honesty, that The MAve is now my 'first choice' Hotel for my visits to this wonderful City.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank dbfdave
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We tormented ourselves with which hotel to get for NYC, didn't want insanely expensive nor did we want a creepy roach infested closet. Groupon just so happened to have a sale for this hotel and after looking at reviews we finally decided to take the plunge.

After taking an all night flight and arriving at the hotel at 7am, well before check in time, we had asked previously if they could hold our luggage, which they said they would for free. When we arrived they didn't agree to hold our luggage, but instead let us check in to our room EARLY! What a bonus!

Being used to bigger hotel rooms this definitely was a shock, very tiny rooms but this is NY afterall, so that is to be expected. But for what little we had, it was clean and modern looking... The beds were comfortable after a long day and night in the city that never sleeps. Unlike a lot of the comments here, I didn't have a problem at all with the noise.

It was also a really decent location, you expect to walk in NY and I felt this was a great spot for the places we wanted to visit.

Would stay here again!

Room Tip: Sounds like we lucked out by getting a room on a higher floor because the complaints say the lower y...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wayofthefuture
Reviewed November 14, 2013

..for what you paid. What is best about The MAve is the location, on 27th and Madison, close to Penn Station and to Grand Central. It is more a residence with hotel services rather than a hotel itself. We booked two single rooms. Rooms are very tiny, very very tiny, and so is the bathroom. The A/C – Heating unit is noisy, and wind gets into the room through the device... and whether your room is located on the 3rd or 7th floor, the noise coming from the street will wake you up early morning and keep you company during the night. Beds are comfortable. We might have gotten high rates due to the fact the hotel was almost fully booked, but since this is a review on what I got for what I paid, it was not worth at all the expense. Free Wi-Fi but so slow that made impossible not only to work, but even to surf the internet. It usually took 30 seconds to load every HTML page. I wish I could have paid for a quicker connection, but that was not possible either. I complained about the internet speed, and receiption said they would have looked into it. Nothing changed all over the week we have stayed. On checking out, I once again complained about internet speed and again they said they would have checked it. There is no valet service. They do not have anyone who could help you with the bags and take them in your room. I had to help an elderly guest, because reception would have helped just for the four steps before the elevators. There is no business centre. Laundry is not delivered to your room, you should pick it up from reception. There are not even toilets in the lobby. I asked that the cordless phone in my room be fixed – it was not working – and nothing happend. At the end of the week the phone was still not working.
The pictures on the website are very well taken and tell a story which is different from reality. I should frankly admit I have been mistaken by the pictures. I would stay here again only if the room rates were at least half of what we paid. Oh, breakfast is still almost non-existing.

Room Tip: Try getting a floor as high as possible.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business