“Perfect Spot For A Great NYC Experience”

Staybridge Suites Times Square - New York City
Ranked #130 of 467 Hotels in New York City
London
“Perfect Spot For A Great NYC Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2010

We stayed at the hotel for a one week getaway to NYC. The hotel was just perfect - it's location was fantastic for a first time tourist, the staff was wonderful, welcoming and so friendly. We had opted and paid extra for a room with a view, and so we were delighted to be on the 28th floor, with a view of the Empire State Building to the left. The room itself was spotless, and the bed was heavenly soft! The kitchenette was great, having a full kitchen was a bit bizarre at first, but it was incredibly convenient to have the facility in the room. Room size was good, and a friend who lives in the city described the size as quite large for NYC. Breakfast was a treat! And the lounge that breakfast is served in was lovely, seemed like a big kitchen in a shared house. The street that the hotel is on is a bit run down, but there are three other hotels right next door and at no point did we feel unsafe (despite returning quite late on a few days). The only glitch we encountered was that our safe wasn't working, but they sent someone up to fix it straight away who did. Unfortunately, the safe went on the blink again later that evening, but we didn't report it again as by then we had locked our stuff elsewhere and so it wasn't an inconvenience.

All in all, I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone about to visit NYC, anyone. This is a great place to say!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Traveling_Traveller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,200)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Cologne, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2010

I stayed at the Staybridge Suites for one night and arrived late after my flight from San Francisco.
The hotel is in a good area, even though there are some construction sites around. It's just a few steps away from Port Authority Bus Terminal and Times Square.

The rooms with the kitchenette are great, the bed is big enough and the bathrooms are great: clean and bright!
My wireless internet didn't work at first and I had to check my flights for the next day, so someone came up at 12a.m. and helped me.

My room was a bit noisy and it was directed to the street and there were no curtains to close, but I slept well.

The breakfast was decent and the breakfast area is WAY TOO small!

I was very disappointed about the bell boy as I asked in the morning to get a taxi (I told him: I want a yellow-cab and no private taxi and he promised to get me a YELLOW CAB) for 6p.m. and when I came back from the city to get to the airport they told me I must use the private car cause they called it and if I wouldn't want to drive in this car (for $65 to JFK...) I had to pay a fee of $10... thanks!

All in all a good hotel, but don't expect TOO MUCH about the service from the bell boys. Better arrange transfer on your own ;)

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Kingsport, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2010

I had to be in New York on business for about 2 months, and stayed at this hotel. Not only is the hotel very nice with all the amenities you would want, but the staff and management made this the best hotel stay I've ever experienced and I generally travel well over 100 nights a year. Not only was I treated well but I was able to see that they extended exceptional treatment to all their guests.

I heartily recommend staying here if you're traveling to New York.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Albany, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2010

My husband, sister, brother & I stayed here last weekend. We had a FABULOUS stay!! The hotel is beautiful! The front desk was great with putting our rooms “on priority” so we could check-in a little early. I had reserved a King & a Double room. Both rooms were excellent. Super clean! The beds were great. My husband actually commented, he wished he could bring it home. You receive substantially more than you ever would in another NYC Times Square hotel. Breakfast was complimentary. I was expecting your basic coffee & roll… more like eggs, bacon, fresh fruit and more. It was excellent! Free internet and even free laundry! It’s just off the beaten trail of Times Square, super easy to get too. Jamie, our bellman, was extremely friendly and helpful! The staff was incredibly nice. I would highly recommend this hotel… we’ll definitely be back!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
San Francisco, CA.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2010

We stayed 2 nights using points in early April 2010. We stayed on the 2nd day it was open. The hotel itself was modern looking (both lobby and room). Each room came with a small kitchen (stove, microwave, fridge). Room was very clean, but little small (I guess it was typical for NYC hotels). Breakfast was fine, but it got pretty busy as usual. Free wifi and printing service was great. Problem: It was hard to get the free internet working in the beginning. I had to call the IHG IT web support and they had reassign my IP address. Additionally, the first room's TV system was probably hooked up and no signal came thru and the fridge wasn't on but I couldn't see the plug to check the connection. In the end, we switched our room and it was fine. I am guessing it was a new hotel and some of the rooms were still needed to be checked. The neighborhood was kind of sketchy at night but the hotel was right next to the subway station, and the bus station (which had a direct bus connection to JFK).

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Ft. Wayne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2010

I had not been to NYC in 30 some years, so I was quite surprised to see how much Times Square had changed. I found the area to be quite friendly, reasonably clean, and safe. Nice surprise!
The staff at the Staybridge, from the moment we arrived, was nothing short of fantastic! We had ridden motorcycles for 12 hours in 85 degree weather and I am sure we looked like heathens when we arrived at the hotel.
However, Louis, was extremely helpful and courteous and found "Jamie" to help us with luggage and finding the rest of our party. I cannot tell you how much we appreciated him!!!He walked down the block with me to find my husband so we didn't have to lug our bags all the way back from the parking garage. He was uncommonly helpful, and very nice and friendly.
My only concern with Jamie is he has never been on a Harley! Management would do well to repay his professional demeanor and excellent service with arranging a ride on the back of a nice new Ultra Classic. I am not kidding.
I also found the people at the desk to be very friendly, engaging, and professional. I would absolutely stay here again. I felt like I was leaving new friends by the time we left.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2010

We stayed in this hotel just two months after it opened, so everything was new and shiney. The check-in area was a tad small, but the entire lobby was clean and nicely decorated. The front desk staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The concierge was courteous and informative. The bellhop was fabulous and proactive. The staff in the dining area did a good job keeping up with the turnovers during the free breakfast buffet. And we were very pleased with the buffet, too -- eggs, bacon, fruit, pastries, yogurt, oatmeal, cereal, bagels, coffee, orange juice, etc, and lots of it! The staff restocked quickly and as necessary. The food was fresh and tasty. The breakfast area was a nice setting, with lots of windows that made it bright and sunny inside, lots of seating along with an overflow area, and plasma TVs. Our room was a good size as well (for New York City), and featured a modern kitchenette that had an apartment-sized fridge, sink, microwave, coffee maker, dishes, utensils, silverware, etc. All in good shape. We had two double beds that were really comfortable and plenty of room for two to sleep on each, a large plasma TV, chair with ottoman, closet, and dresser. There were four of us staying in the room, and we had enough area to store all of our luggage and clothes (for three days). The bathroom had an all-glass corner shower only, no tub, which was fine by us. Good, hot showers with great water pressure. Enough room in the shower to move around comfortably. Nice size vanity, with room to spread your stuff out. At no time did we feel cramped in the room. We weren't in it very often, but when we were, it was very comfortable and accommodating to our group of four. The only dings I would give this hotel are 1) the location - next to the office of parole and across from the bus station, but in all fairness neither posed a problem; 2) the elevators - they were a little small and at times we had to wait for a bit to catch one up or down; and 3) the price - it was a little more than what I wanted to spend ($240/night), but I think in line with what it offered and comparable to hotels in New York City. Plus, the kitchenette and free breakfast really made it a good value for the four of us. We also appreciated the business center where we could print out our boarding passes at no cost, and the free wireless internet. Its location to Times Square was ideal. We were within easy walking distance, but just enough removed that we didn't have to fight the craziness if we didn't want to and didn't get exposed to all the noise. The hotel is on 40th between 8th and 9th, so a little bit away from the hustle and bustle, which made it pretty quiet. We felt safe walking in the neighborhood (we were a group of four women - two adults, two teenagers). It was also convenient to all modes of transportation - walking, taxis, subway, busses, etc. I would definitely recommend this hotel for a visit to the city!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family