“Central New York”

Staybridge Suites Times Square - New York City
Ranked #151 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Stayed for three night and used holiday inn points. Its right bang in the middle of Manhattan and the rooms a very large by NY standards. Its a busy place especially in the morning for the free breakfast. One of the elevators broke down one morning and we missed breakfast as could not get an elevator from the 31st floor. Finally got down and the staff arranged breakfast for us free of charge which I thought was excellent.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Kristen L, Front Office Manager at Staybridge Suites Times Square - New York City, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

Thank you for writing this review. We are thrilled to hear you thoroughly enjoyed your stay!

Here at Staybridge Suites we do our best to exceed our guest’s expectations and it is great to know you found our staff to be friendly and helpful because that’s what we’re here for! The elevator malfunctioning is unfortunately something we cannot foresee, however this is where our staff will take that extra step to go out of their way to make sure our guests are taken care of , just like your family!

As you mentioned, our location is pretty great, we are only just a few minutes away from Times Square and the theatre district as well as a subway stop at the end of our street, making it for easy access to all parts of the city your heart may desire to go!
We look forward to welcoming you back next time you visit New York City!

Reviewed October 1, 2012

An excellent choice beautiful studio rooms of a high standard the complimentary breakfast was excellent the only downside was the Lifts totally inadequate for the no of floors they service just 5mins from Times Square and Theatre land we had a room at the back of the Hotel it was nice and quiet would certainly return to this Hotel

Room Tip: Definitely would ask for a room at the back we had a king suite it was excellent
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple

Hello Pauline thank you for taking the time to write this review, we truly appreciate it!

As you mentioned the hotel’s location is quite convenient because it provides for easy access to all of New York City’s famous attractions, entertainment and within walking distance to Times Square! The breakfast buffet is amongst a favorite of our guests and is served every morning complimentary (M-F 6:30-10 S&S 7-11) for our guests to enjoy (which we know you did)!

In regards to our elevator situation, we are constantly working on new ways to improve the efficiency for our guests, but we do encourage our guests to come down earlier for breakfast to avoid the traffic that occurs during our peak breakfast times (7:30-10 on the weekday and 8-11 on the weekends). So, on your next visit please give us a call in advance, so we can make sure to get you the room you prefer as well as a low floor room where you can evade the elevator waits all together!

We are very happy to hear that you will be back to see us on your next trip to NYC!!

Reviewed September 30, 2012

As a travel agent I stay in lots of hotels worldwide - this was my first trip to New York and my expectations were more than met our room was a good size which apparently is rare in NY. I did request before arriving a high floor so as not to have an issue with street noise - this request was granted and we had a great view from the 29th floor. I really enjoyed the breakfast which was a bonus as normally this would not be included in most US hotels. Great location as well to wander around Times Square and nearby the bus stops for the Hop on Hop off bus tours for the Uptown and Downtown loops. Another plus was the free WiFi which is an absolute bugbear of mine when hotels charge for this. To address a few negative comments made by some other reviewers - firstly the lifts if you are on a high floor which has it's obvious benefits then you should expect to have to wait sometimes in hotel that has over 30 floors. Breakfast time is too busy and difficult to get a seat - well if you are going to go down at peak times this is only to be expected - we used the spill over area in the bar not a problem to us.

Room Tip: High floor to avoid any street noise
1  Thank Mark_on_Travel
Kristen L, Front Office Manager at Staybridge Suites Times Square - New York City, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. It means so much coming from someone in the industry!

We are happy you took full advantage of the amenities of the hotel and what our location has to offer. We are only steps away from the center of Times Square and all the major subway stations, granting you easy access to all the attractions NYC has to offer.

We appreciate all the tips you have left for our prospective travelers, so they can understand it from someone who has experienced the Staybridge Suites experience!

Let me know next time your around, we would love to meet you. Thanks for spreading the word!

Reviewed September 29, 2012

We chose this hotel based on TripAdvisor recommentdations. We were delighted with it. It was easy to get to using the Airtrain and subway from JFK and really well positioned for exploring New York.

Our room was a good size with a very nice kitchen area enabling us to prepare snacks. The room was clean and kept lovely by the housekeeping staff all week. The air conditioning was quite noisy but we did not find it a problem. Our room was high level and we did not have any problems with street noise or noise from other rooms. The lifts - which have been the subjectof some negative comment - were never a problem for us. The area round the hotel is a bit dingy but did not feel unsafe as there are plenty of people around.

The hotel provides a breaksfast buffet each morning and evening drinks and snacks on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday - a nice touch. We never had a problem finding somewhere to sit for breakfast and far from finding it chaotic we thought it was well organised with the staff working hard to keep places cleared and food supplied - always hot by the way which is sometimes a problem. I appreciated the complimentary internet during the week - something I wish was more common in Australia.

Would definitely recommend this hotel. We booked directly with the hotel and had nothing but praise for the front desk staff both before our stay and when we were there.

2  Thank baytravellers

Hello and thank you for commenting on our hotel! We are so glad you found us through Tripadvisor and that you were not disappointed!

Our rooms were made with the mindset of comfort and convenience to make all of our guests feel at home. We are thrilled to hear you found the room to be clean and comfortable. Our housekeeping staff is dedicated to making sure our guest’s rooms are spotless and clean, so we are extremely happy you noticed!

Our breakfast and social receptions are two of the most raved about amenities we offer complimentary to our guests, so we are glad you were able to join us for both! Thank you for pointing out our hardworking kitchen staff; they are truly the ones who make it happen perfectly on a daily basis!

Again, thank you for your great review and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip back to the Big Apple!

Reviewed September 29, 2012

This is my third stay in the hotel in so many years. I still like it and consider it to be one of the best redemption value in New York City, but this stay has some little problems and issues with it that made it less than perfect.
The Staybrige chain is part of the Intercontinental brand, on its lower end. It is an all “suites” hotel, which means you have a small kitchen in the room. As it is on the lower end of the brand, redemption rates are very competitive. Especially in New York City the hotel represents a great redemption value. Now a night cost 25,000 points (I booked the rooms before the devaluation and got them at 20,000). As you book with points, you can buy 10,000 points during the booking process. In the end, the room cost only 8,000 points (after the Chase PC credit card 10% rebate), which is a great deal for NYC.
Despite the name, the hotel is not in Times Square (but close enough). It is located across the street from the Port Authority, on 40th street, between 8th and 9th Avenue, which is about 10 minutes’ walk from Times Square. It is close enough to anywhere you’d like to go in the Times Square area.
Check-in experience was less than stellar. Despite being a Platinum member (which I realize means absolutely nothing despite being the highest status in the chain), checking-in around 2:30 PM, the room was not ready yet. Everyone else around us seems to get a room just fine. Short and long, by the time we decided what we want to do (about 10-15 min later) a room became available. As the reservation was made months in advance I knew I we were upgraded to a city view room. Frankly, I don’t know what that means because all rooms have the same view, apart from being on a high floor, which we were.
The problem with being on a high floor though, is the elevators. There are only 3 of those, and the cleaning staff uses them basically all times during the day as well. It means that waiting for an elevator can be a very lengthy situation, especially in the mornings when everyone tries to get to breakfast. This time around there were several instances that I had to wait 10-15 minutes to the elevators. Compound that with the fact that the doors are not sound proof and when people congregate waiting to the elevator and talk, one get a wake up “call” early in the morning just from people talking as they wait for the elevator.
At check-in I got the “platinum welcome gift." It was couple of candies and a note welcoming me as a gold member (but I’m platinum). Those welcome gifts are a joke. I would rather get a note addressing me by name welcoming me back than those gifts.
Another problem we encounter during the stay is how housekeeping treats dirty glasses. We used two glasses (one gets full stocked kitchen). The next day when we came back to the room, the glasses were in the dishwasher which for the next hour or so made so much noise cleaning those two glasses. Even if one disregard the guest inconvenience, the absolute waste of water and power to wash only two glasses seems excessive.
That said, those are only minor negatives. The hotel is a very good deal on points (room can cost $500-$600 easily), located pretty well. There is good fast free WiFi available throughout, free breakfast, and free dinners (reception) some days during the week. Despite the shortcoming this stay I will be coming back as this is my to go hotel when coming to New York City.

1  Thank MDDCFlyer

Hello and thank you for making the Staybridge Suites your hotel of choice when coming into the city.

We truly apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay. I am really sad to hear things didn't go as well as your expectations would have wanted. We never want our guests to have a bad experience because we take our customer service very seriously, especially for our Platinum Members.

We certainly appreciate your loyalty as a return guest and all the comments you have brought to our attention. We have already investigated into the problems you have experienced and have taken the proper actions to prevent these from occurring in the future.

I would love to speak with you further on how to we can make sure your future stays at Staybridge are much more enjoyable than the last!

Please contact me at your earliest convenience, so we can speak further on the matter.

212-810-4326

Reviewed September 28, 2012

Was here on a 5 day business trip. Picked this place due to location and attending an event at Jacob Javits. The room was quite good and clean. I found the amenities all to be in line with what I was expecting. Size of the room was also quite good and we were high up enough to not have much noise. You could still hear the streets in the background but it wasn't ever present. I believe it was the 20th floor. Like others have commented, the entry/reception area is often quite crowded and the check-in desk usually full. The staff don't really go out of their way although we always did find them pleasant. The elevators are slow too and you end up waiting quite a bit at high traffic times. The breakfast buffet is OK but nothing out of the ordinary. We often found it hard to find seating and ended up outside as most people didn't realize you could go sit there. Thankfully it was still warm enough outside and we enjoyed this as an option. I also found the gym to be OK and you can get a workout in. I was there usually at 5am so it was empty but around 7am it was often also full. In summary, this is a good place and if you need to be in the area and for a good rate, worth trying out. Don't come expecting 5-star service though and beware that when they are busy, things get a bit annoying.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Joizee_HD

Hello,

We appreciate you choosing the Staybridge Suites for your business trip in the city. We are committed to making our corporate guests extra comfortable and truly apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay.

We take pride in our customer service and as well as take it very seriously, so I would like to offer you a chance to come try us again and allow us to prove to you that we are always here for our guests and make sure they are 100% satisfied!

212-810-4326

Reviewed September 28, 2012

I stayed at these suites for 12 nights as I've just moved to NY & I get 2 weeks temporary accommodation from my company. I picked the suites as I wanted a kitchen to cook rather than being in a hotel & having to eat every meal out.

The lobby of this place is very small & easily over-crowded. When I arrived with 2 large suitcases plus cabin baggage, the doorman didn't offer to take my bags which was surprising but then he was too busy having a gossip with other staff.

My room was on a lower floor so had very little natural light, I always needed to have the bedroom lights on. Whilst there is a kitchen there is no extractor fan so my 1sts day attempt at cooking a proper meal meant my room stunk all night so I quickly ended up either microwaving or eating out - which defeated the purpose of getting a suite over a hotel room.

The lifts are very very busy & I often used the stairs as I was on a lower floor. On day of checking out I waited 15mins for a lift. On checkout I wanted to get a cab to midtown rather than the airport. This meant the doormen couldn't care less about me. I was having to try to hail my own cab whilst any guests going to the airport the doormen were getting them cabs or private cars. At one point I flagged down a cab & the doorman stepped across me & gave it to a couple going to JFK!! As its on a side street not many cabs come past. I looked astounded at the doorman, he saw my face then commented, "seeing as your only going to midtown you should get the subway". I had 2 large cases which he could clearly see. I ended up taking my bags & walking to the corner of 8th ave & got a cab in under 1min.

I normally am very appraising if hotels i stay at & I know it's 3 star so I'm not expecting super service but the staff at this place need to improve. Housekeeping on the other hand were very friendly & did a good job but seeing as the doormen are the first & last staff you see, their attitude & service is key.

• Stayed: September 2012

Hello Scot,

We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay. Please know that we do not condone this type of behavior from any of our associates and especially from our bellmen. If you've read from previous reviews, we take our customer service very seriously and this is not the kind of experience we would want any of our guests to go through.

It would be more than appreciated if you could contact me at your earliest convenience to elaborate in regards to what happened. This would allow me to take proper precautions to pinpoint the staff member in question and prevent this situation from happening in the future.

Our goal is to have our guests 100% satisfied and I would like you to know how appreciative we are for you bringing this serious problem to our attention and for any problems you experienced, I would like to offer you a return stay on us, allowing my staff to show you the real customer service way at Staybridge!

I look forward to speaking with you and resolving these issues.

P)212.810.4326