“Amazing Pizza”

Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Description: Jim Lahey opened the doors to Co., his first pizza restaurant, in 2009. Located in Chelsea, Lahey put his own spin on pizza while celebrating artisanal food culture and communal dining. The name is short for Company, a word whose Latin roots refer to the phrase “with bread.”With bread as the centerpiece of the meal, Co. features a variety of toasts, soup, salads, artisanal meats and cheeses, and, of course, pizza.
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My wife and I started with drinks and toast. She had the eggplant while I had the chicken liver. The chicken liver was smooth, thin and rich. The drinks were all "gardeny" and refreshing.

For pizza, I ordered the Stracciatella which consisted of crushed tomato, stracciatella, arugula and black pepper. It was amazing. The arugula was put on after everything was baked, so it only wilted slightly. The crushed tomato tasted so fresh and the cheese was sooo creamy. It was the best pizza I've ever had.

My wife got the Quattro Cippola, which had bechamel, gruyere, mozzarella, caramelized onions, charred spring onions, young scallions, and fried shallots. It was also delicious, but she thought the charred spring onions were tough to eat as they were put on whole and tough to bite through, so I ended up eating a whole spring onion with one bite. I thought it was mild enough that it didn't overwhelm, but she would rather pick them off the pizza and eat them separate.

I really thought this was the best pizza I've ever had

This was the best pizza I've ever had. I ordered the strati

2  Thank wc4572

Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Recommended for my first visit to NYC and did not disappoint. Departed feeling very content and not stuffed as can be the case with typical pizza/pie as they call them. A great place when visiting the highline and highly recommend.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

Visiting New York and looking for a late lunch when we happened on Co. Perfect place for a bite to eat and to cool off or sit outside and watch the world go by and sip a beverage and snack. Tasty food including some small plates and pizza. House made sodas were fun too. Just right.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

If you're a tourist and here for a short stay, this is off the beaten path and not worth wasting your time on. There are so many excellent restaurants in NYC that you can go to.

Surprisingly, the salads at this restaurant are better than the pizza. I had the escarole salad, which came with a light Caesar style dressing and the beets salad. The escarole salad came in a nice sized portion that is shareable, but the beets were a little on the skimpy side.

As far as the pizza goes, I've eaten pizza in many places and throughout Italy too. Yes, a little char is nice, but the char on these pizzas was too much. It overpowered the delicate flavors of the toppings (also skimpy) and I found myself fighting through the char to taste anything else.

We had the flambé, leeks and sausage and the regular sausage pie. I would rate the flambé as the best of the three. The leeks on the leek and sausage are just too bland to stand up to the char. The sauce on the sausage pie was ordinary. Two people can share a pie, however you'll need two pies to fill up. At $18 - $20 per pie, this can get pricey, together with salads and drinks. Yes, I know. This is "artisanal" pizza, but to charge so much money for more burnt bread, than anything else is a crime.

The lemonade, was called cucumber/mint, however it tasted more like a lemonade mix.

The place was packed. We waited 40 minutes for a table. The owner obviously knows what he's doing and minting money. Thank god for trust funds!

Reviewed April 24, 2013

This place offers great pizzas (called pie). We were there for a sunday brunch and tried the brunch specials and we have been really surprised. Prices are ok for New York. Great atmosphere, nice waiters.
It's easy to find and "close" to Chelsea market as well as the highline park.

1  Thank Michael W