“I adore this hotel ... Great location, friendly & helpful staff, beautiful, cozy, modern, comfy rooms.”
Review of The MAve Hotel

The MAve Hotel
Ranked #389 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed March 6, 2013

We stayed here for the first time after Hurricane Sandy while repairs were being done on our apartment in Brooklyn & we had a very pleasant experience so when we needed to stay in Manhattan for a few days we of course chose The MAve! We got an even better rate plus it's a pet friendly hotel so our precious chihuahua Squeak can join us & she's made to feel comfortable as well! The staff is always so friendly & helpful. Whatever we needed no matter what time of the day or night & they are right on point! The rooms & bathrooms are so comfy & modern. Really a beautiful hotel. I would stay there again & again!

• Stayed: February 2013
Jason M, General Manager at The MAve Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Thank you so much for the wonderful feedback. We are so glad you enjoyed your time with us. We hope your apartment is back to normal and look forward to seeing you again sometime.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is my second stay at the MAve hotel.

What I liked in this hotel ..
* The staff was very friendly.
* Room was comfy.
* Very good sleep quality.
* The location of this hotel is excellent and so much close to some important attractions in the city; such as the Empire State, Macy's and the Madison Square Park.

What I DIDN'T like in the hotel ..
* I had to wait 5 - 10 minutes to get a hot water in my room 902.
* Wi-Fi signal was weak.
* AC/heater unit was noisy.
* TV channels were getting blank all the time.
* No swimming pool.
* No directions in the 12th floor to the breakfast room.

Room Tip: Choose room # 4 or 5 in a high floor (9, 10, 11).
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Ahmad A
Jason M, General Manager at The MAve Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Good Morning,

Thank you so much for taking time to provide your feedback. We welcome all comments so we know what we are doing well and identify areas needing improvement. Thank you for recognizing our friendly staff and comfortable bedding. I am surprised to hear of the weak Wi-Fi signal; it is typically very strong. We will investigate to see how it can be improved. With regards to the A/C and television, these sound like isolated incidents that can easily be repaired. Thanks for bringing them to our attention. As our Guest Lounge on the 12th floor was just recently opened, we are not quite finished with the final touches. Signage is currently being designed and will be installed shortly.

We appreciate your honesty and look forward to seeing you again during your next trip to Manhattan.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Came here for a couple of nights for a brief NYC trip. After staying a few doors up at the Carlton, which was about double the price, I wasn't expecting too much. But the place was fantastic!! Great rooms, perfect location and, given NYC prices, such great value! When I arrived the staff didn't seen to have a record of my booking (from a budget Internet site) but were so lovely in following it up, even making sure I was given an upgraded room. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2012

Good Morning,

Thank you for taking time to provide your feedback. I am sorry to hear of the mishap with your reservation; however, I am glad our team was able to accommodate you. Thanks again for the wonderful review! We certainly hope to see you again during your next trip.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

We are frequent visitors to New York and have stayed at a lot of different hotels all over Manhattan, but this was one of the best. The location is fantastic. We walked everywhere or took the subway, which was very close by. Madison Square Park (and the famous Shake Shack), is just a couple of blocks from the hotel. The small boutique hotel feel is enhanced by the very personable and friendly staff. I loved the list of recommended restaurants they gave us when we checked in at the front desk. Our room was spacious, perfectly appointed, and ultra clean. The king sized bed was so comfortable. I wanted to take all the pillows home with me. The bathroom was huge by NY standards. The walk-in shower could have easily fit four or five people! The bath products were luxurious and eco-friendly, and the plush robes were an added bonus. I really felt like we were living in our own apartment for two days. We will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: I always ask for the highest floor available. Better chance for great views and less noise.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bibliochick1

Thank you so much for the glowing review. We are so glad you enjoyed your time with us and hope you had a safe drive back to Rhode Island. Thanks for choosing the MAve; we hope to see you again during your next trip to NYC.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

What a fantastic place. Everyone should stay here!

Stylish, quiet, great location and wonderful staff!

We had a wonderful stay here and won't be going anywhere else on our future trips to NYC.

Felcia, the reception, was a delight to be around. All other staff we met were fantastic as well.

Thanks so much for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kate L
Jason M, General Manager at The MAve Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Hi Kate,

Thank you for the glowing review! I will share your comments with Felicia...she will be so excited! We hope to see you soon; thanks again for all the amazing comments.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

I'm still not quite certain how to say the name is it Mave or M Ave but however you say it the hotel is a pretty decent stay and value in NYC. On the night I stayed there the elevator was out so that was a little annoying but no reason I would tell anyone not to stay. The rooms are clean, but also pretty tiny, I would say smaller than the average boutique and the bathrooms are pretty small as well. The bed was comfortable and provided for a good night of sleep. The location is excellent walkable to 34th area/Penn Station and other areas. The other nice thing about this hotel is they had a complimentary continental breakfast in the morning which was a nice treat as we left. I think they were also doing construction on a space next door for a restaurant so they may be full service now. Service by the front desk was good as well, overall a solid stay and value for NY. I wouldn't make a long stay here but definitely overnight or a few days.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tasha N

Thank you for taking time to share your experience at The MAve. Our smallest room category is quite cozy; however, we do offer several larger room types if our guests are interested in additional space. We would be happy to offer a complimentary upgrade during your next stay so you can experience our more spacious accommodations.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I had to switch this hotel I had booked for 5 days in the middle of my trip to nyc. I had booked a king room. When I checked in, the noisy, old AC in the room was blowing cold air, so they sent someone up. Then it started blowing hot air. Then cold. Then hot. When I asked if all rooms had the same AC the man said "yes, if it gets too windy just switch off, then to heat just switch on". The AC was not automatic, obviously, and I had to manually switch it on and off.
I booked another hotel that night for a day later and so happy I did that. I couldn't get decent sleep and I developed a nasty cough as the temperature was up and down, with the thing noisily blowing air into the room the whole time. Oh and by the way the AC they have in the room was one of those removabvle ones,, so the sides of the window were letting in the outside cold.

As for the room, it wasn't impressive. The walls needed re-painting, the floors were warn-down. The bed was comfortable, I guess that's the only thing I liked. The bathroom was pretty standard.

They don't have a real lobby by the way, so you can't hang out there. The location is awesome which is why I chose the hotel to begin with. The facade and the quasi-lobby/check-in area is stylish, however the rest needs a massive upgrade. certainly didn't feel like I was in a 3,5 to 4 star hotel. More like 2,5 I'd say.

Room Tip: Dont even go there.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

I am so sorry to hear your stay with us was so unpleasant. I appreciate your honesty and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your experience so I am able to address your concerns directly. Comments from our guests are extremely important, allowing us to identify our strengths and highlight opportunities for improvement. We strive for excellence and pride ourselves on providing personalized service to all our guests.

Thank you for your patience and understanding regarding the A/C & heating system. We do service the units regularly to ensure they are working properly. I am so sorry for the inconvenience.

We are currently in the process of renovating our lobby and all guest rooms. In the coming weeks, our lobby will be furnished with seating and chic decor and our rooms will be given a fresh look with new carpeting and paint. Additionally, we are converting our Penthouse to a Lounge, where our guests will be able to enjoy breakfast and relax. We hope to see you again so you can experience all of the exciting changes.