“A Review that mentions the lifts...”

Staybridge Suites Times Square - New York City
Ranked #141 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed March 9, 2014

I reviewed this hotel a few years ago (aptly titled "A Review that doesn't mention the lifts") and since I just spent a week back here I thought it would be interesting to contrast the experience. Some things are still great; the staff are welcoming, friendly and helpful. The free breakfast is still a great start to the day and although space can be limited it generally flows well. The location is still perfect for theatre, Port authority and shopping. The rooms are still well appointed. So why three stars this time?
Well, I have to mention the lifts; or should I say lift as one of them was out for maintenance this week. I was really lucky to be on a low floor so was able to take the stairs but I can totally empathise with the depressing wait for a lift and the frustration it brings - time is such a precious commodity on a holiday and waiting nearly 10 minutes for a lift (which can feel like 20) lets the hotel down badly. It's also not fair on the people working there because all of their great attentive service can be wiped out by the experience - one morning I heard a guy outside my room waiting for his lift literally cursing and kicking the walls in frustration with his luggage.
I don't know what the solution is - clearly unless they build it outside they aren't going to be able to add any more elevators but there might be some incentivising ways they could promote stair use (firstly by making the door not so heavy to open! lol) or maybe a deduction of $10 a day for swiping your room card on the stairs for lower floor guests which might help...

Room-wise the "newness" of my first review is a bit faded - that's to be expected - but the amenities are still good and for families on a budget this is still a great option.

Room Tip: Low Floor = stairs = less holiday time waiting for lifts!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank mixip
Donna R, Manager at Staybridge Suites Times Square - New York City, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2014

Dear Mixip,

Thank you so much for coming back and staying with us again! We have so many loyal guests who return to stay with us time after time, and I hope we will soon be able to welcome you back as one of them.
I do apologize that you experienced issues with our lifts during your recent stay. You are correct that we were conducting emergency repair on one of our elevators and it was out of commission for about 6 weeks. You are absolutley right that this was a source of inconvience for all of our guests as it contributed to increased wait times for elevators.
I am very happy to report that all of our elevators are now fully back in service! Though there in the future may be the occasional incident requiring service or mandated inspection, we do not anticipate any other extended repairs or shutdowns of our elevator service. Thank you for the wonderful suggestions. We will absolutley be looking into the possibility of implimenting some of them in the unlikely event of a future repair!
Thank you again for the very kind words about our staff, breakfast and rooms. Our team is truly our best asset and take great pride in providing you with a clean, delicious, fun, and friendly experience.
I hope we wont have to wait a few more years for your next review Mixip!

Donna Robinson
Assistant General Manager

There are newer reviews for Staybridge Suites Times Square - New York City

Reviewed March 9, 2014

Recently stayed at this hotel in NYC for a long weekend. I found the hotel staff very professional and pleasant. Our check-in was fast and the room was a great deal. The room was a bit small, but that's the usual for any hotel room in NYC. It was always spotless! The hotel is in a great location, we were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go; times square, rockafeller, empire state building, central park, lots of great restaurants near-by. The breakfast was awesome, they would even give you a to-go bag if you wanted to go back to your room to eat, or to-go coffee cups for you to bring with you if you were about to head out. The breakfast had great selection. One down-fall I noticed, a lot of people were frustrated with the elevators during our stay as one was not working, there were quite a few floors to this hotel so I would imagine the wait was quite long, we stayed on the 3rd floor so we just took the stairs. Also some mornings there was this awful noise the water system was making that woke us up (high-pitched squeel), only seemed to happen in the morning though and wasn't too much of a bother.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 8, 2014

Stayed for five days in February. Great location, clean facilities, friendly staff. Only issue was only 2 of the 3 lifts working which often led to long delays a waiting for a lift.

Would return and recommend this hotel.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank panther72
Reviewed March 8, 2014

My daughter and I had a fantastic 6 nights stay end of February. The location is central and fun. The staff was fabulous an very helpful, the room was perfectly equipped, big and calm. We even had a great view on the Empire State Building. I definitely recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: You should ask for a room not to near by the elevators. I also liked the fact of being on the 30th f...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Charlyly2014
Reviewed March 7, 2014

All members of staff were very friendly and helpful. Karina Castillo and Maria Luna were so pleasant to wake up with in the morning at the breakfast buffet. Food was excellent. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Waiting on elevators was a problem. Stay on lower floor.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Sally E
Reviewed March 5, 2014

I stayed in this New York Hotel for three nights as an extension to my trip to the U.S.A. after spending a week visiting my Family in Philadelphia. The room was quite spacious for a Manhattan Hotel. It was well equipped with a full size refrigerator and even had a small cooker and microwave as well as a Tea/Coffee Maker. There was the added benefit of Free Wi-Fi with a very good Internet Connection and I and no problems connecting my Laptop and Mobile Phone to it. Breakfast was included in the price of the Room. The Buffet Breakfast was very good with good selection of hot and cold items. My only criticism was that the Breakfast Room was not really big enough, but on the plus side there was an overflow section in the Bar area. The Hotel itself is in a very good location and is only five minutes walk from 42nd Street Subway Station and this makes getting around New York very easy indeed. This is an excellent New York Hotel to stay in which I would highly recommend.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank M25-Peter
Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

Very good hotel, clean and stylish. Great room, full kitchen clean and nice bathroom. Free Breakfast with many options of food, fruits, yogurts, etc. Great locations, just a couple blocks from Times Square. No parking available but they have an agreement with a parking on the next block for USD 39 per day

Stayed: February 2014
Megan B, Front Office Manager at Staybridge Suites Times Square - New York City, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us! We are glad to hear you enjoyed your time with us. We try to offer a number of options for breakfast to help our guests start the day off right and we are glad to hear you enjoyed them! We do hope you will come and stay with us again in the future!

Thanks Again!